The Student Room Group

Would you have Sex with your Ex if they offered it???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by sweeter than a cherry pie
Just stating a fact. He is still in love with me. And my previous ex, from whom I've been apart for more than a year, is still sending me flowers. Problem?

Well aren't you just lovely.

It's obviously a problem for him. Flowers are expensive AND bad for the environment. You should probably make him stop doing that.
No way - he's now fat, ugly and hairy. I now have horrible visions in my head..
Reply 62
You are exempt from the recent declaration of ignoring quotes on this thread, as you've only just joined the fray, but all I'm going to say is that the "Problem?" was aimed at the poster who had quoted me, and evidently did have a problem with what I said. I agree that it's not the best thing in the world that a guy I have had no contact with for more than a year is still sending me flowers, but when I no longer have any contact details for him there's not a lot I can do.

Set them on fire and return to sender.
No thanks, the idea is to get over her, she broke up bwith me and I miss her but it won't help.
Original post by bananaslug77
Absolutely not, it makes me sick to think I ever even slept with him! haha.

Unfortunately, I'd have to agree
Original post by Foo.mp3
:eek: (given your sig) should we call the cops!? :tongue:

'When in Rome' :sexface:

Bandwagon ftw.

She was merely clarifying why she wouldn't go there with her ex's :s-smilie: That a guy gets hung up on a girl says nothing about how a girl rates herself :rolleyes:

You make one or two points that are good in principal but it's rather unfortunate that you have been hasty and, as such, they have been entirely misdirected in this instance

Can confirm this to be the case

Can also confirm, rather ironically, that she is genuinely one of the most humble and thoughtful people you could ever wish to meet

Clearly some of you have got the wrong end of the aforementioned 'stick' ~ and now have poop on your hands as a consequence :innocent:

Well, no, I haven't been hasty. I've commented based on what pie has said, not on whatever extra rapport you may have. That's by the by. I will respond only on how she has presented herself in this case, which is as a flatulant brag merchant. If that isn't the reality then I make no apology for being honestly unaware of this. In other words: I treat them as I see them.

You say you can 'confirm', lending no actual basis for your opinion. And you say that your view is 'clearly' so, when all that appears clear to me is that you're kissing bum. Where's the substance.
Did you completely miss the post I was answering when I mentioned the queue? Granted, it was a bit of an in-joke with the person I was responding to, but he made the inference that there was no-one around for me now (knowing full well as he said so that that is not the case), to which I replied that in fact there were several. It wasn't completely out of the blue, as you seem to think.

I could sit here and come up with a list of things I have to offer the world and the people around me, and chances are someone is still going to take offence at what I have written and take it upon themselves to shoot me down, because OBVIOUSLY they have me completely sussed as a person based on a couple of posts on a student forum. :rolleyes:

No, I didn't miss it. But the only way you could have justified such a flatulant comment would be if someone directly asked about it, which no one did. And since he knew full well, I see no reason for you to say it. Who you kidding? I didn't say it was out of the blue, I said that no one asked, which is a point of fact.

Someone might, but it wouldn't have been me. And who's claiming to have you completely sussed? Calm down, and don't go re-contextualising just because you received a righteous gut-wrenching on this point (and only this point).
Original post by Foo.mp3
Aye you have, unfortunately you've interpreted a bit of banter/an 'in' joke between friends as her being seriously arrogant

Seriously is putting words in my mouth. Generically would be more accurate since, in mitigation, she ain't exactly the first girl or first PERSON to capitalise on their desirability to the opposite sex in a way that is actually a bit sad.

Remember the post where pie reiterates her arrogance regarding the queue in response to a poster that wasn't you? Something about 69ing? There's no escaping the TJW verdict. :wink:

A brag but, a typical brag, she remains.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Seriously as in 'in all seriousness' e.g. straight faced arrogance

That's flirty banter, and not serious trust me! hehe

Well, maybe it was, and maybe it wasn't. But on the face of it, if it looks like a thing, smells like a thing, and reads like a thing

then it probably is that thing

which is a sad spot of bragging.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Seriously as in 'in all seriousness' e.g. straight faced arrogance

She was being playful and making a mockery of the charge, hence the winky face, and suggesting that if she was going to be called up on anything it should at least be something that presents as arrogant if taken seriously (rather than some flimsy connection between stating that ex partners were still hung up on her and an inflated sense of self world). Capeesh?

Flippin' edits! You're like the freakin' hydra beast you are. Where one weak modicum of an argument gets beheaded, a few more spring up in its place. You're changing words around like some sort of tycoon. You argue like Tetris, in word form, changing them around in a desperate attempt to make it all fit.

I've based my argument more or less solely on the queue comment, leaving the exes comment in the periphery, to further but vaguely reinforce my point but if we must go there

let me just say

that there is a considerable difference between 'stating that ex partners were still hung up' and going, he's still in love with me. The other one sends me flowers. (No quotation marks = realise it's not verbatim, not going to dig deep)

There's a reason she wrote it the way she did and it smells of low status. It was an unnecceasrily dramatic way to go about things. Incidentally if she had wrote it as you have, as in 'my ex is still hung up on me', I'm sure she would've avoided some of the negative responses that have been based on the ex comment because it's more neutral and less stickupdabum.

If anything it sounds more like desperation on the exes' parts anyway and so I wonder if it's anything to be proud of in the first place. Well done, ya pulled a clinger. Again: how. Original. But that's a tertiary point.
Original post by Foo.mp3
(I updated the above reply)

I hope to God you're not reading law

It didn't present as that 'thing' in all seriousness, at worst it presented as a bit of flirty banter, which hardly warranted personal attacks, nor your acerbic comments when all she'd then done is attempted to defend herself in a light hearted manner. I'm not all that keen on the type of girl you've confused her with but I would never bare such antipathy, unless perhaps I had a major axe to grind.. :rolleyes:

You don't accept that you, and several other posters, were mistaken to assume certain things and that you both individually, and collectively, acted improperly. Ok. Well I've said my piece now so all we can do is agree to disagree and I shall hope that reason/humility win through in the end of their own accord :smile:

I am, so buckle up.

You're mistaken to call anything I've said an assumption. It's based purely on the text that she has written, nothing else.

Your personal experience is obviously influencing you and that's understandable, but no good to you here because you cannot undo what she has written, and that is what she is being judged for. And that alone.

Up against all my fine prose, the only alternative you've skantily offered is that it was flirty banter. Brilliant. You only think you know that because of your personal experience which the impartial reader has not had. And even if that were the case, then she should step up and realise how she herself comes across in this instance to somebody who doesn't know her in real life as you do - and I hope that the plethora of negative feedback will alert her to this in future.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Flattered that you're so taken with my disjointed 'style' :smile: I had to revisit it as I realised I had misremembered what she'd written, went back and had a look, and then changed my comment accordingly. So solly :^_^:, not used to dealing with quick-fire eager beavers pouncing on my posts with such immediacy :tongue:

Hardly a sound basis for a character assassination really is it? :redface:

Wise to leave that one well alone, any arrogance extricated from that'n must be imputed and you know what they say about assumpion..

This is the truth. There is no hint that these facts have anything to do with her personal charms :s-smilie:

Again this is rather ironic as she doesn't think in such terms, if you knew her/or even checked her post, you'd get a very different 'wiff', perhaps your detectives nose was a little off, at any rate I've a feeling it would certainly be put to more constructive uses than this mud slinging..

Ahh well, welcome to the JW experience then.

If I had extended the so-called character assassination to encompass pie's entire character then yes, but I didn't. It's all congruent and deliciously applicable to what she actually wrote. So nerr.

The very style of writing oozes of ill-placed arrogance. This is a point of opinion, on which we will indeed agree to disagree.

Once again you're attempting to defend what has already happened with idle proclamations of how it isn't so. What matters is the fact of what was written, and the conclusions drawn from that, both literal and tone and all that other lovely analysis. Yes, I am open to the possibility that my conclusions are not the reality BUT the conclusions are nevertheless correct as far as the words written go. And that cannot be changed.

You wish you thought this was just mud slinging. What next? Am I a cat........

......... In a hat?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Foo.mp3
You had no way of knowing whether she was being deadly serious or not - indeed the smilies and general tonality would indicate that she wasn't, particularly to anyone who had taken the time to establish what her nominal tone/attitude is (before launching into what was, yes, a fairly damning critique of her character)

Pretty sure the initial incriminating post was lacking in the emoticon department and profound in its brevity.

Taken the time to establish a yada yada... er, no. As if anyone can be bummed to do that. Instead, I've a better idea: why doesn't pie simply write as if the reader will actually take what she says on face value and not expect that they will read too far beyond what has been written? It would be ludicrous to put one's take on a post on hold until they've romped about trying to ascertain an unreasonable extent of clarity about the poster. But, more importantly, it would alleviate the poster of their responsibility to not write things that can easily be seen as arrogant. It's that simple.

Fairly damning, yes? Fair enough.

