Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Possible to sit an As/A2 level exam without attending that college?

Announcements Posted on
Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am going to study a BTEC course in graphic design however,
    My course only needs you to be present in the college 11 hours a week, so with extra time on my hands i was wondering if it is possible to home study for a subject and pay to sit an exam in a centre, the college i am going to does not do any A levels at all only BTEC's, I am very passionate about History and my Art and I work much better when learning on my own from books and research rather than lessons, I was wondering if this is possible as I sat a GCSE exam in a different school as I moved for year 11 and wished to continue my GCSE in ICT which was not an option at my new school.
    Any feedback will be appreciated
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tillyl21)
    I am going to study a BTEC course in graphic design however,
    My course only needs you to be present in the college 11 hours a week, so with extra time on my hands i was wondering if it is possible to home study for a subject and pay to sit an exam in a centre, the college i am going to does not do any A levels at all only BTEC's, I am very passionate about History and my Art and I work much better when learning on my own from books and research rather than lessons, I was wondering if this is possible as I sat a GCSE exam in a different school as I moved for year 11 and wished to continue my GCSE in ICT which was not an option at my new school.
    Any feedback will be appreciated
    It's definitely possible, people do it all the time. Figure out the subject and exam board you want to study, get the relevant text books, etc, and find an examination centre to sit the exams in at the correct time. You'll have to pay but it's for something worthy so why not?

Good luck, hope I could help, if not, pay no attention to my rambling, it's late. :')

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 3, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.