The Student Room Group

Gareth Williams - murdered?

Scroll to see replies

I'm finding this whole affair fascinating. MI6 have surely cleaned up countless murders, most of us just dont think about it and prefer to live in ignorance. I cant help but feel that if this was their doing, then the death would be a lot less suspicious. They would have bumped him off in a traffic accident or however they do these things, and kept it under the radar...
Reply 21
Original post by Fires
Well, they deny this, but even if true, it pertains only to people outside the UK:

Section 7 is entitled Authorisation of Acts outside the British Islands, and says: "If, apart from this section, a person would be liable in the United Kingdom for any act done outside the British Islands, he shall not be so liable if the act is one which is authorised to be done by virtue of an authorisation given by the secretary of state under this section.""

MI6 has repeatedly denied that they have ever actually used assassination - the source you quote is, as I suspected, journalistic speculation, albeit the act confirms the theoretical possibility of sanctioned foreign killing.

Killing of UK citizens on UK soil by our security services in anything other than a combat situation (eg, something like a police officer shooting someone where their or other lives where in immediate danger) would be murder, pure and simple.

Dude, do you REALLY think that if MI6 had orchestrated extra-judicial killings, that they would say so?

These organisations (e.g. CIA) exist for, partially, that purpose.

Yes it WOULD be, legally, murder. But they would have to find them first, and that ain't happening.
Reply 22
Original post by Dubs_ski
I'm finding this whole affair fascinating. MI6 have surely cleaned up countless murders, most of us just dont think about it and prefer to live in ignorance. I cant help but feel that if this was their doing, then the death would be a lot less suspicious. They would have bumped him off in a traffic accident or however they do these things, and kept it under the radar...

I agree with both. For some reason I just have the feeling this has something to do with the Russians....they carry out their assasinations with a certain strange flair (e.g. Alexander Litvinenko)
Original post by dgeorge
I agree with both. For some reason I just have the feeling this has something to do with the Russians....they carry out their assasinations with a certain strange flair (e.g. Alexander Litvinenko)

And it will never come out if it was the Russian government as that may well be considered an act of war, something noone wants...
Some of what you guys are saying is ridiculous.
Reply 25
From what I've read, I would guess murder. Though by who I clearly cannot say.
Maybe he was a threat to national security...maybe not.
Reply 26
Original post by concubine
Some of what you guys are saying is ridiculous.

Such as?
Reply 27
Original post by Dubs_ski
And it will never come out if it was the Russian government as that may well be considered an act of war, something noone wants...

Or China...
Reply 28
Original post by Fires
I think (at least I hope) that you are fantasising - they would arrest someone like that and press charges. If the evidence wasn't good enough for court, they would sack and marginalise them. If MI6 genuinely have the authority to murder their own staff at will then I despair of this country - what would be the difference between the UK and Nazi Germany? Do you think it right that authorities can simply order extra-judicial killings?

As I say, let's just hope you're both wrong and idiotic.

You're obviously either uneducated about this topic or just naive. Her Majesties Intelligence services can do, pretty much, whatever they want. They can terminate their own staff if they smell a rat or a potential inside threat. Personally, this doesn't bother me. Anyone who signs up for a job with that much responsibility knows the threat and consequences of "Turning".

Personally I don't think this is what happened. This sounds more like a foreign kill, with the reason it taking them so long to figure out he was dead could be he was on some sort of operation where contact had to be little and far between to avoid suspicion.

TL;DR: MI6 can do whatever the **** they want to do, including terminating their own staff, its their job. Welcome to the world of international espionage.
Original post by oldham_fran
If MI6 was involved in the death of this poor bloke, then my faith in our secret service has increased! No finger or footprints, no signs of third party involvment, no signs of a break in in the flat. Nothing that would suggest 'murder' other than the fact that it's impossible to lock yourself in a bag in a bath.
So whoever did it did a bloody good job cleaning up after themselves!

*finger marks

*footwear marks

It's pretty easy not to leave those behind.
Original post by dgeorge

To be fair, it was a very imaginative approach to carrying out a murder. Whoever did it thought "pppfffffff, I'm not just gonna think outside the box, I'm gonna think inside the bag...."
Original post by Sisu
You're forgetting what MI6 is, a Secret Intelligence agency hence anything they say must be taken with suspicion. MI6 most likely are investigating this and dealing with it with their own resources. I think it's pretty pointless forming a opinion on a matter when we're dealing with intelligence agencies because you aren't going to get the full picture.

We are not the only country to operate a Secret Service
Original post by Fires
Well, they deny this, but even if true, it pertains only to people outside the UK:

Section 7 is entitled Authorisation of Acts outside the British Islands, and says: "If, apart from this section, a person would be liable in the United Kingdom for any act done outside the British Islands, he shall not be so liable if the act is one which is authorised to be done by virtue of an authorisation given by the secretary of state under this section.""

MI6 has repeatedly denied that they have ever actually used assassination - the source you quote is, as I suspected, journalistic speculation, albeit the act confirms the theoretical possibility of sanctioned foreign killing.

Killing of UK citizens on UK soil by our security services in anything other than a combat situation (eg, something like a police officer shooting someone where their or other lives where in immediate danger) would be murder, pure and simple.

Whether it was an MI6 agent (unlikely) or someone from another section of a government agency who killed the guy (more likely) the usual murder laws simply would not be applied to them if their actions were sanctioned by the state, right or wrong that is the way these organizations have to operate and it is highly unlikely anyone outside the SIS possibly excluding the authorizing secretary of state (if this was state sanctioned) and possibly a select few members of his/her staff are even aware of the actual details behind this case never mind if anyone knows who actually killed him.

They are a necessary evil which for all intents and purposes are able to operate outside the law to protect the British public and British interests around the world.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Am I the only one who doesn't think he was killed by someone else?

I think, if the evidence we have is to be taken as reliable, that he did it himself by accident. Apparently he tied himself, naked, to his bed and his landlord had to set him free, plus he has bondage stuff on his internet history - how can you just overlook that? I think it was some form of kinky game gone wrong.

There's a massive difference between tying yourself to a bed and locking yourself in a bag. If your tied to a bed, there's every chance (as proved by the example) that you can shout for someone to free you. If you lock yourself in a bag for a kinky game then you've got very little time to attempt release yourself before you suffocate. And the guy didn't have a knife on him or anything so it would have been almost impossible to get out of that (I'm no expert, I haven't got a clue if there's even a chance of getting out of that).
And being a spy, he would have understood that he was putting himself at enormous risk by engaging in something that extreme.

It just seems like too much of a stupid thing to do to yourself, regardless of the interest in bondage. Don't suppose we're ever gonna know what happened to him though...
Reply 34
Original post by Darth Stewie
Whether it was an MI6 agent (unlikely) or someone from another section of a government agency who killed the guy (more likely) the usual murder laws simply would not be applied to them if their actions were sanctioned by the state, right or wrong that is the way these organizations have to operate and it is highly unlikely anyone outside the SIS possibly excluding the authorizing secretary of state (if this was state sanctioned) and possibly a select few members of his/her staff are even aware of the actual details behind this case never mind if anyone knows who actually killed him.

They are a necessary evil which for all intents and purposes are able to operate outside the law to protect the British public and British interests around the world.

You are simply mistaken if you think this could be officially sanctioned under the Act - it relates to overseas actions. For sure there might be unofficial and covert lower-level activity going on of an unsanctioned nature, but that would be plain murder.
Original post by Fires

This story reeks of a long-established truth about our "security services" - that they are just not very good, that they cost a great deal of (unaccountable) money and that their main skill lies in the area of covering up their own mistakes.

Long established truth my ass.

The British security services brought the IRA to heel by completely paralysing that organisation through infiltrators, there are thousands of modern day terrorists out there that want to carry out a seemingly very simple task of getting high level explosives into a public place and setting them off, and touchwood until now they have been foiled every time, somebody is watching our back and thats worth every penny of taxpayers money.

I'd spend more money on the security services than I would on fighting wars abroad with the military.
from the day i heard of his death almost 2 years ao, i knew immediately it was foul play. The position he held was to do with communications if i'm not wrong. He was effectively i nthe centre of everything and knew everything. Whats to stop MI6 from killing him if they felt he was going to leave on bad terms and couldn't be trusted. The way they spoke of neighbours not knowing he was alive, and the period of time he didn't come into work for, its quite clear really.
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Am I the only one who doesn't think he was killed by someone else?

You must be.

Why are you ignoring the evidence of the expert witness who attempted 300 times to lock himself into an identical bag and failed? And the evidence that the bath had no marks on it whatever? It simply beggars belief (putting aside the likelihood that it was an impossible feat anyway) that someone struggled for ages to get into a bag in the bath and didn't leave DNA, a finger print, a scratch or a scuff mark. Or that someone indulging in such risky activities, known to be skilled at evaluating risk, would not take a knife into the bag with him.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 38
haha just spent like 2 hours reading the theories on this site, pretty interesting stuff!
https://wikispooks.com/wiki/Gareth_Williams
People who are saying we'll never know the truth are so right though; the fascinating (albeit scary) world of espionage.
Reply 39
It's tragic what happened to Williams but on a personal note, it's so fascinating and thrilling, and I will always keep my eyes open for headlines that will pop up over time. My speculation was that it was a murder/assassination, and a bloody good one at that. Utterly Moriarty.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending