The Student Room Group

I'm 23 and I really don't know what to do for a career! I need some advice, anyone??

First of all, I really appreciate for anyone taking their time to read this and reply.

Basically, I'm 23 (Almost 24) years old and I haven't got any idea of where I want to be in life. I don't have a career panned out, unlike many people my age. I am really struggling to figure out a career path. It is slightly depressing, even though I put on a brave face. I am good at boxing, but I don't think I want to turn pro in the sport, just because I care for my health too much.

Apart from this, I don't really have a huge amount of interests. I like Music, and I can sing well, but I don't want the fame that comes with being a musician. I know it sounds weird, being a boxer who can sing, but I guess I am fortunate to have a good singing voice too.

I like Exotic animals, and I have thought about going back to education to become a Zoologist. But I don't really feel education is for me to be honest. I understand education is important, and it gives you more opportunity for a better career, but if I have no desire for education any more, I don't see the point in putting myself through it.

I never went to University, but when I was 18 I started college, an age when most students are finishing college. I started on a foundation course because my GCSEs were bad, and from that I went onto a normal 2 year course. So all together, I spent 3 years in college and left when I was 21.

I studied Sport Science, but now It's a subject I'm not interested in any more. I realise it was now a waste of 3 years, which could of gone into something more worthwhile, but at the time it was an interest of mine. Don't get me wrong, I still love sport, BUT It's just not something I want to have a career in.

I currently work as a Building Assistant for a friend of the family, the money is average for the work I do. I do work hard, but it's not something I want for the rest of my life. To be honest, I'm not interested in building or trades, I just took this job because it was offered to me, and I needed work at the time. But now I realise I need to start my own career somehow, but I'm not sure how or what!

I wouldn't mind opening my own business in Sports Nutrition, but again, that requires lots of money to start the business. And I also have no idea about business! So I would be like a small fish in a massive pond! lol.

Anyway, sorry to keep rambling, but I really am a bit frustrated and slightly depressed about this.

Any helpful advice you can offer?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Your Hollywood dreams haven't worked out, then?

Maybe look courses run by the Open University? You say you want to become a zoologist, but is that even a job? Short of getting work at the Natural History Museum (which I imagine is ridiculously competitive), I wouldn't think it is. Maybe something within the construction industry, like surveying or something.
I hear a career in drug dealing can be quite lucrative....
You seem to have made a long list of interests and talents but then given reasons as to why you can't or shouldn't make a career out of them.
Seeing as you've not really put anything about what you're realistically considering, your best bet would be to at-least try and pursue something in sport science, if that's what you have studied at college. You've not mentioned whether you're employed at the moment, but if you're not, volunteering someplace related to sport science may be a place to start. Try speaking to people that are in the field to see what career opportunities are out there. You say you're not really interested in SS anymore. Maybe it's possible to use your set skills in another career you'd like. You may even find that you actually are interested in it still.
I'm not saying you should do something you're not interested in at all. Ultimately the decision remains yours, but if you're not doing much career wise atm - doing something is better than nothing, and if you don't have a clear direction, doing some work experience or volunteering might just be enough to give you some suggestions.
Best of luck
Reply 4
Original post by geetar

Maybe look courses run by the Open University? You say you want to become a zoologist, but is that even a job? Short of getting work at the Natural History Museum (which I imagine is ridiculously competitive), I wouldn't think it is. Maybe something within the construction industry, like surveying or something.

NO, Zoology is study of Animal Biology and Behaviour. But it would mean going to Uni for a degree, which like I said, I'm not sure if I want to return to education at 23/24 years old. And I'm not interested in Construction or Surveying.
Reply 5
Original post by TheEnigmaUK
NO, Zoology is study of Animal Biology and Behaviour. But it would mean going to Uni for a degree, which like I said, I'm not sure if I want to return to education at 23/24 years old. And I'm not interested in Construction or Surveying.

I know what Zoology is, my point is what would you do with it? I don't think you should do a degree just for the sake of it. Unless you did the PGCE after and became a teacher.

Maybe get work at a gym or a sports shop, and work your way up.
Reply 6
Original post by geetar

Maybe look courses run by the Open University? You say you want to become a zoologist, but is that even a job? Short of getting work at the Natural History Museum (which I imagine is ridiculously competitive), I wouldn't think it is.

...why would Zoology lead to the Natural History Museum by default...:s-smilie:

Zoology is animal biology basically. Surely by default it would lead to a zoological field..i.e... working in a Zoo/wildlife park/ conservative centre (or project abroad)?
Reply 7
But it would mean going to Uni for a degree, which like I said, I'm not sure if I want to return to education at 23/24 years old.

Why not? I'm 25 and I'll be a month off 26 when I start Uni. Have a think about it if you would really like to do Zoology.
Reply 8
Original post by SweetsAndSugar
You seem to have made a long list of interests and talents but then given reasons as to why you can't or shouldn't make a career out of them.
Seeing as you've not really put anything about what you're realistically considering, your best bet would be to at-least try and pursue something in sport science, if that's what you have studied at college. You've not mentioned whether you're employed at the moment, but if you're not, volunteering someplace related to sport science may be a place to start. Try speaking to people that are in the field to see what career opportunities are out there. You say you're not really interested in SS anymore. Maybe it's possible to use your set skills in another career you'd like. You may even find that you actually are interested in it still.
I'm not saying you should do something you're not interested in at all. Ultimately the decision remains yours, but if you're not doing much career wise atm - doing something is better than nothing, and if you don't have a clear direction, doing some work experience or volunteering might just be enough to give you some suggestions.
Best of luck

Yeah I did mention I had a job working as a building assistant with a friend of the family. It's not my ideal job, but it's something I took because I needed work and money. I work hard in the job for the money I get, but it's not something I want to do for the rest of my life. I've never been overly interested in trade jobs, e.g. Building, plumbing, electricians etc, as I don't feel I am working to my full ability in jobs like that. Not to take anything away from the people who work them jobs, as they are still very much in demand, but I know I can accomplish more in life than just a trade job. That sounds demeaning towards trade jobs, but it's not meant like that! It's just hard to explain.
Reply 9
Original post by joey11223
x

The guy didn't say he wanted to study zoology, he said that he wished to "become a zoologist" (exact phrasing). To my mind, that conjures up the specific job of being a bench scientist (within zoology), which is a very narrow field. If someone says they want to "become a chemist" I would assume that they want to be bench scientist in chemistry, not just that they wanted to work with chemicals generally.

Of course a zoology degree is relevant for several jobs, and there are many jobs within the animal field - but the phrase "become a zoologist" refers to a very specific job, which is what I took it mean.
(edited 11 years ago)
Yeah I did mention I had a job working as a building assistant with a friend of the family. It's not my ideal job, but it's something I took because I needed work and money. I work hard in the job for the money I get, but it's not something I want to do for the rest of my life. I've never been overly interested in trade jobs, e.g. Building, plumbing, electricians etc, as I don't feel I am working to my full ability in jobs like that. Not to take anything away from the people who work them jobs, as they are still very much in demand, but I know I can accomplish more in life than just a trade job. That sounds demeaning towards trade jobs, but it's not meant like that! It's just hard to explain.

My apologies. I did read your whole post, I just forgot you mentioned that.
No I don't think it's demeaning at all. If you believe you can accomplish more, then go for it.
If you are ready to reconsider perhaps going to uni, it's probably your best bet. The only alternative is to start off in a company at the bottom and work your way up, unless you have contacts and / or get lucky.
Reply 11
Okay guys, I know I said I was "thinking" about Zoology as a career, but the problem is the long study years. I am 24 years old this August, and I now have to pay for an access course as I have already been to College and studied at level 3. So I have to pay for an access course, then another 3 - 4 years at University. And like I said, I'm not sure If I'm cut out for any more education. If Degrees weren't so long, I wouldn't mind, but there's too many distractions and breaks with being a student. I like being surrounded by likeminded people who want to study too.
Reply 12
Original post by SweetsAndSugar
My apologies. I did read your whole post, I just forgot you mentioned that.
No I don't think it's demeaning at all. If you believe you can accomplish more, then go for it.
If you are ready to reconsider perhaps going to uni, it's probably your best bet. The only alternative is to start off in a company at the bottom and work your way up, unless you have contacts and / or get lucky.

Or just win the lottery, then I won't need to worry lol. After all, we all want a career for better money, so having all the money you'll ever need would be perfect answer to it all. But seriously, I look at my age and think to myself "I'm almost 24, time I graduate from Uni I will be nearly 29!" and most people by that age have a solid career, buying a home, starting a family etc. Taking into consideration an access course (1 year), then 3 - 4 years for a degree, it would work out around 29, maybe 30 by the time I graduated. It's depressing that I'm getting older! haha. Wish I could just stay 18! or at least rewind the clock and start over...But not so easy eh! lol.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Ok so you're not longer interested in sports science, you don't want music or boxing as a career nd you want to do more than a trade... So you've worked out what you don't want which is a help!
Try and work out what you do want... write down a list of things you need from a job and it might help point you in a direction :smile:
Reply 14
First of all, I really appreciate for anyone taking their time to read this and reply.

Basically, I'm 23 (Almost 24) years old and I haven't got any idea of where I want to be in life. I don't have a career panned out, unlike many people my age. I am really struggling to figure out a career path. It is slightly depressing, even though I put on a brave face. I am good at boxing, but I don't think I want to turn pro in the sport, just because I care for my health too much.

Apart from this, I don't really have a huge amount of interests. I like Music, and I can sing well, but I don't want the fame that comes with being a musician. I know it sounds weird, being a boxer who can sing, but I guess I am fortunate to have a good singing voice too.

I like Exotic animals, and I have thought about going back to education to become a Zoologist. But I don't really feel education is for me to be honest. I understand education is important, and it gives you more opportunity for a better career, but if I have no desire for education any more, I don't see the point in putting myself through it.

I never went to University, but when I was 18 I started college, an age when most students are finishing college. I started on a foundation course because my GCSEs were bad, and from that I went onto a normal 2 year course. So all together, I spent 3 years in college and left when I was 21.

I studied Sport Science, but now It's a subject I'm not interested in any more. I realise it was now a waste of 3 years, which could of gone into something more worthwhile, but at the time it was an interest of mine. Don't get me wrong, I still love sport, BUT It's just not something I want to have a career in.

I currently work as a Building Assistant for a friend of the family, the money is average for the work I do. I do work hard, but it's not something I want for the rest of my life. To be honest, I'm not interested in building or trades, I just took this job because it was offered to me, and I needed work at the time. But now I realise I need to start my own career somehow, but I'm not sure how or what!

I wouldn't mind opening my own business in Sports Nutrition, but again, that requires lots of money to start the business. And I also have no idea about business! So I would be like a small fish in a massive pond! lol.

Anyway, sorry to keep rambling, but I really am a bit frustrated and slightly depressed about this.

Any helpful advice you can offer?

Thanks!

You could work as an intern somewhere? You could set up your own business (which is really difficult) but might suit you and you've said you'd like to. Just play your strengths and do what you really enjoy and work hard. The latter is important. Just get some formal education at the open university because it should give you the skillset.
Reply 15
Original post by AkDo
You could work as an intern somewhere? You could set up your own business (which is really difficult) but might suit you and you've said you'd like to. Just play your strengths and do what you really enjoy and work hard. The latter is important. Just get some formal education at the open university because it should give you the skillset.

I hear people talk about the open university, but how does it work? Because the other reason I never considered Uni, is because of the fees.
Reply 16
I am good at boxing, but I don't think I want to turn pro in the sport, just because I care for my health too much.

I like Music, and I can sing well, but I don't want the fame that comes with being a musician.

I'm loving the confidence :borat:

Quick Reply