The Student Room Group

Bill Maher: Obama Knows "For The Sake Of Black America He Needs The Second Term"

Scroll to see replies

Just because he is black doesn't mean he should be president. According to my relatives the US has gone down hill since him.
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
83% of blacks voted for Cilnton and 87% for Kerry in 2004.

:s-smilie: whats that got to do with anything
Reply 22
Original post by justmyopinions
Just because he is black doesn't mean he should be president. According to my relatives the US has gone down hill since him.

The president isn't only to blame for that. Congress have a fairly significant input over how the country is run. It also doesn't help that the Fed is currently run by incompetent idiots.
Original post by Keckers
The president isn't only to blame for that. Congress have a fairly significant input over how the country is run. It also doesn't help that the Fed is currently run by incompetent idiots.

eh completely agree
The scary thing is that there are people that vote Republican...
Original post by justmyopinions

Yeh that has nothing to do with economic factors outside of his control...
Reply 26
Original post by Aramiss18
The scary thing is that there are people that vote Republican...

The whole American political system is full of idiots. To claim that the Republicans are somehow worse than the Democrats is stupid. Taking the mick out of Republicans has become the idiot's joke.

It doesn't help that the highly polarised corporate media in America throw boat loads of money and air time at various charismatic 'politicians'. America should be something great, the fact that their politicians seem to go out of their way to step all over the constitution has made them something of a laughing stock.
Original post by Brutal Honesty
America has a 14% black population, he's guaranteed re-election.

Original post by The_Crocker
96% of blacks voted for Obama. that's a statistical fact. *waiting for thumbs down:rolleyes:

So Obama is guaranteed re-election because %96 of %14 may or may not vote for him, do the maths, he needs the white vote for this re-election as they make up approx. %74 of the population.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Keckers
The whole American political system is full of idiots. To claim that the Republicans are somehow worse than the Democrats is stupid. Taking the mick out of Republicans has become the idiot's joke.

It doesn't help that the highly polarised corporate media in America throw boat loads of money and air time at various charismatic 'politicians'. America should be something great, the fact that their politicians seem to go out of their way to step all over the constitution has made them something of a laughing stock.

I would argue that the Democrats are the best of the worst. Every time I see a Republican speak I shake my head in disbelief at what they come out with- i'm not simply being a sheep here.

But I agree- the whole US political scene in the US is ridiculous.
Original post by Sharpshooter
Comedian Bill Maher was on the record saying that its important that for Black America, Obama is re-elected. If a black president was a one-term president, white america would read that as failure.

Here's the clip (54 seconds):

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/05/05/maher_obama_knows_for_the_sake_of_black_america_he_needs_the_second_term.html

In away I agree, the most important thing about Obama was electing a black president. Nothing else really matters, nobody cares about his policies, if he's only slightly different from Bush, who cares, it doesn't matter as long America has a black president for two terms thats whats important IMO. The image.

Do you agree??

No-one cares about his policies? I'm not American so maybe my views don't count, but I wanted Obama to win because I preferred his policies, by FAR, to Bush. He seems (maybe that's a keyword here?) much more than "slightly different" to Bush to me.

And if it's because he is black, not his policies, then I'm confused why he'd bother campaigning at all? Everyone knows he's black already...
Original post by SubAtomic
So Obama is guaranteed re-election because %96 of %14 may or may not vote for him, do the maths, he needs the white vote for this re-election as they make up approx. %74 of the population.

ok, now your talking about somehting which i have no interest in.
Reply 31
Original post by Aramiss18
I would argue that the Democrats are the best of the worst. Every time I see a Republican speak I shake my head in disbelief at what they come out with- i'm not simply being a sheep here.

But I agree- the whole US political scene in the US is ridiculous.

Listen to Ron Paul a bit more. He at least has the constitution at heart.
I hope Obama wins, he has a great personality, and there's still a lot of him that we are yet to see.
Original post by callum9999
No-one cares about his policies? I'm not American so maybe my views don't count, but I wanted Obama to win because I preferred his policies, by FAR, to Bush. He seems (maybe that's a keyword here?) much more than "slightly different" to Bush to me.

And if it's because he is black, not his policies, then I'm confused why he'd bother campaigning at all? Everyone knows he's black already...

If you look properly you'll see he's not actually that much different from Bush in a lot ways. Examples:

Civil Liberties - NDAA and warrentless wiretapping.
Expansion of the Afghan war - more troops dead in Afghanistan than under Bush
Extension of Bush Tax cuts
Romneycare statewide
Running drone wars in about 6 different countries

etc etc
Original post by Brutal Honesty
America has a 14% black population, he's guaranteed re-election.

Not every black person supports him, you know...
Original post by Sharpshooter
Comedian Bill Maher was on the record saying that its important that for Black America, Obama is re-elected. If a black president was a one-term president, white america would read that as failure.

