Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

French at Oxford or Law with French Law at UCL

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Very simply, this is the dilemma which I face: I have to decide between French at Oxford, and Law with French Law at UCL.

As far as problems go, I suppose that this is a pretty good one to have, but any advice would be much appreciated,

NothingCrushesUs

(note. I have posted this thread elsewhere but was told by a moderator that I would probably have more success making a post here as well)
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, what do you want to do?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    What exactly do you want us to tell you? Do you want to study law? Then go to UCL. Do you don't care about law? Think about Oxford. Oxford is slightly more reputable overall than UCL, but UCL is quite prestigious as well.

Do you want to live in Oxford or London?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NothingCrushesUs)
    Hi everyone,

Very simply, this is the dilemma which I face: I have to decide between French at Oxford, and Law with French Law at UCL.

As far as problems go, I suppose that this is a pretty good one to have, but any advice would be much appreciated,

NothingCrushesUs

(note. I have posted this thread elsewhere but was told by a moderator that I would probably have more success making a post here as well)
    1. Do you want to study Law or French (if they were both at the same university)?
    2. Do you want to live in London or Oxford?
    3. If you want to study law, would you be just as happy doing french at Oxford then a law conversion?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you call Oxford and see if you can transfer onto their Law with French Law course?

You have good options. The decision is totally up to you
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably suggest emailing Oxford as well to see if they'd consider discussing a move on to the Law with French Law course... It's not totally unheard of to change courses slightly before/just after starting/(after you mess up first year but shhhh), but it's not commonplace either.

Out of interest why did you not apply for the Law and French Law course at Oxford?

As people have been pointed out, you will not be preventing yourself from having a career in the legal profession by reading French at Oxford - plenty of people move onto conversion courses. You will also be able to dedicate 4 years to the language and literature of France.

I suppose you have to think whether you'd enjoy 4 years of reading straight French, or do you want the law as well now rather than later?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poppyxx)
    I'd probably suggest emailing Oxford as well to see if they'd consider discussing a move on to the Law with French Law course... It's not totally unheard of to change courses slightly before/just after starting/(after you mess up first year but shhhh), but it's not commonplace either.

Out of interest why did you not apply for the Law and French Law course at Oxford?

As people have been pointed out, you will not be preventing yourself from having a career in the legal profession by reading French at Oxford - plenty of people move onto conversion courses. You will also be able to dedicate 4 years to the language and literature of France.

I suppose you have to think whether you'd enjoy 4 years of reading straight French, or do you want the law as well now rather than later?
    Hi,

To answer your question as to why I didn't apply for Law with French Law at Oxford, quite simply, at the time, I didn't know what to do, just like I don't know now!

I suppose that your last point is my key problem - I'd probably love both! Being totally hypothetical, if I had offers from Oxford for both French, and Law and French Law, I still wouldn't know which to choose!
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NothingCrushesUs)
    Hi,

To answer your question as to why I didn't apply for Law with French Law at Oxford, quite simply, at the time, I didn't know what to do, just like I don't know now!

I suppose that your last point is my key problem - I'd probably love both! Being totally hypothetical, if I had offers from Oxford for both French, and Law and French Law, I still wouldn't know which to choose!
    I don't know what else people can say. Do you want to be a lawyer?

Don't want to put pressure on but you only have 5 days to decide now.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 4, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.