The Student Room Group

M1 Question

I'm really struggling to understand question 3a on the Solomon Paper L. I've looked at the markscheme but still can't understand how to get to the answer.
Could someone please explain the question and the markscheme? :colondollar:
Reply 1
Original post by NutterFrutter
I'm really struggling to understand question 3a on the Solomon Paper L. I've looked at the markscheme but still can't understand how to get to the answer.
Could someone please explain the question and the markscheme? :colondollar:

They are just resolving the forces both vertically and horizontally.

First resolve horizontally, this will give, TBcos(90α)=TAcosα T_Bcos(90- \alpha) = T_Acos\alpha

Remember, cos(90α)=sinα cos(90- \alpha) =sin\alpha

So the equation becomes TBsinα=TAcosα    TB×35=TA×45    TA=3TB4 \displaystyle T_Bsin\alpha = T_Acos\alpha \implies T_B \times \frac35 = T_A \times \frac45 \implies T_A=\frac{3T_B}{4}

Now resolve vertically,
TAsinα+TBsin(90α)=1000g T_Asin\alpha + T_Bsin(90-\alpha) = 1000g

Remember, sin(90α)=cosα sin(90- \alpha) =cos\alpha

So the equation becomes, TAsinα+TBcosα=1000g \displaystyle T_Asin\alpha + T_Bcos\alpha = 1000g

Now i think you can do it further.

Do you get it?
Reply 2
Original post by raheem94
They are just resolving the forces both vertically and horizontally.

First resolve horizontally, this will give, TBcos(90α)=TAcosα T_Bcos(90- \alpha) = T_Acos\alpha

Remember, cos(90α)=sinα cos(90- \alpha) =sin\alpha

So the equation becomes TBsinα=TAcosα    TB×35=TA×45    TA=3TB4 \displaystyle T_Bsin\alpha = T_Acos\alpha \implies T_B \times \frac35 = T_A \times \frac45 \implies T_A=\frac{3T_B}{4}

Now resolve vertically,
TAsinα+TBsin(90α)=1000g T_Asin\alpha + T_Bsin(90-\alpha) = 1000g

Remember, sin(90α)=cosα sin(90- \alpha) =cos\alpha

So the equation becomes, TAsinα+TBcosα=1000g \displaystyle T_Asin\alpha + T_Bcos\alpha = 1000g

Now i think you can do it further.

Do you get it?

Ahhh, I didn't think C2 methods would be required for a M1 paper as the only prerequisite is C1, but it is a Solomon Press paper. :lol: Anyway, thanks for the help, I understand it now. :smile:
Reply 3
Ahhh, I didn't think C2 methods would be required for a M1 paper as the only prerequisite is C1, but it is a Solomon Press paper. :lol: Anyway, thanks for the help, I understand it now. :smile:

I actually would have done this question using a vector triangle, rather than the mark scheme technique.
Reply 4
I actually would have done this question using a vector triangle, rather than the mark scheme technique.

Could you explain how to do it using a vector triangle? :unsure:
Reply 5
Could you explain how to do it using a vector triangle? :unsure:

See the image below, it is the vector triangle for it,

Now to find TB T_B , we will do,
sin(90α)=TB1000g    cosα=TB1000g    45×1000g=TB    TB=7840N \displaystyle sin(90-\alpha) = \frac{T_B}{1000g} \implies cos\alpha = \frac{T_B}{1000g} \implies \frac45 \times 1000g = T_B \\ \implies \boxed{T_B=7840N}

Do i make any sense?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
See the image below, it is the vector triangle for it,

Now to find TB T_B , we will do,
sin(90α)=TB1000g    cosα=TB1000g    45×1000g=TB    TB=7840N \displaystyle sin(90-\alpha) = \frac{T_B}{1000g} \implies cos\alpha = \frac{T_B}{1000g} \implies \frac45 \times 1000g = T_B \\ \implies \boxed{T_B=7840N}

Do i make any sense?

Yes, it makes sense. Thanks. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest