Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gym asking to pay up for broken equipment!!

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Me and my friend were working out in the gym, we decided to use the rubber dumbbells (15KG)..

We as fools dropped it when we finished..
    It was not broken at all etc

we got home and got a threatening phone call (Next day) from the gym asking us to come in and pay for it..

They go they have it all on camera and they said the 17.5KG dumbbell is broken.. we were using the 15KG...

it is a private gym and they said if we don't come, then they're coming down my house

HELP ME!!

P.S HOW'S IT POSSIBLE TO BREAK RUBBER DUMBBELLS? and also the gym is owned by druggies :/
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jameslad)
    Me and my friend were working out in the gym, we decided to use the rubber dumbbells (15KG)..

We as fools dropped it when we finished..
    It was not broken at all etc

we got home and got a threatening phone call (Next day) from the gym asking us to come in and pay for it..

They go they have it all on camera and they said the 17.5KG dumbbell is broken.. we were using the 15KG...

it is a private gym and they said if we don't come, then they're coming down my house

HELP ME!!
    Ignore them.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    This sounds like a troll, particularly the penultimate line

:jester:

but if it isn't a troll - just reason with them, tell them it isn't broken. if they won't listen, just join a different gym. gyms don't mind if you drop weights (either after a heavy set or by accident), unless you were deliberately throwing them just to damage something/someone.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    This sounds like a troll, particularly the penultimate line

:jester:

but if it isn't a troll - just reason with them, tell them it isn't broken. if they won't listen, just join a different gym. gyms don't mind if you drop weights (either after a heavy set or by accident), unless you were deliberately throwing them just to damage something/someone.
    Honest no troll, the people that own the gym are druggies!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    don't call them! just go straight to the gym without notifying them and when you get there demand to see the broken dumbell. if they bs'ing then you can cathc them out there and then. if they bring out the broken dumbell demand hard evidence that it was you. if they pull out a knife make sure you brought along some heroin or crack.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wateva)
    don't call them! just go straight to the gym without notifying them and when you get there demand to see the broken dumbell. if they bs'ing then you can cathc them out there and then. if they bring out the broken dumbell demand hard evidence that it was you. if they pull out a knife make sure you brought along some heroin or crack.
    Taking my big cousin with me
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't call troll on this. It is hardly surprising to hear of establishments such as private gyms being run by dodgy characters.

How much do they want? If it were me, I'd pay up and leave the gym. If of-course it was a reputable, chain gym, then the last thing I'd ever do is pay up for something I haven't broken. However you have to weigh up (excuse the pun :teehee:) the options. You either unjustly have to fork out 20 quid, or you have a bunch of druggies who know where you live threatening to do you over...

Perhaps a lesson for next time. Don't go to dodgy gyms. Join your uni / college one.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Stig)
    I wouldn't call troll on this. It is hardly surprising to hear of establishments such as private gyms being run by dodgy characters.

How much do they want? If it were me, I'd pay up and leave the gym. If of-course it was a reputable, chain gym, then the last thing I'd ever do is pay up for something I haven't broken. However you have to weigh up (excuse the pun :teehee:) the options. You either unjustly have to fork out 20 quid, or you have a bunch of druggies who know where you live threatening to do you over...

Perhaps a lesson for next time. Don't go to dodgy gyms. Join your uni / college one.
    130 from me AND my friend :/
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Either fork up, or go to police and then move house so they'll never find you.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    130 from me AND my friend :/
    LOL WHAT?! 260 for one 15kg rubber dumbbell!

http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/...mpaign=Froogle

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/...paign=products

http://www.deepbluefightwear.com/15k...bell-pair.html

If you have broken it, tell them you'll replace yourself.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:

Might need some cleaning up
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    tell them to let u see the tapes then wtf if u say u didnt use the 17.5 then u didnt...
    they have no proof dont pay anything take them to court if u have to lmao

only if you know you're 100% in the right
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tell them that you were not involved in the matter, and for them to over look the video tape, and if they continue to harass you without evidence threaten to get the Police involved. Do not go back to the gym, if you have a direct debit then cancel it asap.
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wow, this has made me re-think joining this gym I just came back from =/
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    lol, this is such a crock of BS.

Obvious tactic of druggies. Get cash from wherever and however they see fit.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Fair use principle, they were providing a service and by no fault of your own the equipment broke.

You are not at fault unless you used it in an unusual/dangerous/destructive manner.

Dropping a rubber dumbbell would not fall under this category. So from a legal pov, they have nothing on you. Just ignore them.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure they can't ring and threaten you. Ring the police and report them, the police will go down there if necessary and see if these weights are "broken" and if they are- I suggest you find out the brand and replace them yourselves, and get someone else to take them to the gym.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BHS12)
    I'm pretty sure they can't ring and threaten you. Ring the police and report them, the police will go down there if necessary and see if these weights are "broken" and if they are- I suggest you find out the brand and replace them yourselves, and get someone else to take them to the gym.
    Even if they are broken, they're clearly inappropiate for fair usage. It's a faulty good.

Are you asked to replace a coach that breaks down whilst you're a passenger?

Of course not. There is absolutely no grounds for the OP to replace faulty equipment by a service provider if it has been used in a reasonable manner.

OP: demand all contact is in writing.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marco Ben)
    tell them to let u see the tapes then wtf if u say u didnt use the 17.5 then u didnt...
    they have no proof dont pay anything take them to court if u have to lmao

only if you know you're 100% in the right
    Take them to court? They'd have to take her to court.

Which they won't.

Ignore them / phone police if they come round or even if they threaten to again.

(Original post by BHS12)
    The police won't investigate the weights being broken or not; that's a civil matter. Even if you did break the weights they can't threaten you with implied violence, which is why you should call the police.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would hide and hope they dont fidn you.

Also dont pay

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 6, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.