*Vanishes in a puff of logic* :cool:
Back on topic.. no I'd rather die than go anywhere near my ex.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Pretty sure I remember hearing "I've based my argument more or less solely on the queue comment", and I've dealt with how any supposition why, in her original post, she would feel the need to explain that she wouldn't go back there with her ex's was because they still had strong feelings is just that - a supposition (and an unsubstantiated, slanted, and hence dubious one at that)

If I were being remotely sensible/responsible in my OP I'd have said the same (my ex has/may continue to find it difficult to shake residual feelings for me so it'd probably be a bad idea to go there really)

Hence mud slinging. Ill informed, slapdash, anonymous, internet vitriol. We let ourselves down when we engage in it, still more when we don't hold our hand up in retrospect

We must all take responsibility for the way in which we air our thoughts and feelings, however light hearted or serious. Indeed, given that this is the internet, a place that encourages complete strangers to get excited (when let's face it, most of us wouldn't be so quick tempered/firey tongued in polite company) one must expect some degree of criticality for sure. To suggest, however, that one must write with absolute seriousness in every post on a student forum for fear of being jumped upon in an ugly manner is a little far fetched however

For sure, but there's a difference between voicing concern / constructive criticism / teasing, and going after someone/being so caustic and judgmental; when it's a group attacking it's that bit worse

I have some sympathy here as, partly thanks to silliness/tongue in cheek comments, in threads I tend to come across as, at best, highly self assured and a bit of a douche, at worst, extremely arrogant, a bit better when talking one to one with people, and probably a great deal better in person (or so I'm told). Not everyone takes themselves/things too seriously, again particularly online; ok maybe sometimes perhaps we should be more serious, and doubtless characters like me in particular, if we care about looking like wallies (I don't really), but there's no need to be nasty about it eh, even if we do have an axe to grind, we can be better than that :smile:

Again, you're re-contextualising what was actually written in order to suit yourself. 'Strong feelings' were not the words used. 'Still in love with me' were: an unneccessarily dramatic way of putting things. The fact that you have yet to quote this directly, and have attempted to use synonyms with different nuances, tells me that you see what I'm getting at.

First bolded bit self-contradicted by second bolded bit (i.e. you accuse me of being ill-informed whilst at the same time agreeing that I cannot be reasonably expected to sniff out every possible fact. Obviously we draw the line between necessary level of information and unreasonable level of sniffing in different places). As I have already said, I'm open to the possibility that my conclusions are wrong in relation to the reality but NOT WRONG IN RELATION TO WHAT WAS WRITTEN, a distinction you have so far been unable to grasp.

You differentiate yourself from pie in third bolded bit, by demonstrating an ability to admit that you've come across a certain way, however unintentionally. That is crucial. All pie had to say, if she were bothered (which I doubt she is, but I'm enjoying battling it out with you nonetheless, hydra person), is 'oh okay, I GET how it sounds like that but it's not the tone I intended to take' - and that would've been enough, just that basic acknowledgement. Enough for me, anyway. As it was, it's the insisting that no it doesn't sound like that, when it does, that dropped her in the firing line.

As for group attacking, that's not my responsibility. It is not my dirt that other people agree with me and I find myself in the majority. I say what I want to say regardless. Besides, it's not 'ganging up' as much as it is basic cause and effect. It is deserved. Nothing that I've seen from other people (and I haven't fine-tooth-combed it) has been unreasonable/outside of the boundaries of what MAY be possible of someone choosing to write like that... EXCEPT for someone who said something about pie 'breaking people's hearts' as if for leisure. I don't really agree with that, as there's nothing in pie's writing to imply that she is manipulative... just boastful, which is the thrust of my argument.

There's being nasty and there's drawing fair and reasonable conclusions from the fact of what has been written. Again we draw the lines in different places. Or maybe the same places but for situations where you have a bum-kissing agenda. Want to prove me wrong? Then ADMIT that the original writing - hell, BOTH the queue AND the ex comments - were written in a way that was unneccessarily boastful, whether deliberately or not!

It's just that doing that might ruin your own position in the queue, so I don't expect much other than more Tetris antics.
(edited 11 years ago)
Well put it this way; if I had the choice between jumping naked into piranha-infested waters smeared in bacon fat, and having sex with my ex, it would be a damn hard decision to make.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Honestly I wasn't; I didn't want to misquote and she'd removed the post. 'Still in love with me' is an expression of strong feelings is it not? :confused: Can we not split hairs?

I suppose being as you have had little experience of me and my capabilities/conduct where proper argumentation is concerned you cannot be expected to give me too much credit..

