The Student Room Group

Argentinian Olympics ad secretly filmed in the Falklands

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/may/04/falklands-olympic-ad-insensitive-stunt-argentina?newsfeed=true

Britain has criticised Argentina for broadcasting a television advertisement referring to the Falkland Islands as "Argentinian soil", accusing it of staging provocative and insensitive stunts to garner support for its claim to the overseas territory.

The ad was filmed secretly on the islands and shows an Argentinian hockey player training at a variety of manifestly British landmarks, including a first world war memorial. It was aired on Wednesday and appears to have been timed to mark the 30th anniversary of the sinking of the Belgrano, as well as the runup to the London Olympics.

After a series of shots showing Fernando Zylberberg running and exercising, the clip carries the message: "To compete on English soil, we train on Argentinian soil". Using the Argentinian name for the islands, the ad is entitled: "Olympic Games 2012: Homage to the Fallen and the Veterans of the Malvinas".

The Foreign Office condemned what it interpreted as an attempt to "exploit the Games".

Thoughts? As far as I'm aware, the Falklands have NEVER been Argentinian soil. They have insulted us and our brave men who gave their lives in the war.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Either way it is a provocative video - they're only at it because they have their own domestic problems again.
It's pretty disgusting that they used a British War Memorial (not even connected to the Falklands War - so hardly controversial) for anti-British propaganda. But at the end of the day, it's just as irrelevant as their president, and just like their president, should just be ignored.
I don't understand why people are just fine with people mocking the British in this way. If people weren't fine, the Argentinians would be banned from taking part.
Original post by Snagprophet
I don't understand why people are just fine with people mocking the British in this way. If people weren't fine, the Argentinians would be banned from taking part.

Because we've matured emotionally beyond the level of a 4 year old?
Original post by callum9999
Because we've matured emotionally beyond the level of a 4 year old?

I just think it's inappropriate for there to be no consequences.

It's an advert. I hardly think "consequences" are necessary over and above a referral to the IOC and a condemnation.
Reply 7
Let the argentinians complain about the falklands all they want, we have more important things to deal with and they are of no threat.
They think it's their soil...then try and take it from us.

All Argentina can really do in trying to claim the Falklands is repeatedly say it's theirs... anything past that would result in the total destruction of whatever rag-tag air-naval force it sends our way, with minimal British losses to boot.

All military chat aside, to be honest this kind of thing doesn't surprise me, it's such a hot topic (especially with oil being discovered recently) that even in the olympics, politics is going to come crawling in... And besides, due to them not posing any threat to us, it's probably not worth wasting out breath over anyway...
(edited 11 years ago)
Now that is just pathetic...
Reply 10
Normally I'd be happy to just ignore them, but using a war memorial in the way they have is just so, so wrong.
this Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner woman needs a big fat hairy cock in her mouth maybe then she will shut up and concentrate on her own country.
It's an advert. I hardly think "consequences" are necessary over and above a referral to the IOC and a condemnation.

Dude, if I ever got my hands on a jet, consequences would never be the same again for Kirchner .
Dude, if I ever got my hands on a jet, consequences would never be the same again for Kirchner .

Seems rather sadistic and unbalanced...
Seems rather sadistic and unbalanced...

'unbalanced' :rofl:
Reply 15
Typical Argie crying.

Oddly enough, some braindead, Lib-tards support the Argentine claim for the Islands. Despite the fact The Netherlands actually have more of a claim. It's just the Argentine way to try and deflect the clueless, braindead public at homes attention from the many problems blighting the country.

Of course, the so-called liberal left supporting the Argentine claim are just sheep following the crowd and latching onto whichever cause they can to try and bring some meaning into their sad pathetic lives whilst sparing no thought at all to the 3000 residents of The Falklands who want to remain under British rule.
if they go for another invasion we'll get the armed forces to knock the **** out of them, hopefully with the help of the spanish, french, germans etc.
Original post by patrickinator
if they go for another invasion we'll get the armed forces to knock the **** out of them, hopefully with the help of the spanish, french, germans etc.

Yeah. Okay bro. ;p
Reply 18

We are quietly building support amongst south American nations like Chile. Better to be doing actual actions behind the scenes than yelling and screaming loudly and doing nothing of actual consequence. Argentina's pissing off everyone from credit agencies to Spain and other European nations we don't really have to do anything at all, they are blowing their own feet off through their actions.
Reply 19
Someone said 'pathetic' above. Spot on. It's utterly impotent moaning which only serves to make Argentina look bad.

Largely because of their approach, there is now no chance that the Falklands will be part of Argentina.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending