The Student Room Group

Dropping out of Sixth Form

Hi guys i dont know where to put this so i decided to ask my questions here. At my sixth form here I'm really miserable and doing pretty badly. I dont think higher education is for me and I only went to do it because i dont know what else you can do. Is it true what my parents say that you need to go to University if you want to be successful. Im thinking if im struggling with A levels now then why waste so much money on University which is just going to be harder.

Should i resit the year? should i do an apprenticeship or find a Job?

What else can i do besides Sixth form? Im really lost as to what i can do and any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Apprenticeships and Armed forces are all i can think of.

Don't stay in if you don't enjoy it. :smile:
Reply 2
What are you in interested in doing? Maybe look for college courses and specialize in a particular subject... or look for apprenticeships, but they are hard to come by because of the recession
Reply 3
I know loads of people in fantastic apprenticeships.. getting paid and doing a qualification doing things they really enjoy? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by HoA5
Apprenticeships and Armed forces are all i can think of.

Don't stay in if you don't enjoy it. :smile:

Was thinking of the army but right now my physical fitness is not very good currently recovering from a torn quad and broken ankle.
Reply 5
Also how could i go abouts telling my parents. I think they might freak and say how Uni is the only route to a successful life.
Reply 6
dont drop out, you will regret it.
Reply 7
Original post by day1100
What are you in interested in doing? Maybe look for college courses and specialize in a particular subject... or look for apprenticeships, but they are hard to come by because of the recession

I like History and Geology, cant think of any apprenticeships though i like.
Reply 8
Original post by isp
I agree.

A-levels aren't difficult at all. A trained monkey could probably answer the first 40-50% of the questions on each paper which come up year after year. A bit of practice and you could ace the other 50% of the paper. Just requires a little bit of intelligence to grasp the concepts which shouldn't take long at all, and effort.

The most difficult part of A-Levels is actually having the motivation to do all the boring work, not necessarily them being 'difficult'

I know people will say rubbish but i genuinely am struggling with A levels and i do try hard to cope. I just dont think its for me.
Reply 9
Original post by johnharris19944
I know people will say rubbish but i genuinely am struggling with A levels and i do try hard to cope. I just dont think its for me.

which A levels are you taking?
Reply 10

Which subjects are you taking and what necessarily are you struggling with? Is it the concepts? Is it the past-papers that you've attempted and have had no avail?

1. Find the problem (which shouldn't be too hard).
2. Make a plan (a solution)
3. Execute

Most people can find the problem, the majority can make a plan and think of a solution to correct the problem, however, many candidates fail to execute it correctly. All you need is a bit of deliberate practice
Reply 11
try exploring another area of study you might like, i dropped out of my sixth form a few years back, I later found out that i enjoy other areas of study, and am currently studying at a different college. Have a look around, get a job, this will sort of open your eyes to what you might want to do.

university isnt really the only way to success
I'd say drop out. Quite alot people in my year dropped out after the first year of A levels, but not just then, people dropped out throughout the whole school year aswell so what you want to do isn't unusual. You'd be way better off if it just isn't for you and you can get paid during apprenticeships aswell. Sometimes people even say apprenticeships are the better route because so many graduates come out of uni after 3 or 4 years and find it hard to get a job whereas all the people that went to college/did apprenticeships are earning already and have secure jobs. Just try to explain this to your parents, I mean it's for your happiness aswell.
Original post by isp
I agree.

A-levels aren't difficult at all. A trained monkey could probably answer the first 40-50% of the questions on each paper which come up year after year. A bit of practice and you could ace the other 50% of the paper. Just requires effort, and a little bit of intelligence to grasp the concepts which shouldn't take long at all.

The most difficult part of A-Levels is actually having the motivation to do all the boring work, not necessarily them being 'difficult'.

You can't really speak for everyone. I personally found A Levels very difficult and didn't do well, despite trying hard at them.

OP, I'm not too sure how to best advise you as there are quite a lot of options out there and I'm not sure which would be best for you individually. Apprenticeships and jobs are not bad ideas, but I've been trying for one for ages and not been very lucky, so do be careful risking the chance at being unemployed for months on end, cos it ain't nice!

You haven't even finished AS year anyway, have you? I think you should at least finish them and see what results you get in them before making any strong decisions on what to do next.

For reading around some options, try this website
Reply 14
Original post by dongonaeatu
which A levels are you taking?

Original post by isp
Which subjects are you taking and what necessarily are you struggling with? Is it the concepts? Is it the past-papers that you've attempted and have had no avail?

1. Find the problem (which shouldn't be too hard).
2. Make a plan (a solution)
3. Execute

Most people can find the problem, the majority can make a plan and think of a solution to correct the problem, however, many candidates fail to execute it correctly. All you need is a bit of deliberate practice

Im taking Chemistry, History , English Literature and Geology. I think im finding the whole thought of juggling 4 subjects as well as me personally finding Chemistry extremely difficult to grasp.

