The Student Room Group

Standard Grade Physics paper 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by nerd434
Yeah that's what you do, because it asked you to calculate the Potential Energy before it. Then you use Energy Conversion, where Ep = Ek.

I just didn't know how to rearrange to find VΒ² which drove me insane.

Yeah.

I originally multiplies the e by two but it didnt look right, then did it again and divided the mass by two which go trid of the fraction?:confused:
Reply 21
Original post by nerd434
What did people put for the question on the iron where it asked you to find the electrical energy?

I did E = P x T, what about everyone else?

e=pt here, looked right at the time..
Reply 22
Did anyone else get 15.5m/s for the falling tile question?
Reply 23
How did you get it
Reply 24
I ended up finding the ep again for the mass of the one tile and the equaling it to ek to find v
Reply 25
Also what did you write for the question about the state change in the fridge coolant?
Did anyone get 230 ohms for variable resistor?
Reply 27
Original post by jamieguitar101
for the one about different telescopic lens sizes i put, large one would give clearer image, is that correct???

Was it not brighter
Reply 28
Yeah i got 230 ohms.
Reply 29
I put alpha as it would not be able to pass through the metal but would be able to pass through the cracks making them easily detectable ;-)
Reply 30
Original post by Aay
All will be revealed!

we'll do good hopefully, we did our best, at least we can say that..

Are you signing up for mysqa, texts?

Yeah, I wasn't going to but then I gave in and signed up :smile:

It's over 3 months until results anyway! :frown:
Reply 31
Original post by nerd434
Does everyone genuinely think it was a lot harder or did we all just get hit with the exam panic and over-think more than we do when sitting Past Papers?

Also, you know for the distance of the Speed/Time graph, did you just find the area of the rectangle and the area of the triangle and add them together?

That's what I thought! I was considering if it was just the panic or what.

And yes for the speed time graph and I got 1080m or something :smile:

Considering we all come from different schools they'll have to lower the pass mark!
Reply 32
what do you all think the percent needed to pass will be put at?

I think for a 2 it will be about 20/50 (40%)
And for a 1 about 60-65% (30-32.5/50)
Was a pretty solid paper in honesty.
Hoping the grade boundaries go down, then I might have a chance of getting a 1 - otherwise I'm guessing it's a scraped 1 or a 2.
Original post by RobertAnthonySmith
Was a pretty solid paper in honesty.
Hoping the grade boundaries go down, then I might have a chance of getting a 1 - otherwise I'm guessing it's a scraped 1 or a 2.

Same here. :frown:
Uurrg! Physis was one I was confident about! Thanks SQA! :angry:
Reply 35
Original post by eilidhb
Did anyone else get 15.5m/s for the falling tile question?

i did, when i asked my friends some of them got 140 odd, so im hoping it was more 15.5
Original post by humza100
i did, when i asked my friends some of them got 140 odd, so im hoping it was more 15.5

My physics teacher went over that question a few hours after the exam.. the answer is indeed 15.5.
B A D topics, see the question about peek voltage did you get 30V
and the one about how it couldn't go over 25v, 20V ?

I know that the 30V answer is correct because I asked my physics teacher afterwards. I managed to get that one wrong. I put 90 as I added the 30 instead of taking it away. :facepalm:

And I didn't ask about the second one, but that's the answer that I got.
I'm not sure about the allocation of marks, I think you get 1/3 for Ep = Ek, 2/3 for the correct working and 3/3 for the correct answer. Not 100% sure though, he went through basically the full paper with a few of us.
Original post by nerd434
For the peak voltage one, you just had to know that it was 10V per square (can't remember the name of it) and then count how many squares from the trough, not from the bottom?

So I think there were 3 squares and I multiplied that by 10 getting a peak voltage of 30V?

That is correct, physics teacher went over it too.

Quick Reply

Latest