The Student Room Group

What is elitism and when is it OK in hiring?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
IMO no.5 is wrong, the rest are absolutely fine.

However, take the 'white' bit out of 5, and perhaps controversially I would say it is also acceptable. Some people go down that route and networking is a good skill to have in business.

The thing to remember (again IMO) is that businesses aren't like education, they shouldn't have to be fair. Why should they give a crap if you aren't smart enough, connected enough or educated enough? They should be allowed to spend their money on the best employees by whatever definition they like (barring racism and the like as that's clearly baseless).

:rolleyes:
Original post by Vazzyb
I wonder what peoples feelings are about what the word means especially regarding hiring and what is acceptable.

Im going to give you escalating (in my view, you can disagree of course) levels of "elitism" and what I want you to tell me is, what is OK and what isnt.

Scenario 1
"Intelligent Corp" decides that to be eligible for its jobs you need to have an IQ of over 120 and it makes all applicants sit an IQ test before interview.

This is not okay in my books. It is elitist because those who have more resources can prepare themselves better for the test. The tripartite education system already proved that judging people based solely on intelligence tests does not work. It also implies that those with lower IQ scores are somehow less worthy. To be honest I'm not quite sure why people think this is ok. IQ is also mostly inherited which would mean that certain employment opportunities are denied to you from the moment you are born.

Scenario 2

"Investman-Sachs" decides that it only wants to accept applications from students with a 1st or 2.1 in their undergraduate degree.

This is already being done anyway.

Scenario 3
"Loser Brothers" decides that it only wants to accept applications from students with good (1 or 2.1) degrees from certain universities which it believes produce smarter students.

I suspect this is already being done but it means that students who go to universities lower in the league tables are already having doors shut.

Scenario 4
"Old Boy Network Inc" decides that it only wants to accept applications from students with any degree from certain universities which it believes produce students better prepared for the "persuasion" of rich clients for investment.

It is quite elitist which would be okay if we were talking about a society or club but not an organisation seeking to employ people, surely.

Scenario 5
"Bullingdon Inc" decides that it only wants to accept applications from white students with numerous city connections because this is the easiest way to get new business.

Just plain racist. Not OK and not legal.

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts!

Vazzyb :smile:

There you go.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by MrHappy_J

Scenario 1
"Intelligent Corp" decides that to be eligible for its jobs you need to have an IQ of over 120 and it makes all applicants sit an IQ test before interview.

This is not okay in my books. It is elitist because those who have more resources can prepare themselves better for the test. The tripartite education system already proved that judging people based solely on intelligence tests does not work. It also implies that those with lower IQ scores are somehow less worthy. To be honest I'm not quite sure why people think this is ok. IQ is also mostly inherited which would mean that certain employment opportunities are denied to you from the moment you are born.

Scenario 2
"Investman-Sachs" decides that it only wants to accept applications from students with a 1st or 2.1 in their undergraduate degree.

Scenario 3
"Loser Brothers" decides that it only wants to accept applications from students with good (1 or 2.1) degrees from certain universities which it believes produce smarter students.

I suspect this is already being done but it means that students who go to universities lower in the league tables are already having doors shut.

Scenario 4
"Old Boy Network Inc" decides that it only wants to accept applications from students with any degree from certain universities which it believes produce students better prepared for the "persuasion" of rich clients for investment.

It is quite elitist which would be okay if we were talking about a society or club but not an organisation seeking to employ people, surely.

Scenario 5
"Bullingdon Inc" decides that it only wants to accept applications from white students with numerous city connections because this is the easiest way to get new business.

There you go.

Scenario 1 - It's not OK for companies to want clever people? Practically every company I've applied to asked me to do aptitude tests, which are essentially the same as IQ tests. It's perfectly acceptable, why should they not want to employ able people?

Scenario 2 - "this is being done already". So are 1-4. What is your point?

Scenario 3 - I've not gone to one of the top 10 uni's, but I still don't see why this is wrong. A company has no obligation to hear you, or to pay to have someone read your application / bring you to interview etc. Why shouldn't they have the right to pick certain universities which in their experience produce better candidates so as to cut down on the excessive number of applications?

Scenario 4 - This isn't one I've come across, but if the job involves persuading rich people then I again don't see why this is wrong. You're picking a candidate who is going to be better suited to the position.

On 5 we agree.
Original post by M1011
Scenario 1 - It's not OK for companies to want clever people? Practically every company I've applied to asked me to do aptitude tests, which are essentially the same as IQ tests. It's perfectly acceptable, why should they not want to employ able people?

Scenario 2 - "this is being done already". So are 1-4. What is your point?

Scenario 3 - I've not gone to one of the top 10 uni's, but I still don't see why this is wrong. A company has no obligation to hear you, or to pay to have someone read your application / bring you to interview etc. Why shouldn't they have the right to pick certain universities which in their experience produce better candidates so as to cut down on the excessive number of applications?

Scenario 4 - This isn't one I've come across, but if the job involves persuading rich people then I again don't see why this is wrong. You're picking a candidate who is going to be better suited to the position.

On 5 we agree.

I'm talking about what I see as morally right, not about what's legal or what companies are already doing.

I'm not going to debate on the IQ point as it's subjective. I just think it's unfair. But you're pretty right-wing if you think it's OK to employ only rich people or people from a certain university.
Reply 24
I'm talking about what I see as morally right, not about what's legal or what companies are already doing.

I'm not going to debate on the IQ point as it's subjective. I just think it's unfair. But you're pretty right-wing if you think it's OK to employ only rich people or people from a certain university.

I don't think it's that subjective to be honest. Why should companies not want to hire smart people? Welcome to the real world.

People from a certain university - absolutely. You don't get in to top universities easily, you get in through hard work and ability. Then you slave away for three years getting a degree from a top institution. Why can't employers target universities that they believe (rightly on average IMO) produce better students?

As for rich people, I did not say that nor do I support that. Nor did the OP say that.
Those applicants who are the best for the job should be hired . . . hiring the best doesn't make you a bad person.

Obv 5 is just plain racism though, and unacceptable.
Original post by M1011
I don't think it's that subjective to be honest. Why should companies not want to hire smart people? Welcome to the real world.

People from a certain university - absolutely. You don't get in to top universities easily, you get in through hard work and ability. Then you slave away for three years getting a degree from a top institution. Why can't employers target universities that they believe (rightly on average IMO) produce better students?

As for rich people, I did not say that nor do I support that. Nor did the OP say that.

If that's the real world, stop it spinning, I want out. I have an average IQ but I'd hate to think that was a reflection of my ability to do a job.

Yes but then again not everybody who has the ability to study at a top university will end up doing so. My grades are good enough to get me into a university further up the league table than the one I currently attend, but i chose not to apply. :dontknow: A lot of incredibly bright students with all the right grades also get turned down from these universities simply because there aren't enough places.

You did say that, re read your post. "if the job involves persuading rich people then I again don't see why this is wrong. You're picking a candidate who is going to be better suited to the position"
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27

I wonder what peoples feelings are about what the word means especially regarding hiring and what is acceptable.

Im going to give you escalating (in my view, you can disagree of course) levels of "elitism" and what I want you to tell me is, what is OK and what isnt.

Scenario 1

Well, I think employers will want people who are prepared. And in many fields you need to be smart to get on with the work at hand. You would not want an engineer, or doctor to be unintelligent. This is called teleological (purpose) reasoning/ morality- you may look it up if you're interested. IQ is not completely inherited anyway but a partially heritable trait, and if you really tried hard you could improve.

Scenario 2

Scenario 3

Finite resources and too many applications I'm afraid.

Scenario 4

Kinda agree because there are talented people outside elite unis and seems like the company is making decisions on a misinformed principle. Although you could invoke the finite resources and not enough time argument again.

Scenario 5

We have found some common ground at last. This claim is baseless- also not at all meritocratic unlike some of the previous kinds of selection

Tharr she blows.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Blutooth
Tharr she blows.

:confused:

Oh you edited it :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 29
:confused:

Oh you edited it :rolleyes:

Lol that's cute; you must have that average iq that you so claim. Just joking :tongue:
Lol that's cute; you must have that average iq that you so claim. Just joking :tongue:

Well I do, I have no reason to make that up. I am a bit thick. It's not really an insult since I acknowledge it. There's not an awful lot I can do about it since my family are pretty average/ below average.