I have tried quite a few different ways of revising from past papers to book notes to just reading through guides.
Reply 15
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
You can't really speak for everyone. I personally found A Levels very difficult and didn't do well, despite trying hard at them.

OP, I'm not too sure how to best advise you as there are quite a lot of options out there and I'm not sure which would be best for you individually. Apprenticeships and jobs are not bad ideas, but I've been trying for one for ages and not been very lucky, so do be careful risking the chance at being unemployed for months on end, cos it ain't nice!

You haven't even finished AS year anyway, have you? I think you should at least finish them and see what results you get in them before making any strong decisions on what to do next.

For reading around some options, try this website

Yeah im finding As very difficult and well my parents say their easy im struggling greatly maybe because of pressure, my health has been pretty bad outside of school. Bullying in the form of Racism and well i would say no friends. Im not trying to make an excuse but i cant seem to cope with it all.

I dont really even want to finish my AS's because i know il fail and ive tried really hard but to no avail. I want to tell my parents how i feel but i dont know how without sounding pathetic.
Reply 16
Couldnt you join the army or apprenticeships or even do a new year of sixth form/college?

Do you parents know your getting bullied and why do you find it so hard to tell them, im sure if you told them what you have said here they would understand wouldnt they?
If you're really not enjoying it...then your parents will have to understand that there are other options for you that will mean you're happier. Yeh, they may want you to be the typical 'university-good-grades' kinda student..but if you're not happy, then there's no point.
Also, if you're at AS..hmm, well tbh I really struggled with AS. I moved to a totally new school..leaving my friends behind and finding it hard to cope with living so far away from the actual school!
BUT tbh I got B D E U at AS.
Absolutely CRAP! I dropped Biology (U) and continued with the other three. I retook my Politics. Moved it up from an E to an A. I also did better at A2 first time round than I did with AS first time round! Got a B in English where I had previously got a D. And A2 Politics I got an A.
So you never know, second time round, you may be more prepared and ready to give it a better shot. Tbh, I'm so glad I stayed after getting those results. I was predicted BCD...now it's ABB.

Inbox me if you need any help lovely x
Reply 18
Original post by Cazzaline1
If you're really not enjoying it...then your parents will have to understand that there are other options for you that will mean you're happier. Yeh, they may want you to be the typical 'university-good-grades' kinda student..but if you're not happy, then there's no point.
Also, if you're at AS..hmm, well tbh I really struggled with AS. I moved to a totally new school..leaving my friends behind and finding it hard to cope with living so far away from the actual school!
BUT tbh I got B D E U at AS.
Absolutely CRAP! I dropped Biology (U) and continued with the other three. I retook my Politics. Moved it up from an E to an A. I also did better at A2 first time round than I did with AS first time round! Got a B in English where I had previously got a D. And A2 Politics I got an A.
So you never know, second time round, you may be more prepared and ready to give it a better shot. Tbh, I'm so glad I stayed after getting those results. I was predicted BCD...now it's ABB.

Inbox me if you need any help lovely x

They want me to be that typical university student as both of them are quite intellectual people Dad graduated from Cambridge and thinks hes one of those elite people and Mum to a lesser extent though. They think since their smart that i should be but i really am not i struggle greatly.

I dont think any of my grades would increase since doesnt it just get harder the next year?
Original post by Bryci
Couldnt you join the army or apprenticeships or even do a new year of sixth form/college?

Do you parents know your getting bullied and why do you find it so hard to tell them, im sure if you told them what you have said here they would understand wouldnt they?

No they dont i dont want them thinking im making an excuse to leave. I dont know how to confront them to tell them how i feel without getting really upset. I doubt they would understand.
Yeah im finding As very difficult and well my parents say their easy im struggling greatly maybe because of pressure, my health has been pretty bad outside of school. Bullying in the form of Racism and well i would say no friends. Im not trying to make an excuse but i cant seem to cope with it all.

I dont really even want to finish my AS's because i know il fail and ive tried really hard but to no avail. I want to tell my parents how i feel but i dont know how without sounding pathetic.

Yeah, I had similar issues too so I know where you're coming from :hugs:. You only have literally a month or two until exams are over though, so after being at sixth form for this far in, don't you think you may as well finish first year right till the end instead of throwing in the towel now? That's what I'd really recommend you to do for now if you can. Then when you have your AS results in August you can say you've at least tried them and can have a clearer idea of what to do next.

Also, after you've done this academic year, if you still wanted to do your A Levels then I think maybe it could benefit you doing them at a different sixth form or college, so you're away from the bullying and in a new environment where you might meet nicer and more mature people to get on with? :smile: But even if you don't choose to continue A Levels, leaving your current sixth form to do whatever would probably be for the best anyway - you can't really thrive well in an environment that makes you so unhappy, can you?

As for dealing with your parents, if you're finding it hard to speak to them, maybe you could try writing them a letter or email? I've done that before :yep:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest