The Student Room Group

A* at A level question thread

Scroll to see replies

can anyone comfirm my knowledge? for all alevels:

you need 80% in your whole alevel including 90% in all a2 modules to get an a* overall is this correct?

and if it is.. what is the rules for getting an a* in maths edexcel?
Reply 1141
Original post by Theafricanlegend
can anyone comfirm my knowledge? for all alevels:

you need 80% in your whole alevel including 90% in all a2 modules to get an a* overall is this correct?

and if it is.. what is the rules for getting an a* in maths edexcel?

For all subjects except maths and further maths, you need an 80% average overall including a 90% average at A2. The individual module results do not matter, only the averages.

For maths, you need an 80% average overall including a 90% average between C3 and C4. Again, the individual module results do not matter, just the averages.
Original post by Gemini92
For all subjects except maths and further maths, you need an 80% average overall including a 90% average at A2. The individual module results do not matter, only the averages.

For maths, you need an 80% average overall including a 90% average between C3 and C4. Again, the individual module results do not matter, just the averages.

How about M2? is my mark in that included in the 90% average of c3 and c4?:eek:
Reply 1143
Original post by Theafricanlegend
How about M2? is my mark in that included in the 90% average of c3 and c4?:eek:

No, the 90% average is only in C3 and C4.
Hi, I need some help about how the A* in CIE A level calculated.
I'm taking A2 Business Studies, A2 Maths, Both AS and A2 Physics and an AS Economics.

I'd like to achieve the best result I can get so I'm aiming at A* but I don't know how it's calculated. I'd be grateful if someone give me a clear picture about threshold to get A* in
Maths, Business, Eco and Physics.
My friends tell me in class that every subject 95% overall. Some says 90%, some says depends on threshold/subjects.
Reply 1145
Original post by Anneihtseme
Hi, I need some help about how the A* in CIE A level calculated.
I'm taking A2 Business Studies, A2 Maths, Both AS and A2 Physics and an AS Economics.

I'd like to achieve the best result I can get so I'm aiming at A* but I don't know how it's calculated. I'd be grateful if someone give me a clear picture about threshold to get A* in
Maths, Business, Eco and Physics.
My friends tell me in class that every subject 95% overall. Some says 90%, some says depends on threshold/subjects.

Every subject has a total number of raw marks from all the papers combined. Example : Paper 1 = 60 Paper 2 = 40 Paper 3 = 100. Total 200. To get an A* your total marks would need to reach a certain point which changes every session based on exam difficulty. The total marks for Math is 250 and generally the A* Threshold floats between 225-230 or 220-230. For what it's worth I did CIE business, Econ and Math aswell. Feel free to ask me any questions you might have.

Also, what were your AS Grades and UMS If I may ask? It might help me guide you better as to how much you need to achieve in A2.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hello,

I have had conflicting advice from college teachers, advisors and mark schemes on the painful subject of grade boundaries. I have two questions to ask on where the lines are drawn.

Firstly, regarding A* grades at A-Level, I know that "over 90% of marks" are required in the A2 modules. But I am confused in what combination they are necessary. I got an 89/100 UMS on my last Philosophy exam - would a 95/100 on the next one cancel this out and bag me the A* or are 90% marks needed in BOTH modules? This doesn't seem to make sense if true - logically, a total of 184/200 would then NOT be an A* if spread over the two modules, but 180/200 WOULD if it were made up of two '90' marks.

Sticking with A*s, the stipulation for "90% of marks at A2, at least 80% of UMS overall" is slightly confusing. I received 76 and 77 in my AS law exams but have improved substantially on past papers - if I received 95, for example, on each of the next two modules, would that be considered an A or an A*?

Apologies for the shocking naivety of this querey but other, official channels have left me with nothing but confusion and disarray. Any help that can be provided is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Original post by GoodFella2024
Hello,

I have had conflicting advice from college teachers, advisors and mark schemes on the painful subject of grade boundaries. I have two questions to ask on where the lines are drawn.

Firstly, regarding A* grades at A-Level, I know that "over 90% of marks" are required in the A2 modules. But I am confused in what combination they are necessary. I got an 89/100 UMS on my last Philosophy exam - would a 95/100 on the next one cancel this out and bag me the A* or are 90% marks needed in BOTH modules? This doesn't seem to make sense if true - logically, a total of 184/200 would then NOT be an A* if spread over the two modules, but 180/200 WOULD if it were made up of two '90' marks.

It's an average of at least 90% in the A2 parts, so you can get less than 90% in one exam as long as the average is brought back to at least 90% by other exams. 89/100 and 95/100 would be fine for an A* since the average is 92%.

Sticking with A*s, the stipulation for "90% of marks at A2, at least 80% of UMS overall" is slightly confusing. I received 76 and 77 in my AS law exams but have improved substantially on past papers - if I received 95, for example, on each of the next two modules, would that be considered an A or an A*?

It would be an A*. What you get in the AS parts doesn't matter as long as the average from your AS and A2 parts combined is at least 80%, so 60% at AS and 100% at A2 would still be an A*.
Original post by Potally_Tissed
It's an average of at least 90% in the A2 parts, so you can get less than 90% in one exam as long as the average is brought back to at least 90% by other exams. 89/100 and 95/100 would be fine for an A* since the average is 92%.

It would be an A*. What you get in the AS parts doesn't matter as long as the average from your AS and A2 parts combined is at least 80%, so 60% at AS and 100% at A2 would still be an A*.

To add to this; anything above 70% at AS poses absolutely NO benefit to getting an A* at A-level; with the rare exception being Maths (as one of your A2 modules isn't counted for the A* calculation).
Original post by hassi94
To add to this; anything above 70% at AS poses absolutely NO benefit to getting an A* at A-level; with the rare exception being Maths (as one of your A2 modules isn't counted for the A* calculation).

Both of you are gods among lowly men. You have saved me from despair and a downward spiral into madness. Thank you! I am working my hind off to get the A*s in every possible subject, and desperately needed to know if it was still possible. I salute you both.

THANK YOU!!!!
Original post by hassi94

It also means that with an AS mark between 60% and 70%, for the A2 it's possible to get an A* but not an A :holmes:
It also means that with an AS mark between 60% and 70%, for the A2 it's possible to get an A* but not an A :holmes:

A similar thing has happened to me with further maths :tongue:

(spoilered because you may not be interested in how :tongue:)

Spoiler

Original post by hassi94
A similar thing has happened to me with further maths :tongue:

(spoilered because you may not be interested in how :tongue:)

Spoiler

Seems weird that you can get an A* or a B but not an A :tongue: Maybe they didn't think of that when they created A*s.

I didn't have this trouble, back in my day you couldn't get higher than an A :moon:
Reply 1153

You need to achieve an A overall (i.e. at least 320/400 or 480/600) to be eligible for an A*.
Original post by Data
You need to achieve an A overall (i.e. at least 320/400 or 480/600) to be eligible for an A*.

Yes I know, my point is that if you got say 60% at AS and 100% at A2, it would still come to an average of 80% which is an A overall, but then having over 90% in the A2 parts makes it an A*.
Yes I know, my point is that if you got say 60% at AS and 100% at A2, it would still come to an average of 80% which is an A overall, but then having over 90% in the A2 parts makes it an A*.

Yes, I think you mean the situation where someone is either going to get a B or an A*, and unlikely to get an A?

That is actually quite common. A lot of people (foolishly) flunk the first year, but then start putting in a lot of work. And going from a B or even a C at AS to an A* in A2 is much more common than one may think.

Having said that, I think the A* is a good system. Getting 90% average on the "harder" units (they often are harder) is not at all easy, and it requires people to continuing working hard throughout the course to get an A*.
Original post by Llewellyn
Yes, I think you mean the situation where someone is either going to get a B or an A*, and unlikely to get an A?

That is actually quite common. A lot of people (foolishly) flunk the first year, but then start putting in a lot of work. And going from a B or even a C at AS to an A* in A2 is much more common than one may think.

Having said that, I think the A* is a good system. Getting 90% average on the "harder" units (they often are harder) is not at all easy, and it requires people to continuing working hard throughout the course to get an A*.

Exactly, though rather than being unlikely to get an A, if you have 60-70% at AS then it's mathematically impossible as the 90-100% at A2 that would give you 80% for an A overall would also meet the other criteria for getting an A* so you'd have that instead.
Does anybody know how to get an A* in p.e? (AQA)
Reply 1158
Original post by kangeroo
Does anybody know how to get an A* in p.e? (AQA)

320/400 UMS overall with at least 180/200 in the A2 units.
This may have been asked before but how do you get an A* in WJEC chemistry?
I know you need 80% UMS for AS but I've heard 2 things for A2
Do you need 90% average in A2 modules (e.g. 89%, 90% and 91%)
or is it at least 90% in each individual module?

Quick Reply

Latest