The Student Room Group

A grades without resits?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Ancient History, English and Film Studies :smile:
Reply 21
sorry i only do science and was a bit naive, thought they were all out of 600 lmao :')

the same thing applies though.... just add up what you have now (AS plus any youve done this year) and minus that from 320 :biggrin:
Reply 22
Well I think I will be able to do it for three reasons:

1) In Ancient History, I am aiming to get a B where, in AS, I got a C. In my recent practice essays and timed essays, I've been getting Bs and As, and this has raised my confidence.
2) In English, I resat and got an A, and I need an A for A2, where my teacher thinks I will get a A if I do well in the coursework and get a B in the second module.
3) In Film Studies, I am aiming to get an A. This is a coursework and essay based, with my courseworks (reflective analysis, screenplay and presentation script) all getting A's overall.

So, I understand that sometimes it's not enough to be optimistic and I understand that it was foolish not to resits, but I asked if I should resits and my teachers told me that I didn't need to.

Brings me to another point, if I don't get the grades, could I resit Year 13 again and then resit my Year 12 grades? Or wouldn't that work?
Reply 23
Right, you want UMS points, here they are :smile:

English: A 167 :smile: (this is after the resit, originally I got a C in English which got me 105 marks, but I'm not sure how much I have now. Hopefully you can help?) This is what I'd like to get an A in A2 :smile: Through resits, I now have two As from AS

Film Studies: very high C (bordering with a B grade - 137 :smile: Points: 105. This is also where I'd like to get the A grade. I have mentioned this, but I have 3 A grade courseworks already as this is also a coursework subject, as well as an essay one.

Ancient History: borderline C - 120 Points: 90 . This is where I'd like to get a B.

Drama Theatre: D 108 (but I have dropped this for obvious reasons). Points: 108.

Do your very helpful thing, guys :biggrin:
Original post by SPollitt1
Right, you want UMS points, here they are :smile:

English: A 167 :smile: (this is after the resit, originally I got a C in English which got me 105 marks, but I'm not sure how much I have now. Hopefully you can help?) This is what I'd like to get an A in A2 :smile: Through resits, I now have two As from AS

Film Studies: very high C (bordering with a B grade - 137 :smile: Points: 105. This is also where I'd like to get the A grade. I have mentioned this, but I have 3 A grade courseworks already as this is also a coursework subject, as well as an essay one.

Ancient History: borderline C - 120 Points: 90 . This is where I'd like to get a B.

Drama Theatre: D 108 (but I have dropped this for obvious reasons). Points: 108.

Do your very helpful thing, guys :biggrin:

You need 183 out of 200 in A2 Film Studies, which is 91%, to get an A overall (320 out of 400), meaning you'd need A* grades in all your coursework and A2 exam to get an A overall; it's just not realistic.

You need 160 out of 200 in A2 History to get a B overall (280 out of 400), which is an A in your A2 exams and/or coursework.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by xfirekittyx
Well if he got 66 percent of the ums last year and 96 this that would average as 81 percent overall. So yes you couldn't go from an E to a A* because it wouldn't balance out at eighty percent overall...but it is possible with a C :wink:

think im gunna cry.
I got a c for history last year and am re-taking them all to try and get my grade up :frown:
Reply 26
Original post by Flyteryder
You need 183 out of 200 in A2 Film Studies, which is 91%, to get an A overall (320 out of 400), meaning you'd need A* grades in all your coursework and A2 exam to get an A overall; it's just not realistic.

You need 160 out of 200 in A2 History to get a B overall (280 out of 400), which is an A in your A2 exams and/or coursework.

Looks like I've got some revision to do then :smile:
Reply 27
My teacher told me that, in Film Studies, my knowledge of Film would get me an A* and he hopes that I can reflect that! I have a shot! Still gunna revise like hell though! With History as well, I have been improved on my practice exams, through thorough revision (which shows I am dedicated), and I've been getting As each time :smile: I understand that you are giving me the honest truth and I fully appreciate that, thanks for replying :smile:
Reply 28
I'll ask my teacher if I can take back my coursework and asks how it can be improved to an A to A*
Reply 29
Original post by Flyteryder

Hey, might be intruding a bit here lol but can you help me work out whether I will be able to get an A overall in english lit?

This is for OCR English literature A2.

At AS I got 44/60 in the exam which was exactly on the boundary of a B.

Also at AS for the coursework module I got 35/40 which was exactly on the boundary of an A.

This gave me an overall raw mark of 79/100, which was a B.

This year, in the coursework unit I got 30/40 which was exactly on the boundary of a B.

So, would I be able to get an A overall in English, and what mark would I have to get in the summer exam?

The grade boundary for the summer exam last year was:

A= 51/60
B= 44/60
C=37/60
etc
Original post by Harry.K
Hey, might be intruding a bit here lol but can you help me work out whether I will be able to get an A overall in english lit?

This is for OCR English literature A2.

At AS I got 44/60 in the exam which was exactly on the boundary of a B.

Also at AS for the coursework module I got 35/40 which was exactly on the boundary of an A.

This gave me an overall raw mark of 79/100, which was a B.

This year, in the coursework unit I got 30/40 which was exactly on the boundary of a B.

So, would I be able to get an A overall in English, and what mark would I have to get in the summer exam?

The grade boundary for the summer exam last year was:

A= 51/60
B= 44/60
C=37/60
etc

Your A-level is out of 200. You need 160 (80%) out of 200 for an A.

160 - 44 (AS exam) = 116
116 - 35 (AS coursework) = 81
81 - 30 (A2 coursework) = 51

You need 51 out of 60 in the A2 exam to get an A overall, which from the boundaries you've given show that you'd need to have gotten exactly an A if this was this time last year. It seems to be achievable if you work hard :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31
MASSIVE BREAKTHROUGH! Went to the exam office at my school and she said I could resit my Year 12 grades along with my Year 13 exams in June! Result! They said because it was very late that I have to pay double, but hey! Worth it in the end, right???? Never been so excited about exams in my life!

Quick Reply

Latest