The Student Room Group

Business/Econ Study in LSE, Harvard, NYU, USYD, UPenn or MIT?

Hi,

I'm considering that if I cannot find employment when I graduate I will seek a post-grad degree in Business/Economics. Any recommendations on where I should go in the list above? I'm not that concerned about prestige as much as employability prospects (considering the country - don't mind staying there after I graduate) as well as having a good academic and social atmosphere. I will be 21 when I graduate so I will still be fairly young. I aspire to work as a consultant or analyst in government or in business (strategy, management or economics).

Any advice is appreciated.
Reply 1
I'm not sure what USYD is?

Also, you will need to be a bit more specific re business or economics. For example, at most of the US schools you have mentioned, the only post-grad option in economics is a PhD and they are all crazily competitive. (NYU does offer an MA in Econ though.) US unis are also generally far more discriminating according to where you did your undergrad than UK unis are, so unless you come from a top uni your chances are already diminished. I *think* MIT Sloan offers a master's in management but stand to be corrected on this (LSE obviously does too).

Also, in the US prestige and employability are intertwined - I have seen jobs advertised that tell applicants to apply only if they have graduated from a top 10 school.
Reply 2
Original post by sj27
I'm not sure what USYD is?

Also, you will need to be a bit more specific re business or economics. For example, at most of the US schools you have mentioned, the only post-grad option in economics is a PhD and they are all crazily competitive. (NYU does offer an MA in Econ though.) US unis are also generally far more discriminating according to where you did your undergrad than UK unis are, so unless you come from a top uni your chances are already diminished. I *think* MIT Sloan offers a master's in management but stand to be corrected on this (LSE obviously does too).

Also, in the US prestige and employability are intertwined - I have seen jobs advertised that tell applicants to apply only if they have graduated from a top 10 school.

USYD is University of Sydney.

I'm talking about MA, M Management, MBA in the US and similar programs in the UK. So in the US prestige matters for employment? Is this for 'top' jobs or for above average jobs as well?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending