The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Android + Connectify...?

Hi there

Recently I have bought an android phone. Even though it comes with a data plan, I just want to find a way to get internet access without using the data quota. I have tried to connect to eduroam and it worked.

Now I am trying to set a wifi hotspot in my room. I've read some threads and found a software called "Connectify" which turns my laptop into a virtual router. I followed the instructions step-by-step and registered the mac address in resnet.

However, the only thing I can do with my phone is "whatsapp-ing". I can receive and send texts but I just can't get access to google play/facebook/twitter/ebuddy/gmail etc.

Anyone got the solution?
Reply 1
Have you set the cache in your phone?
Settings -> Wireless & networks -> Wi-Fi settings -> "More options button" -> Advanced -> WiFi proxy

Tick "enable proxy"
Set wi-fi proxy host to http://wwwcache.lancs.ac.uk
Set Wifi proxy port to 8080.

(Stab in the dark there that your android is the same as my android. :P)

Also, if you ever want to use other wifi again, it seems like you have to untick the "enable proxy" box to do that. (So I always use the mobile network on campus, as that is a pain in the arse, but I guess if you live on campus it's not so bad...) There's probably an app to get around it...I haven't looked. :-/
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by reloader
Hi there

Recently I have bought an android phone. Even though it comes with a data plan, I just want to find a way to get internet access without using the data quota. I have tried to connect to eduroam and it worked.

Now I am trying to set a wifi hotspot in my room. I've read some threads and found a software called "Connectify" which turns my laptop into a virtual router. I followed the instructions step-by-step and registered the mac address in resnet.

However, the only thing I can do with my phone is "whatsapp-ing". I can receive and send texts but I just can't get access to google play/facebook/twitter/ebuddy/gmail etc.

Anyone got the solution?

How did you get WiFi to work? It always asks me for a password, but nothing works :/
Reply 3
Original post by Vijay2010
How did you get WiFi to work? It always asks me for a password, but nothing works :/

I might be totally wrong, but isn't it the password that you use for LUVLE/ webmail?
Reply 4
Original post by krewetka
I might be totally wrong, but isn't it the password that you use for LUVLE/ webmail?

Yeah I had to change my password from the one given to me on enrolment....my bad!
Thanks anyway :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest