The Student Room Group

Asian Mullet

I am going to hair salon next week and I was thinking of getting an Asian Mullet, think its similar to the fashion mullet (google it if you dont know:smile:)

I think this suits oval faces the best but I have a round face:frown: I've been searching around on google to see if it suits round faces but I'm not really getting a clear answer.

I read that you should get a side fringe but I mines is maybe not long enough as it just goes past my eyebrows. And how long should my layers be?

Someone help, I dont want to give up on this hair style cuz I really like it!:frown:

Edit: Asian Mullet.jpg Found this, this is a round face right? I would love have this but the fringe is impossible to get if mines just go past my eyebrows right?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Hiya, I think I can help you here. I've had that hairstyle for a while now in different lengths and all sorts.

When I went to the hairdressers I didn't go prepared with pics (they won't know what you're on about! lol) and it didn't go great.. but they tried really hard to get it how I wanted, but yeah.. get lots of pics! and really emphasize about loads and loads of layers and starting them short. It's not common for them to cut hair like that (I may of just gone to a bad salon though *shrugs*..)

About the fringe.. it will be fine. It does look cool will it being a bit longer and you can get lots of razored points in the fringe as well and have it to the side a bit. But I wouldn't worry too much.

And it will suit a round face. But you can customized the hair line and fringe to suit yourself best anyway.

Have you considered cutting your own hair? It's pretty easy with this cut if you buy a razor comb (I just do my own now) plus layers need cutting back in to keep it looking all pointy and sharp at the ends so it saves trips to the hairdressers.
Go on youtube and type "how to cut an asian mullet" and there's a few good vids to give you an idea of how it's done. Then follow this guide as well if you're up for giving it a try.

It's probably an idea to go to the salon initially though, then you can experiment with layer lengths and keeping on top of it at home.
I brought my razor comb from boots. They're so easy to use! Plus a pair of hairdressing scissors to just finishing it off or for a quick trim on your fringe.

It really helps to have thick hair for this style. Mine is a bit finer texture but I wouldn't just totally not have this style if you're hair is fine, it will just gives a softer look.

Hmm what else.. (as if this isn't long enough :tongue:)
Ah if you go ahead and get this hairstyle you should get a good hair product. I use gatsby. It's a Japanese product and they're sooo good for defining the layers and giving lift. I use the green air-rise one and they sell them on ebay last time I brought some.

I think I rambled(?) lol sorry. Feel free to ask me something if I totally missed the point. :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by Tsubasa
Hiya, I think I can help you here. I've had that hairstyle for a while now in different lengths and all sorts.

When I went to the hairdressers I didn't go prepared with pics (they won't know what you're on about! lol) and it didn't go great.. but they tried really hard to get it how I wanted, but yeah.. get lots of pics! and really emphasize about loads and loads of layers and starting them short. It's not common for them to cut hair like that (I may of just gone to a bad salon though *shrugs*..)

About the fringe.. it will be fine. It does look cool will it being a bit longer and you can get lots of razored points in the fringe as well and have it to the side a bit. But I wouldn't worry too much.

And it will suit a round face. But you can customized the hair line and fringe to suit yourself best anyway.

Have you considered cutting your own hair? It's pretty easy with this cut if you buy a razor comb (I just do my own now) plus layers need cutting back in to keep it looking all pointy and sharp at the ends so it saves trips to the hairdressers.
Go on youtube and type "how to cut an asian mullet" and there's a few good vids to give you an idea of how it's done. Then follow this guide as well if you're up for giving it a try.

It's probably an idea to go to the salon initially though, then you can experiment with layer lengths and keeping on top of it at home.
I brought my razor comb from boots. They're so easy to use! Plus a pair of hairdressing scissors to just finishing it off or for a quick trim on your fringe.

It really helps to have thick hair for this style. Mine is a bit finer texture but I wouldn't just totally not have this style if you're hair is fine, it will just gives a softer look.

Hmm what else.. (as if this isn't long enough :tongue:)
Ah if you go ahead and get this hairstyle you should get a good hair product. I use gatsby. It's a Japanese product and they're sooo good for defining the layers and giving lift. I use the green air-rise one and they sell them on ebay last time I brought some.

I think I rambled(?) lol sorry. Feel free to ask me something if I totally missed the point. :tongue:

Thanks for the reply! :wink:

Oh I only have printed off one picture that is from the front view, I can't seem to find any good ones that are from the back and side view. Maybe you have any links please? :s

And about gatsby, I just ordered one off ebay and it will arrive in 6-12 days... Do you know what I could use instead while I wait for that?
Reply 3
Original post by pinkpaper94

Oh I only have printed off one picture that is from the front view, I can't seem to find any good ones that are from the back and side view. Maybe you have any links please? :s

And about gatsby, I just ordered one off ebay and it will arrive in 6-12 days... Do you know what I could use instead while I wait for that?

I guess it depends on how you'd like it to look.. but for a standard female version this is a good pic from all angles.
And I have 2 saved on my comp I used as a guide. She's a youtuber and made pics for like us to use to take to the hairdressers. :tongue:
23527_364831853879_181811348879_3721647_767819_n.jpg

bubzhairPNG.jpg

Something like a clay or rubber product is best. These two seem good: one ~ two :smile: I think the manga one would be best, I've not seen that one before.

Btw the gatsby is a bit weird to work with at first so they made vids on youtube (which are pretty funny to watch lol (they're not meant to be tho :tongue:)
Reply 4

Original post by Tsubasa
I guess it depends on how you'd like it to look.. but for a standard female version this is a good pic from all angles.
And I have 2 saved on my comp I used as a guide. She's a youtuber and made pics for like us to use to take to the hairdressers. :tongue:
23527_364831853879_181811348879_3721647_767819_n.jpg

bubzhairPNG.jpg

Something like a clay or rubber product is best. These two seem good: one ~ two :smile: I think the manga one would be best, I've not seen that one before.

Btw the gatsby is a bit weird to work with at first so they made vids on youtube (which are pretty funny to watch lol (they're not meant to be tho :tongue:)

Wow, thanks a lot for the pictures!!!:wink:
Just one question though, I'm very confused about how the back view of each picture
different... Is it that a bit of bottom layer of the back hair is put to the front on the shoulders theb the rest of the hair above is layered past the chin?
Reply 5
Wow, thanks a lot for the pictures!!!:wink:
Just one question though, I'm very confused about how the back view of each picture
different... Is it that a bit of bottom layer of the back hair is put to the front on the shoulders theb the rest of the hair above is layered past the chin?

Yeah that's pretty much it. :smile: It's basically a kind of bob with lots of layers and long bits underneath (starting from mid ears normally). So yeah if you put the long bits to the front over your shoulders it will look like a choppy bob from the back. Is that what you mean? it's not easy to explain hair! :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by Tsubasa
Yeah that's pretty much it. :smile: It's basically a kind of bob with lots of layers and long bits underneath (starting from mid ears normally). So yeah if you put the long bits to the front over your shoulders it will look like a choppy bob from the back. Is that what you mean? it's not easy to explain hair! :tongue:

Yeah I think so. Just got a few more questions :tongue: how do I ask for the long bits to be cut, and how many layers is 'many'? :redface:
Reply 7
You said something about a choppy bob if I put the long bits to the front.. I don't want that, what can I ask it like?:smile:
Reply 8
Yeah I think so. Just got a few more questions :tongue: how do I ask for the long bits to be cut, and how many layers is 'many'? :redface:

The long bits just need to be razored out so they aren't blunt, but kinda pointy.
As for how many layers.. well if the hairdresser has good experience they should be able to tell from the pictures. Just have them cut some in and get them to show you the back with a mirror and see how things go. The hairstyle is very forgiving though as it's meant to look pretty random and messy. :smile:
Reply 9
You said something about a choppy bob if I put the long bits to the front.. I don't want that, what can I ask it like?:smile:

Well it won't look quite as though you have short hair from the back, most bits find their way back round or bunch up a bit over your clothes. I wouldn't worry too much about the finer details and just go with some pics and talk to the hairdresser so they know exactly what you want. Or just have the 'bob' bit a bit longer? It looks cool either way. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Tsubasa
Well it won't look quite as though you have short hair from the back, most bits find their way back round or bunch up a bit over your clothes. I wouldn't worry too much about the finer details and just go with some pics and talk to the hairdresser so they know exactly what you want. Or just have the 'bob' bit a bit longer? It looks cool either way. :smile:

Okay I understand now :wink: Really big thank you for your time on answering my questions :biggrin: Can't wait till Tuesday now :tongue:
Reply 11
Okay I understand now :wink: Really big thank you for your time on answering my questions :biggrin: Can't wait till Tuesday now :tongue:

You're very welcome. :smile: Good luck on tuesday; I hope you like it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending