The Student Room Group

Bill Maher: Obama Knows "For The Sake Of Black America He Needs The Second Term"

Comedian Bill Maher was on the record saying that its important that for Black America, Obama is re-elected. If a black president was a one-term president, white america would read that as failure.

Here's the clip (54 seconds):

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/05/05/maher_obama_knows_for_the_sake_of_black_america_he_needs_the_second_term.html

In away I agree, the most important thing about Obama was electing a black president. Nothing else really matters, nobody cares about his policies, if he's only slightly different from Bush, who cares, it doesn't matter as long America has a black president for two terms thats whats important IMO. The image.

Do you agree??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Partially I do. Of course, it doesn't matter to an intellectual person, but look at the electorate as a whole. If your bog standard voter is asked about Obama, if he was a one-term president, then he is going to claim that a black president shouldn't have been elected. All it will do is give ammo to the racists and the more conservative Americans.
Surely, it's more important to have a president who's policies are beneficial to the country as a whole, rather than because of his skin colour. I know it was a whole big thing that he was the first African-American president, but that point's been made, surely? If Obama is re-elected it should be because of his policies, not because of his race. Should have been the reason people voted for him in the first place.
America has a 14% black population, he's guaranteed re-election.
Reply 4
Its depressing that people will vote for or against someone based on their skin colour. Race should not even be an electoral issue.
Reply 5
What America needs is a presdent who isn't elected by corporate lobbying and is instead elected by the American people.
It's retarded to vote for people because of their race. I guess America will always be ruled by dumbasses.
Original post by Aj12
Its depressing that people will vote for or against someone based on their skin colour. Race should not even be an electoral issue.
People vote on all kinds of stupid things. Gordon Brown never smiles, no one asks how often their heart surgeon smiles. John McCain cheated on his wife? No one asks their defence lawyer if he's always been faithful to his wife. Its not relevant to the how well they do their job, but people care about perception.
Original post by Aj12

Exactly, but unfortunately for some, it is.

This might sound slightly off-topic, but I even remember reading somewhere that some black Americans claimed that they would not have voted for him if he was married to a white woman. This doesn't surprise me. So it shows - for some, race is an electoral issue unfortunately.

Also, people vote for dumb reasons. For example, people voted for Boris in the Mayor of London Elections because "he's a nice chap with a lovely personality" but if you asked these people what his plans are for London for the next 4 years, they wouldn't have a clue.
(edited 11 years ago)
Obama wasn't voted in just because he was black. African Americans have historically voted for Democrats. That plays a large part. At best, you could say he drew African-Americans who didn't really vote to vote because he was black. And the reason why Obama is going to be reelected again is simple because there aren't any viable alternative. People don't vote in presidents because they look at their policies and do a analysis to see which is right, even self-proclaimed intellectuals don't do this and just go on by what they see on their alternative news websites. They vote on irrelevant grounds like religion. This is why the candidates have to rely on rhetoric to attract voters.
This it the problem for me with Obama. It almost seems as though some Americans voted for him so they could have their first black president, rather than basing their votre on his policies. Now the novelty has worn off I'm not sure he'll keep the presidency
96% of blacks voted ofr Obama. thats a statistical fact. *waiting for thumbs down:rolleyes:
Reply 12
Bill Maher can **** himself.
Reply 13
Obama was Wall Street, and the Militaries choice, of course he was going to get in, and will again.
Original post by The_Crocker
96% of blacks voted ofr Obama. thats a statistical fact. *waiting for thumbs down:rolleyes:

Source?
Reply 15
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
the reason why Obama is going to be reelected again is simple because there aren't any viable alternative.

The reason Obama will be voted in again is because he is backed by a lot of corporate interests. Its all about marketing.
Original post by The_Crocker

83% of blacks voted for Cilnton and 87% for Kerry in 2004.
Original post by prog2djent
The reason Obama will be voted in again is because he is backed by a lot of corporate interests. Its all about marketing.

No it isn't. This is just **** pseudo-intellectuals say to make themselves think their smart and know everything.
Reply 18
Original post by doggyfizzel
People vote on all kinds of stupid things. Gordon Brown never smiles, no one asks how often their heart surgeon smiles. John McCain cheated on his wife? No one asks their defence lawyer if he's always been faithful to his wife. Its not relevant to the how well they do their job, but people care about perception.

I'm pretty certain Gordon Brown didn't lose the general election because he couldn't smile. His political and economic incompetence I'm sure were bigger problems.
Original post by Keckers
I'm pretty certain Gordon Brown didn't lose the general election because he couldn't smile. His political and economic incompetence I'm sure were bigger problems.
Pretty sure I never said that. That's just a statement you made. Gordon Brown was often said to be unelectable because he wasn't likeable enough, regardless of his policies. The point was why does the Prime Minster have to be likeable? I never said it was his only flaw or even the most important.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending