The Student Room Group

MChem or MPhys?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tamimi
I guess my course is just.. more organic. I like it though. :smile: Not sure why I'm getting a lot of negging though :frown: It's just opinion..

No, I guess, it's just a quirk of the course. If it helps I've +repped (it is weird that their is no slang term for that) you to make up for the people who think that rep is about whether you agree rather than whether the comment is relevant and helpful.
Original post by tamimi
I guess my course is just.. more organic. I like it tho
ugh. :smile: Not sure why I'm getting a lot of negging though :frown: It's just opinion..

Probably a mixture of perception and your optinal courses. Your degree won't be RSC accredited unless it covers core physical and inorganic topics.
Reply 22
Original post by tamimi
90% of chemistry is Organic. If you don't like that, then perhaps you should give some more thought to Physics.

What?

You obviously aren't studying chemistry then. Or you're just a poor attempt at a troll.
Reply 23
Original post by Dan1909
What?

You obviously aren't studying chemistry then. Or you're just a poor attempt at a troll.

Thanks for ridiculing everything I'm working for. Makes me feel fantastic. :frown:
Reply 24
Original post by tamimi
Thanks for ridiculing everything I'm working for. Makes me feel fantastic. :frown:

No problem. I'm not sure what degree you're studying, but if it's as you say it is, then it's certainly not chemistry.
Reply 25
Original post by Dan1909
No problem. I'm not sure what degree you're studying, but if it's as you say it is, then it's certainly not chemistry.

Yeah you're right. I guess I've just been incorrectly stumbling into the wrong lectures the whole time, every time.
Reply 26
Original post by tamimi
Yeah you're right. I guess I've just been incorrectly stumbling into the wrong lectures the whole time, every time.

What's your actual degree title then? Either it's not normal chemistry, or you're lying.
Reply 27
Original post by TheRobotLlama
First of all, currently studying Maths, Chemistry, Physics and History at AS at Sixth Form, scoring high A's in Maths, Chemistry and Physics in January and my first History exams in May.

I guess I always thought I was going to end up doing Chemistry at Uni, because I've really enjoyed the topic so far this year, like equilibria, catalysis, thermodynamics, the different types of bonding and reaction mechanisms, but less enjoy remembering conditions for countless reactions and the organicy stuff.

I really dislike Biology and want to keep my involvement with that to a minimum. I've always enjoyed Physics, but less than I have Chemistry. That may be down to a terrible teacher, but hey.

So, is a Chemistry degree really for me? Or would I be better suited for Physics? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

A degree like this might interest you... http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate-study/degrees-1314/umschesphy05

Kind of takes the best of both for you and limits the organic down to first year only, unless you choose to do more modules in subsequent years.
Reply 28
Pick chemistry - it sounds like you truly prefer it to physics. As for organic chemistry - it is different at university level and it's only one component of the course. I don't think it should put you off.

Original post by vedderfan94

Pfft, his Jimmies remain unrustled.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jamedz
A degree like this might interest you... http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate-study/degrees-1314/umschesphy05

Kind of takes the best of both for you and limits the organic down to first year only, unless you choose to do more modules in subsequent years.

Unfortunately for Chem Phys degrees they make you neither fish nor fowl. Whilst that isn't a problem for physics usually, it can be a problem if you want to be considered a chemist. I know that the Nottingham equivalent when I was there wasn't accredited by the RSC, so it was much more difficult to get Chartered.
Thought about something like Chem Eng? Someone once said to me it was heavily based on physical chem, not sure though, I'd check it out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending