Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

leiden university 2012

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    anyone studying abroad at Leiden this year?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'll be heading there in August
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, I wish you guys all the best for your time there! I'm planning to go next year
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sappho)
    Oh wow, I wish you guys all the best for your time there! I'm planning to go next year
    Are you going on an exchange as a second year student? Then you're probably going to be in my lectures!
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parnassia)
    Are you going on an exchange as a second year student? Then you're probably going to be in my lectures!
    Oh, that's so exciting :hello: Not technically second year, I'd go in my third year, but that's out of four. Are your degrees three years long? And I'd go in 2013/2014.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh, that's so exciting :hello: Not technically second year, I'd go in my third year, but that's out of four. Are your degrees three years long? And I'd go in 2013/2014.
    Yes, the BA is three years and we have 30 ECTS to spend on whatever we want in our third year, but the department is so small that I'll probably see you anyway, haha. 2013 will be an amazing year for the department as the Classics society is going to celebrate its 100th anniversary then. ˆ.ˆ
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the BA is three years and we have 30 ECTS to spend on whatever we want in our third year, but the department is so small that I'll probably see you anyway, haha. 2013 will be an amazing year for the department as the Classics society is going to celebrate its 100th anniversary then. ˆ.ˆ
    Wow, that's really amazing! So, are you in your first year now? What subjects are you taking?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that's really amazing! So, are you in your first year now? What subjects are you taking?
    It is, everyone is very excited already.
    Yes, I'm in my first year too. Our first year consists of compulsory subjects worth 60 ECTS altogether: Greek language acquisition 1 and 2, Latin language acquisition 1 and 2, ancient history, ancient philosophy, Greek prose (Plato), Greek drama tragedy, Latin prose and Latin love poetry, Greek language training, Latin language training and some weird, useless core module the faculty wants all the humanities' students to take. Apart from that, you can take extra subjects from the Classics department, other departments and faculties, of which the ECTS will be added to the ECTS you have acquired during the year.

What subjects are you doing this year?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    It is, everyone is very excited already.
    Yes, I'm in my first year too. Our first year consists of compulsory subjects worth 60 ECTS altogether: Greek language acquisition 1 and 2, Latin language acquisition 1 and 2, ancient history, ancient philosophy, Greek prose (Plato), Greek drama tragedy, Latin prose and Latin love poetry, Greek language training, Latin language training and some weird, useless core module the faculty wants all the humanities' students to take. Apart from that, you can take extra subjects from the Classics department, other departments and faculties, of which the ECTS will be added to the ECTS you have acquired during the year.

What subjects are you doing this year?
    This year I'm doing Greek History to Alexander the Great, Roman History from Republic to Empire, Catullus, Seneca (Apocolocyntosis), Cicero (de Imperio) and Ovid (Heroides)for Latin, and Plato (Ion), Menander (Dyskolos), early Elegy and Demosthenes (speech 54) in Greek.
    So, how many ECTS points do you get for each subject? I think the system must work quite differently from ours since we do three subjects with 20 credits each in each semester (as far as I know).
    So, do you take those core modules only at the start or will I need to take those as well in my third year?

Actually if you PM me, I can send you my e-mail address as well so we don't have to spam this thread
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Leiden is a nice place - i have 2 dutch friends who come from there, i visited Leiden last summer The uni looked nice!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I have been admitted to the International Relations and Diplomacy Master Progam in Leiden University, and I am very excited.

I am looking for scholarships as the fee for international students is REALLY high. Besides that I am also concearned about the housing possibilities. Does anyone have some tips to provide me on those matters?

Thanks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

Admitted into the LLM Public International Law @ Leiden starting Sept. 2012.
    Pretty excited about it to be honest. Congrats to everyone else also who has been admitted.

Is anyone familiar with the housing situation if we don't want to go into uni accom? Im thinking >600 euros is a bit too much for a small room, I'm looking at sharing if possible.

Cheers!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

congratulations with your admissions.

I'm afraid there are practically no shared rooms available as far as I know, unless you find someone yourself to share an apartment with. You can have a look at kamernet.nl, which is the largest Dutch website with room adverts but you have to pay to be able to post replies on rooms and it doesn't guarantee that you will find a room because you have to do some sort of interview in most houses. I have to admit that it's not as bad as it sounds, people just want to know what kind of person is moving in and who will fit in best.

If you don't want to do all that you can have a look on the website slswonen.nl. SLS is a company that owns a few buildings in Leiden. Their rooms are quite cheap and the service is better than with most private house owners. The rooms to search for are in the 'niet-hospiteeraanbod' (hospiteren is what we call the interviews) and I advise you to hurry if you want to have a look at those rooms because our secondary school exams start in a few weeks, they will get the results somewhere in June and it's going to be very busy after that. From July until August (I think) it's impossible to get a room from SLS because during that period all rooms are reserved for first year's undergrads who have to travel for more than 1.5 hours to get to the university.

At last there are brokers who have some rooms available for rent. That's what I did last year and I wouldn't do that again to be honest. The room was terribly expensive, the service sucked, the whole house was filthy and the people living there were a bunch of swines. Of course there will be better rooms/houses available but this would really be my last option.

There are a few other options such as families that take in students or moving to places nearby such as The Hague, Oegstgeest etc. rather than the centre of Leiden (public transport is fairly good between Amsterdam, Leiden, The Hague and Rotterdam with trains passing these 4 places every fifteen minutes) but I think the three options listed above are the easiest ways to find accommodation.
    It can be quite hard to find a room, especially you don't live near or in Leiden. Rooms will become available throughout the year, though and therefore you can always try to find something else if you want to.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 2, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.