The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

And I know that it could have been a lot worse than bleeding, broken braces and pain, it just scared me to think what could have happened
Reply 21
Original post by KnapAttackUK
Basically, yesterday when I was walking home from school with 2 friends, someone stopped us and demanded a password. We ignored him and kept walking. Next thing I know, I've been spun around and punched in the face enough to draw a lot of blood. Neither of my friends helped, and there was two off them, so I ran off :/

Now I can't stop freaking out about "what ifs", like if they knocked me down or if I'd hit them back. The worst thing is I walk past that road every day, and they'll recognise me.

What do I do, or what should I have done?

The same kind of thing happend to me last week =/ I was walking from a bus stop I always walk from. As I was walking down the road two 20-30 year olds on bikes asked me, "do you want some pizza?".

As I looked behind me they had no pizza, so I knew they just wanted trouble. Then after this, one of them pushed me and I tripped over. As I got up one of them went to hit me, completley missed and instinctively I punched him. Then the other guy hit me , in the ribs, so then I knee'd him in the face. They both got back on their bikes and scurried away.

It was quite invigorating but at the same time I was dissapointed with myself. I just thought why should have I had to defend myself.

Personally I'm quite noncombatant but you should always be prepared. If it happens to you again, I think you should ask a patrol officer maybe to watch the area.
Original post by KnapAttackUK
Basically, yesterday when I was walking home from school with 2 friends, someone stopped us and demanded a password. We ignored him and kept walking. Next thing I know, I've been spun around and punched in the face enough to draw a lot of blood. Neither of my friends helped, and there was two off them, so I ran off :/

Now I can't stop freaking out about "what ifs", like if they knocked me down or if I'd hit them back. The worst thing is I walk past that road every day, and they'll recognise me.

What do I do, or what should I have done?

Password? Sounds like a little kid? And he just punched you man up lol..

Anyways, you should never be friends with someone who you can't rely on and trust in urgent situations (e.g. this one). Choose your friends wisely; your's seem like cowards (no offence).

I suggest you start boxing.. Once you learn the technique, you will be much more confident, trust me
EDIT: And don't bother reporting it to the police, they won't do ANYTHING useful
Reply 24
Original post by xXxiKillxXx
EDIT: And don't bother reporting it to the police, they won't do ANYTHING useful

While it's true that the police won't do a damn thing, you should still report it. If people don't report crimes when they happen then what's the point in even having laws?
Original post by Klayton
While it's true that the police won't do a damn thing, you should still report it. If people don't report crimes when they happen then what's the point in even having laws?

Well it depends on the severity of the crime. If the OP was stabbed, then okay, he could report it and the police would do something.. But being beaten up will just get the perpetrators a police interview.. (if that).
Reply 26
Well it depends on the severity of the crime. If the OP was stabbed, then okay, he could report it and the police would do something.. But being beaten up will just get the perpetrators a police interview.. (if that).

K I don't know about Britain, but in Australia (our law is based on British common law), getting beaten up constitutes 'assault causing actual bodily harm' (battery) which carries a maximum sentence of 5 years jail, and what Billton experienced would likely have been grievous bodily harm, which carries a maximum sentence of 25 years jail. How can people only get a mere police interview in Britain?

Edit: http://www.inbrief.co.uk/offences/assualt-gbh-abh.htm Actually it is quite similar in Britain, its just that first-time offenders usually get a fine for actual bodily harm. For grievous bodily harm though, you go straight to jail; no chance of a fine.
(edited 11 years ago)
Take up something like Krav Maga. Obviously in a confrontation the best martial art is 100 meter sprint-fu but taking something such as Krav will boost your confidence and you'll learn how to not make yourself a target. Also, give your mates a slap, they should have backed you up.
All of those people suggesting he takes some form of self defence (whilst its a good idea, not knocking it) You also need to consider that it will take a while for him to become proficient enough to defend himself on the street. And even an experience martial artist would have trouble dealing with more than 2 or 3 people against them.

just a thought
a password for what? :s
Reply 30
happened to me once when i was walking home late one evening through Victoria, tended to carry a maglight in my bag since..
Original post by Aeonstorm
K I don't know about Britain, but in Australia (our law is based on British common law), getting beaten up constitutes 'assault causing actual bodily harm' (battery) which carries a maximum sentence of 5 years jail, and what Billton experienced would likely have been grievous bodily harm, which carries a maximum sentence of 25 years jail. How can people only get a mere police interview in Britain?

Edit: http://www.inbrief.co.uk/offences/assualt-gbh-abh.htm Actually it is quite similar in Britain, its just that first-time offenders usually get a fine for actual bodily harm. For grievous bodily harm though, you go straight to jail; no chance of a fine.

The thing is, in the UK, people who commit crime are let off easily. Getting beaten up will RARELY get the perpetrator a lengthy jail sentence. Seriously injuring someone by stabbing them will get you 5 years in the UK.

The OP was punched once or twice, unless he sustained serious injuries or the perpetrators have a history of violence, the perpetrators won't even get a fine..

EDIT: look at this, quite recent:

http://www.kilburntimes.co.uk/news/teenage_muggers_who_killed_neasden_chef_in_fulham_locked_up_for_six_years_each_1_1357404?action=login&forgotpassword

They killed and robbed someone and got 6 years.
(edited 11 years ago)
I wasnt mocking I was saying it sounds bad like you dont want to mess with these people?

why is everyone so sceptical these days
Reply 33
The thing is, in the UK, people who commit crime are let off easily. Getting beaten up will RARELY get the perpetrator a lengthy jail sentence. Seriously injuring someone by stabbing them will get you 5 years in the UK.

The OP was punched once or twice, unless he sustained serious injuries or the perpetrators have a history of violence, the perpetrators won't even get a fine..

EDIT: look at this, quite recent:

http://www.kilburntimes.co.uk/news/teenage_muggers_who_killed_neasden_chef_in_fulham_locked_up_for_six_years_each_1_1357404?action=login&forgotpassword

They killed and robbed someone and got 6 years.

That is pretty ridiculous... only 6 years
Reply 34
lol I've seen lots of threads like this on tsr, people who are like "some stranger walked into me while i was on my way to school, i havent been the same since, im scared to leave my house, i have nightmares"

when did everybody become such a woman ?!
Reply 35
wow, you people are really empathetic...
Reply 36
imagine sitting around the table with some vikings and you're like "I got beat up 5 years ago, I still cry myself to sleep" they'd laugh their asses off lol
Reply 37
Original post by Sheep
imagine sitting around the table with some vikings and you're like "I got beat up 5 years ago, I still cry myself to sleep" they'd laugh their asses off lol

Find some Vikings and we'll test your hypothesis.
Reply 38
Original post by Dragonfly07
Happens to everyone, and most people wouldn't attempt to fight back when it's their first time or if they're grossly outnumbered.

outnumbered or not, never go down without a fight
Reply 39
You have pussy friends

Latest

Trending

Trending