Pardon me for not paying much attention to the post you quoted, it is nearly 2am after all. And the font you used wasn't radically different.

Of course employers will want individuals who are "prepared", but what I was saying is that the upper/middle classes will have more resources to get "prepared" than the working class.

On the whole I'm just a bit alarmed by what a lot of people on here consider to be "absolutely fine". I don't think anybody wants to be denied a job just because they didn't go to Oxbridge. But that's just me and my silly little brain.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31
Well I do, I have no reason to make that up. I am a bit thick. It's not really an insult since I acknowledge it.

Pardon me for not paying much attention to the post you quoted, it is nearly 2am after all.

Of course employers will want individuals who are "prepared", but what I was saying is that the upper/middle classes will have more resources to get "prepared" than the working class.

I was just joking about the earlier comment :smile: I say dumb stuff all the time.
I don't think intelligence is something so easily quantified by IQ tests, and I think it's possible to get smarter/ dumber over long periods of time. Intelligence is dynamic. Abstinence from booze and parties seems to have made me dumber, so I'm trying get back into my groove..

Anyway, about your other point

Not necessarily true. By the time you are 18 you can motivate yourself to get prepared for a job regardless of social background. We've all got to take responsibility for ourselves at some point...
I was just joking about the earlier comment :smile: I say dumb stuff all the time.
I don't think intelligence is something so easily quantified by IQ tests, and I think it's possible to get smarter/ dumber over long periods of time. Intelligence is dynamic. Abstinence from booze and parties seems to have made me dumber, so I'm trying get back into my groove..

Anyway, about your other point

Not necessarily true. By the time you are 18 you can motivate yourself to get prepared for a job regardless of social background. We've all got to take responsibility for ourselves at some point...

I presume you're doing a degree at Oxford so you'll forgive me if I don't take your word for it. Especially in the current climate.

It's been pretty much proven that IQ is fixed and stable over time.
Reply 33
I presume you're doing a degree at Oxford so you'll forgive me if I don't take your word for it. Especially in the current climate.

It's been pretty much proven that IQ is fixed and stable over time.

Can't deny that the Oxford badge of honour helps when it comes to getting jobs, but I would still think the main determinant of success in the jobs market is how committed and focused you are.

Don't agree with the last line one bit. Most children/teenagers can't do mathematical, linguistic or problem-solving tasks that adults do, why? It's not only because they are less knowledgeable but also because they are less intelligent. The way I see it, intelligence feeds off practice and knowledge. The more knowledgeable you become, the more information your brain can draw from and the smarter you get. The immutability of IQ is just a rumour that has been perpetrated by quasi- scientific academics to get into Mensa :tongue: , put other classes or races down and advance their own political agendas .

Anyway, gonna get some shuteye. It's been nice talking to you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 34
If that's the real world, stop it spinning, I want out. I have an average IQ but I'd hate to think that was a reflection of my ability to do a job.

:007:

I'm afraid it is the real world and it is a reflection on your aptitude towards certain jobs. That's not to say it is the case for everyone, nor is it to say intelligence is important in all positions or situations (it's far from the most important thing IMO).

However the fact of the matter is that IQ is a very good indicator of ability WHEN put in context with other assessments. It is not great on its own (before someone points out the geniuses who are out there that can't tie their own shoes), but it is a viable part of a collection of assessments (and one used a lot for that purpose). Cognitive complexity has been researched in depth if you're interested in learning more, I certainly am not! :wink:

Yes but then again not everybody who has the ability to study at a top university will end up doing so. My grades are good enough to get me into a university further up the league table than the one I currently attend, but i chose not to apply. :dontknow: A lot of incredibly bright students with all the right grades also get turned down from these universities simply because there aren't enough places.

Oh dear, life isn't fair. Move on? I hate to sound harsh, but you're still in the education mindset where everyone should have an equal opportunity. That's not how the world works. Whatever the reason for you not going to a top 10 university (and again I stress, I'm not in one of those either), that is your own problem. From the employers prospective they can view top universities as a filter on applications. While that filter may not be perfect (there will be good candidates denied an opportunity) it may make very good business sense due to the costs of interviewing 1000s of applicants.

You did say that, re read your post. "if the job involves persuading rich people then I again don't see why this is wrong. You're picking a candidate who is going to be better suited to the position"

At no point have I said people should be given a job because they are rich.. That is not the scenario the OP presented in the fourth option. They said if the position involves persuading rich people to invest (a viable job), then is it OK to only look at certain universities. This doesn't involve the candidate being rich, it involves them having gone to a posh university like Oxford (which you do not have to be rich to attend). That does present a certain image and I see no issue with employers capitalising on that.
Can't deny that the Oxford badge of honour helps when it comes to getting jobs, but I would still think the main determinant of success in the jobs market is how committed and focused you are.

Don't agree with the last line one bit. Most children/teenagers can't do mathematical, linguistic or problem-solving tasks that adults do, why? It's not only because they are less knowledgeable but also because they are less intelligent. The way I see it, intelligence feeds off practice and knowledge. The more knowledgeable you become, the more information your brain can draw from and the smarter you get. The immutability of IQ is just a rumour that has been perpetrated by quasi- scientific academics to get into Mensa :tongue: , put other classes or races down and advance their own political agendas .

Children and teenagers are not less intelligent than adults :facepalm: that's not how it works. in any case there are specialised iq tests for children of various ages in proportion to their stage of development. So a child wouldn't take the same iq test as an adult as that would be unfair.

If I'm 20 and I have a lower than average iq there is little i can do to change that.
Original post by M1011
:007:

I'm afraid it is the real world and it is a reflection on your aptitude towards certain jobs. That's not to say it is the case for everyone, nor is it to say intelligence is important in all positions or situations (it's far from the most important thing IMO).

However the fact of the matter is that IQ is a very good indicator of ability WHEN put in context with other assessments. It is not great on its own (before someone points out the geniuses who are out there that can't tie their own shoes), but it is a viable part of a collection of assessments (and one used a lot for that purpose). Cognitive complexity has been researched in depth if you're interested in learning more, I certainly am not! :wink:

Oh dear, life isn't fair. Move on? I hate to sound harsh, but you're still in the education mindset where everyone should have an equal opportunity. That's not how the world works. Whatever the reason for you not going to a top 10 university (and again I stress, I'm not in one of those either), that is your own problem. From the employers prospective they can view top universities as a filter on applications. While that filter may not be perfect (there will be good candidates denied an opportunity) it may make very good business sense due to the costs of interviewing 1000s of applicants.

At no point have I said people should be given a job because they are rich.. That is not the scenario the OP presented in the fourth option. They said if the position involves persuading rich people to invest (a viable job), then is it OK to only look at certain universities. This doesn't involve the candidate being rich, it involves them having gone to a posh university like Oxford (which you do not have to be rich to attend). That does present a certain image and I see no issue with employers capitalising on that.

oh dear god you have said so many things that are BS i cant even be bothered to answer to them. People don't get equal opportunities in real life, that's true, but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 37

You're mistaking intelligence with knowledge. IQ tests don't require knowledge, it's all puzzle solving. Either you think that way or you do not. You can't draw upon practical experience and knowledge in order to know which image comes next in a sequence!

That's not to say you can't improve by practising the tests (although IMO this rather defeats the purpose unless you can practice in real life situations), but you will only improve so much as it is ultimately an aptitude test. Also Mensa does consider the age of children, they require lower scores to gain a place. So it is fair to say there is some leeway up until 16 (I believe, might be 14).
Reply 38
oh dear god you have said so many things that are BS i cant even be bothered to answer to them. People don't get equal opportunities in real life, that's true, but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't.

I think it's more along the lines of you can't answer them... nothing I've said is 'BS'.

I hate this childish attitude that everyone should be treated the same. We are all different and we all have different strengths and weaknesses. Why on earth should this not be considered by an employer if it has an impact on the job that person performs?

I find you ignorant, idealistic and clueless to be perfectly honest.
Original post by Vazzyb

Scenario 1

Scenario 2

Scenario 3

Scenario 4

Scenario 5

Vazzyb :smile:

I am completely fine with the first four. No issue whatsoever, a business ought to be free to decide who to hire on any basis it likes when it comes to educational backgrounds.

Racism is where I draw the line. That isn't acceptable to me.

Quick Reply

Latest