Here's the clip (54 seconds):

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/05/05/maher_obama_knows_for_the_sake_of_black_america_he_needs_the_second_term.html

In away I agree, the most important thing about Obama was electing a black president. Nothing else really matters, nobody cares about his policies, if he's only slightly different from Bush, who cares, it doesn't matter as long America has a black president for two terms thats whats important IMO. The image.

Do you agree??

Electing the most powerful person in the world based on not offending the african american community?
Stupidest thing I ever heard.
Obama has failed to change anything in US politics and he's failed to redress America's budget and economic problems.
Let Americans decide if he deserves a second term.
Reply 36
No it isn't. This is just **** pseudo-intellectuals say to make themselves think their smart and know everything.

:mad:

People who say "Pseudo-inellectuals" to things as trivial as thing are usually pseudo-intellectuals themselves trying to get one up on the other by looking different, pointing it out.

There are a lot of braindead liberal types that will say "its the corporations maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan" to just about anything, and use that to criticise obama, but that's a kind of learned knowledge, they heard it from some other establishment liberal, musician, celebrity, whatever, and think they are now enlightened, and use it themselves, "wake up and see the truth man, its the corporations that are corporationary and, yeah, capitalism is evil, military, corporations!!! riuegdfdgdfgdjeenfjdkdfdj!".

IF you do some research yourself, then you find out that ever since Kennedy, every president that has been elected, has been the choice of various private interests and major financial insitutions, and even the military.

The question is whether elections success and backing from (what are perceived to be) shady groups are mutually exclusive, personally, I think so.

Obama would have never been elected without the cash and marketing backing, the Media (owned by the same corporations that funded his campaign) were on his side.

I CBA looking through souces to find stats about his funding from various banks, the military and private hands, but you get my point right?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 37
Obama wasn't voted in just because he was black. African Americans have historically voted for Democrats. That plays a large part. At best, you could say he drew African-Americans who didn't really vote to vote because he was black. And the reason why Obama is going to be reelected again is simple because there aren't any viable alternative. People don't vote in presidents because they look at their policies and do a analysis to see which is right, even self-proclaimed intellectuals don't do this and just go on by what they see on their alternative news websites. They vote on irrelevant grounds like religion. This is why the candidates have to rely on rhetoric to attract voters.

Actually they historically voted Republican. It's relatively recently that they have started voting Democrat.
Original post by prog2djent
IF you do some research yourself, then you find out that ever since Kennedy, every president that has been elected, has been the choice of various private interests and major financial insitutions, and even the military.

The question is whether elections success and backing from (what are perceived to be) shady groups are mutually exclusive, personally, I think so.

Obama would have never been elected without the cash and marketing backing, the Media (owned by the same corporations that funded his campaign) were on his side.

So what? Corporations and military and university institution are made out of individuals. Individuals like you and me. Individuals are self-interested, they're going to be voting for the party that helps them out of the most. This is why typically, there's a good correlation between wealth and Labor/Conservative stronghold. If you're talking about PACs, they're made out of employees and don't represent the company. This is why Goldman Sach donated 300k to Bush and 300k to Kerry in 2004. But, in 2008 they donated more to Obama than Mcain. It doesn't mean that the corporation via shareholders decided to fund Obama, it just means that the employees supported Obama more than Mcain. Think of it like a fundraiser.

Marketing cost cash typically, correct. However, word of mouth is very important in Marketing as well. Obama marketed himself properly. He didn't need backing of the media. The media are always interested in presidential election. And they're always going to give time to candidates that show they have a chance to win. Obama happened to be such a candidate. Unlike Ron Paul who didn't get much media time, he wasn't very radical and was centrist. He had a catchy slogan (yes we can). He had African-American artists support. He had influential African-American like Oprah support. Oprah is a very powerful women so powerful she had a term called "The Oprah Effect". The media are also self-interested. You have some media organizations that support democrats and some support republicans. Individuals have opinions just because you're powerful doesn't mean your right to opinion somehow diminishes. It isn't hard to believe that some Media tycon's like Obama and decided to give him a little boast and a little face time. Although, again there was massive support for Obama outside the media and the media also gave him face-time because of this support he had. They have to give viable presidential candidates face-time.

It's not a big secret. It's not a conspiracy. It's just correct marketing + support from influential figures + media face-time which comes from the previous two + enthusiastic followers. I don't think I was wrong to dub people who view it as a massive conspiracy as pseudo-intellectuals because that's what they are.

Original post by Nick100
Actually they historically voted Republican. It's relatively recently that they have started voting Democrat.

They've been voting for Democrats since 1936.
Reply 39
bill maher is a racist jew.

he hates black gentiles and white gentiles.

everything that he says is about fermenting hatred between gentile white and black communities.

Quick Reply

Latest