Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Poll: Do you trust George Osborne?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
  • View Poll Results: Do you trust the Chancellor?
    Very much so
    17.86%
    At times
    20.24%
    Unsure
    7.14%
    Less likely to trust him
    9.52%
    Get rid of him!
    45.24%

• 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some Conservative supporters I know are beginning to feel irritated by him.

Discuss.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    More than the "Iron Lady" but that doesn't really say much.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    We can't have complete mistrust in goverment. If it were like that I think there would be some type of upheaval in the form of another election or riots
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    He hasn't sold gold at "Brown Bottom" just yet..
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The only mistakes I think he's made have been to backtrack and water down unpopular policies that were right in the first place, like child benefit cuts for higher rate tax payers.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    who couldn't trust this face with all our money

• 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know him and his family, mostly through business dealings. He isn't a bad guy but I think he is the "Gordon Brown" of the Tony Blair era............ except there is not much gold left to squander off at rock bottom prices and there aren't any taxes left that he could impose without there being a rebellion

As for do I trust him? In his personal capacity yes, as a politician... no British politician is ever trustworthy... as a Chancellor of the Exchequer, this one is a bit tricky.... in reality it isn't going to be an easy task to be any minister in Britain at times like these as difficult decisions will need to be made and I just don't see him as capable of making such decisions largely due to the fact that in reality he has zero real world experience of any kind outside of politics and in reality I think there are plenty more who are better suited for this position but by virtue of political hierarchy he holds such a position.

As for his policies and his own party, yup it isn't surprising as many were hoping the vast amounts of new taxes introduced since 1997 would be abolished or reduced while keeping vast majority of front line services running.... except they too keep forgetting that there is an ever ballooning deficit and a huge monster of a debt piling up.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hasn't done anything bad or terrible yet.

So I voted 'At times'.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    He's alright.

Isn't cutting taxes for the middle and higher earners as fast as I'd like, though.
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just think of Ed Balls being Chancellor....
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do I trust a posh oxbridge public school boy who's never had a propper job and was born with a silver spoon in his mouth? Do I trust a man who has seen us slip back into recession? No.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    God sake Bornblue.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, he hasn't done anythig to fill me with confidence.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How can anyone trust him? He's taken Britain backwards and rather than helping those who need help, he gives tax breaks to the rich.

It's ridiculous the country is run by posh twattish public school boys who've never had a propper job.
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    How can anyone trust him? He's taken Britain backwards and rather than helping those who need help, he gives tax breaks to the rich.

It's ridiculous the country is run by posh twattish public school boys who've never had a propper job.
    You're a pleasant chap aren't you?!
    I sometimes get the feeling you don't like Cameron and Osborne....
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Do I trust a posh oxbridge public school boy who's never had a propper job and was born with a silver spoon in his mouth? Do I trust a man who has seen us slip back into recession? No.
    I don't understand how someone being very well educated is a reason NOT to want them to do an important job - would you rather we had someone like Alan Johnson (Labour), a former postman?
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    At times. Sometimes I think he is doing absolutely idiotic things.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, he's better than Balls, that much is clear.

That said, the economy has not been performing overly well. I believe this is largely out of his control, but it is hardly confidence inspiring.

The biggest problem I have is the budget was apalling, not so much in its aims but delivery and reception. Some of the small print matters have been allowed to be blown completely out of proportion for what represents small beans, he should have known some people would be completely all over matters such as the pasty tax, and that it would be easier to leave them alone.

I agree with his aims, but his performance has been lacklustre thus far.
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rich2606)
    The only mistakes I think he's made have been to backtrack and water down unpopular policies that were right in the first place, like child benefit cuts for higher rate tax payers.
    What's wrong with that?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iron Lady)
    What's wrong with that?
    Nothing, that's his point.

I think he should go tbh, I'd much rather have a chancellor who's a little less nose-in-the-air and a bit more in touch with normal earners.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 4, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.