I often flag others for misrepresentation, and assure that you that I would not deliberately go about it myself when I see it as a cheap/deflective tactic, criticise others for it, and know only too well how easy it is to spot

I honestly don't see how I've referred to it as pertinent, the nuts of the bolts of the issue are what matter here. The message concerning the words upon which my comments are based remains the same, however we paraphrase them, and the facts of the matter remain the same re: point addressed in my last PM concerning contextual suppositions relating to 'drama' and 'boastfulness'

One can be ill informed but still be open to criticism for making rash judgements + issuing related statements without being in possession of all of the facts/seeking to quiz/investigate to better ascertain the facts. No contradiction there :holmes:

If you genuinely believe this then please see the following for reference:

I'm sure if she didn't feel as got-at she might have done, she's a pretty humble, and if anything overly apologetic/conflict averse person. I wouldn't expect anyone to hold their hand up when they haven't, in fact, done anything particularly wrong though. The only person I'd expect to do that is.. :2euk48l: ..he died for our sins, so she wouldn't have to :h:

She said she couldn't especially appreciate how she, as you put it: "did indeed come across as quite boastful" ~ (the bolded makes it sound far too categorical). That is not to say that she could not conceive of a way in which she might have come across as quite boastful to those 1) Supposing that her OP came from an overly dramatic/queen-of-me place; and/or 2) Taking her totally seriously in subsequent posts

Would you feel the same way about stoning someone? Or about carbon footprints?

Ethics reach a higher level than plausible deniability re: individual actions vs. their wider, contextual, ramifications; you seem both smart, and decent, enough to realise that, and to take it on board

She was also told to shut up in quite an aggressive and derogatory manner by the guy who was banned

Oh dear. I don't need to score points, nor would I cheapen myself/castrate myself/devalue my soul by doing so; for me this is an ethical matter

I smite dragons whether fair maidens thank me for it or not :horse:

(the 'dragons' are metaphorical you understand :tongue: although perhaps not in the case of tartan, she certainly behaved like a reptilian beast with a sore head breathing fire!)

Uneccessarily? We are not the arbiters of what is necessary, on this, reasonably un-gagged forum

I acknowledge that she left herself open to criticism by posting something which could be interpreted as queen-of-me, and probably (unwittingly) stoked the flames with her lighthearted reposts

The antipathy in some of the subsequent rhetoric was not justifiable however, and I stand by the notion that one cannot not substantiate claims on a persons character with such little information, let alone when said information is far from cut and dry either way :beard:

As I alluded to in my original response, I don't do queues anyway so don't you worry about such things :wink:

Strong feelings and then there's L bomb. A difference worth pointing out, more than splitting hairs.

Credit where credit's due. You're a clever cookie, but are trying too hard to use Big Words to meander around the crux. Basically you've resorted to waffling.

Sorry but I can't take your word for that.

No, you cannot gut someone for not having all the facts or as much personal experience as you, whilst simultaneously acknowledging that it would be unreasonable to expect the standard TSR-er such as myself to have such a level of understanding before posting. You are barking up two trees at the same time there.

Good, then if you're not basing your argument on who pie is in reality (which you did from the beginning), then we're not against eachother on anything. You say you haven't contested how it might of looked.... that IS how it looked... and I responded accordingly, proportionately and - according to your own PM - with restraint.

See, again, you're bringing up points that relate to your personal experience, NOT to the words written. So you STILL fail to grasp the distinction between who she may be in real life and what she chose to write. And you must stop dancing around that failing!

As got-at, please. When you throw a ball at a wall, and it rebounds and hits you in the face, is it now the ball's fault?

'That is not to say that she could not conceive...' That's for her to say, not you. That's what should have been said, to avoid a righteous shooting down.

The stoning bit is about as a relevant as a pig and an elephant and a donkey being utterly autonomous and leading separately unremarkable lives... but yes I WOULD feel the same way IF the victim somehow deserved it, which is difficult to imagine. Unlike in this case, where my input, at least, makes sense.

Okay, well, that's not nice is it? Nout to do with me though, as I'm not singing the same choon.

I think tartan's first response was bang on the money. No comment on the rest.

It is as though you are generalising all the responses as being from one entity, and calling that entity TJW. I don't give a tinker's toot what other people may have said. Yes, it does sound like some of it was unreasonably antipathic, but not me and mine, and you've more or less admitted that in the PMs.

The conclusions are only *NOT cut and dry if you try to expand them to include all of this person's being, which I haven't. But there is absolutely no escaping, by hook or by crook, that yes, it DID sound queen-of-me or whatever you want to call it, and therefore the responses that penalise pie for that ARE fair enough UNLESS they go beyond restraint, which other people did, but I didn't.

I therefore stand by everything I've said, and actually think you're being remarkably naive about this. There exists within pie's constitution a particular drive that compelled her to write the way she did, which is anything but humble. Whether that drive is the prevalent feature in her overall personality I don't know, but wake up kiddo, because as much as you favour yourself some knightly parragon of virtue, all you've done here is serve up a ripe ego-feeding of the tallest order.

I'm seriously gonna stop replying now and, as ever, decline to read any further response/PM because I think we're both more or less reduced to reiterating/repeating former points.

Nice try, but you can never win, you know why? Because....

You support Liverpool.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 77
Probably since even though she doesn't deserve me I still love her.. FML
Erm no.
Reply 79
I wouldn't....it would just give me false hope

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending