The Student Room Group

Male Contraception that is 100% effective and lasts for years

Indian Scientists have developed a method of contraception that's very effective and, unlike vasectomy, it's easily reversible.

RISUG (which is an acronym for “Reversible Inhibition of Sperm Under Guidance”), called Vasalgel™ in the U.S., is similar to vasectomy but with one significant advantage: it is more easily reversible. Researchers achieve this feature by injecting a polymer (a gel) into the vas deferens, rather than cutting the vas (as is done in vasectomy). The polymer then coats the inside walls of the vas deferens and kills sperm as they go by. If a man wishes to restore fertility, whether after months or years, the polymer is flushed out of the vas with another injection. This method could thus be ideal for men who think they are finished having children but would like the chance to change their minds in case of remarriage or the death of a child—and it could possibly even be appropriate for men who want child-spacing or young men who want to complete their schooling before having children.

Source

What do you think? Do you think it'll be popular if it's introduced in places like the UK and the US?

Scroll to see replies

I would highly consider that.
I would. Unless there turns out to be some crazy side effects. Like it falling off O.o
Reply 3
Would prefer a pill, but good. It's all progress.
My dad's girlfriend's brother reversed a vasectomy.
Reply 5
I think I would wait till it's widley in use first to make sure there aren't hidden complications somewhere down the line I would imagine STD levels would shoot up aswell with this.
Excellent progress. :yes:
Definitely a lot less daunting for people who want it than vasectomy.
Very good progress, undoubtedly :biggrin:

However, as someone has already mentioned above, the risk of STIs will still be imminent, and most likely increase, as people would move away from using condoms and move towards this :frown:
Reply 8
Would you still be able to cum? and how much would it cost?
Reply 9
Original post by Snagprophet
My dad's girlfriend's brother reversed a vasectomy.

He doesn't mean they're not reversible, in most cases they are. I think he just means that this one is 100% reversible.

Sounds like a good deal if clinical trials all go well. I wonder how the gel kills the sperm exactly, and whether there are risks of it causing permenant damage if it were to find it's way into other parts of the male reproductive system (or female for that matter).
Reply 10
Yeah, no chance in hell am I going to get an injection into my balls
Nope, still not putting my balls near anything sharp..
awesome, anything to reduce the ridiculous rate we keep multiplying at. I'd happily see it injected into all newborn males like a vaccination, and then only when they decide that they 100% definitely want to father a child would they seek out the second injection.
Original post by zaliack
Yeah, no chance in hell am I going to get an injection into my balls

So surprised no one else thought this first! Was my instant reaction to be honest, I don't like injections in my arms too much, gums are a nightmare...down there would be too much to handle.
I think this should be forced upon all males until such time when they can prove that they are capable of providing for a child.
Reply 15
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
awesome, anything to reduce the ridiculous rate we keep multiplying at. I'd happily see it injected into all newborn males like a vaccination, and then only when they decide that they 100% definitely want to father a child would they seek out the second injection.

What the hell is the point in that? Did you miss sex ed when they talked about puberty?
Original post by zaliack
What the hell is the point in that? Did you miss sex ed when they talked about puberty?

because then every future man would automatically have it. no making accidental babies. Same thing as circumcision - nobody cares if it's done to babies, but how many un-cut grown men would volunteer for it?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
because then every future man would automatically have it. no making accidental babies. Same thing as circumcision - nobody cares if it's done to babies, but how many un-cut grown men would volunteer for it?

because you'd be putting gel into something which doesn't work at all. All sorts of things could go completely wrong and no research body would allow researchers to do this to newborns to determine the side effects.
Original post by zaliack
because you'd be putting gel into something which doesn't work at all. All sorts of things could go completely wrong and no research body would allow researchers to do this to newborns to determine the side effects.

babies get injections of other stuff though right? that stuff had to be experimental at some stage too.
Apparently the procedure is in the "advanced clinical trials" stage in India. Hm. Wonder how the conversation went where the scientists tried to find guys willing to try it.

"We will need to make an injection into the vas deferens."
"Uh, what's that?"
"The scrotal sac."
"You mean, muh balls?"
"Yes."
"You're injecting me... in my balls... so I don't inject others with semen... from my balls."
"Yes."
:lolwut:

This would make a good Xzibit macro.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending