The Student Room Group

Are my brother's GCSEs really that bad?

A in English Language - Obtained
A in English Literature
B in Food Technology - Mid-C in exam and high-B coursework
C in Maths - Foundation - Obtained
C in French
C in History

C in Spanish - taking in A2 year (to get 8 GCSEs)
B in Maths - Higher - taking in AS year (")
B in Science (Core) - " (")

AABBBCCC

Are they bad grades?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
they're better than my brothers x100 :smile: so they are good, not the best but good :smile:
Original post by JDWhite1995
A in English Language - Obtained
A in English Literature
B in Food Technology - Mid-C in exam and high-B coursework
C in Maths - Foundation - Obtained
C in French
C in History

C in Spanish - taking in A2 year (to get 8 GCSEs)
B in Maths - Higher - taking in AS year (")
B in Science (Core) - " (")

AABBBCCC

Are they bad grades?

They are not bad but not good - just standard really. There are basically the grades I got: A*AABBBCC

Erm... why was I negged for this? At least explain what I did wrong/why you disagree!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Pretty average tbh

BUT make sure he does well in his a levels so he can get a good uni of his choice.
good but not great
They're your grades really, aren't they?
Reply 6
Original post by hamburgerandbeans
They are not bad but not good - just standard really. There are basically the grades I got: A*AABBBCC

What a levels did you get?

What was A* in?

Original post by Axion
Pretty average tbh

BUT make sure he does well in his a levels so he can get a good uni of his choice.

Original post by JordanS94
they're better than my brothers x100 :smile: so they are good, not the best but good :smile:

He wants to to study English at UEA, Sussex, Leicester, Kent or Exeter. Does he stand a chance? (providing he meets A level requirements)
Yeahhhhhh... brother's...
Reply 8
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
They're your grades really, aren't they?

My brother's - it's in the title :angry:

He wants to to study English at UEA, Sussex, Leicester, Kent or Exeter. Does he stand a chance? (providing he meets A level requirements)

Lots of universities overlook GCSEs if the A-levels make up for them. Provided he meets the basic requirements and isn't going for Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Dur, I reckon he'll be ok.
Reply 10
If he gets straight A's at AS and 3 A's at A -level (which is what everyone should ideally be aiming for as nothing is impossible) then yes.
Reply 11
Original post by JollyGreenAtheist
Lots of universities overlook GCSEs if the A-levels make up for them. Provided he meets the basic requirements and isn't going for Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Dur, I reckon he'll be ok.

Thanks :smile: UEA, Sussex, Kent, Exeter (too risky?) and Leicester he wants to go to...
Thanks :smile: UEA, Sussex, Kent, Exeter (too risky?) and Leicester he wants to go to...

I don't know if any of them are completely out of bounds, although with Exeter, they run an A*AA course and an AAB course (I think). The AAB course would be easier, methinks.

It's a bit early to be definitively planning universities, though. Get the results, do AS levels, take it from there.
My brother's - it's in the title :angry:

Yeah, I saw that.

But they're yours though, aren't they? :rolleyes:
Original post by Axion
If he gets straight A's at AS and 3 A's at A -level (which is what everyone should ideally be aiming for as nothing is impossible) then yes.

lol no.

AAA is hardly amazing anymore.
Reply 15
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Yeah, I saw that.

But they're yours though, aren't they? :rolleyes:

Ok. I did it for a psychological reason. I thought you'd be more honest if you weren't directly telling the person their grades are **** ;P
100% A-C... on what planet is that bad? I know a lot of people who've done a lot worse.
Ok. I did it for a psychological reason. I thought you'd be more honest if you weren't directly telling the person their grades are **** ;P

Trust me, people on TSR have no problem telling people their grades are terrible.
Reply 18
The grades are fine, at least he passed everything and as long as he gets the required A level grades for his chosen universities then I think he'll be able to get a place :smile:
What a levels did you get?

What was A* in?

Still doing my A Levels. I am predicted an A and then distinction, and another distinction (doing 2 BTEC's and 1 A Level). A* was in business studies.

Quick Reply