The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8060
Original post by myyrh
No because you would still need a minimum of AAA in the required subjects.

How about AAAC ?

A*A*A* = 420 points

AAAC = 460 points
Reply 8061
Original post by Vulpes
How about AAAC ?

A*A*A* = 420 points

AAAC = 460 points

yep the AAAC would score higher :smile:
Reply 8062
Original post by myyrh
yep the AAAC would score higher :smile:

Haha i should have applied to Barts :smile:
Got 5A 4B and a C(Maths) at GCSE
in my first as exams I got B and a U
I have 5 exams coming up one being the U resit and I have been getting all A's in past papers and I take 3AS's chem,bio and psychology

Do I have a chance with medicine my first choice is Sheffield
No

You needed 6+ A or A*'s at GCSE innit
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8066
After having a quick look at the wiki it would appear you wouldn't be able to apply for Sheffield as they require at least 6 As at GCSE.
However, there should be some medical schools you can apply to so take a look to see which ones you meet the criteria for: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine
Would of liked a reply rather then look through a huge thread
Reply 8068
Original post by Brainsandgains
Would of liked a reply rather then look through a huge thread

The link in my previous post should be everything you need for now.
Reply 8070
Yeah I know it doesn't have to be at a hospital but everything else I try to get like care homes hospices etc all require being 18+ :/...
Original post by Domxmb
Yeah I know it doesn't have to be at a hospital but everything else I try to get like care homes hospices etc all require being 18+ :/...

My work experience was minimal (I tried for ages, but just struggled to secure anything longer than a few days)

But I made the most of the experience I did get - my reflection certainly helped. It's honestly quality over quantity.
Reply 8072
Sorry for another one of these posts but my school is giving me mixed opinions as to whether or not I stand a chance going into medicine. I am a GCSE student about to take my exams, so the grades below are my predicted grades.

Maths linear 1:A*
Maths linear 2:A*
English Lang/lit:A
English Lit:A*
Biology:A*
Chemistry:A*
Physics:A*
French:A*
Art:A/B
Electronics:A
Geography:A*

Any responses will be greatly appreciated.
Reply 8073
Original post by Aquar
Sorry for another one of these posts but my school is giving me mixed opinions as to whether or not I stand a chance going into medicine. I am a GCSE student about to take my exams, so the grades below are my predicted grades.

Maths linear 1:A*
Maths linear 2:A*
English Lang/lit:A
English Lit:A*
Biology:A*
Chemistry:A*
Physics:A*
French:A*
Art:A/B
Electronics:A
Geography:A*

Any responses will be greatly appreciated.

Honestly they're absolutely fine for medicine, why is your school giving you mixed opinions ? :confused:
Hi guys,

I'm a Singaporean with the following results

Dear Sir/Mdm,

I have just completed my GCE A Levels in Singapore in 2011 with the following results:

H2 Biology*- A
H2 Chemistry -*A
H2 Mathematics -*B
H1 Economics - A
H1 Project Work - A
H1 General Paper - C
H3 Pharmaceutical Chemistry - Merit

H1 - AS Level equivalent*
H2 - A level equivalent
H3 - University Standard Examination (http://www.seab.gov.sg/aLevel/2013Syllabus/9812_2013.pdf)
* * * *(Only offered to*candidates*with high*proficiency*in H2 Chemistry)

I had previously taken GCE O Levels in 2009 with the following results:
English Language - B4
Physics - A2
Chemistry - A2
Biology - A2
Elementary Mathematics - A1
Additional Mathematics - A2
Combined Humanities (Geography) - A1

The highest grade attainable for the Singaporean A levels is an A and not an A* which i see repeatedly online with regards to the UK A levels.

So basically, could I get a 5 year Med school Course in UK or would I have to end up taking a foundation year?

Thanks.
Reply 8075
Instead of all of you quoting the wiki, it might be better to quote the actual Sheffield page:

GCSE requirements

You must have GCSE passes, or their equivalent, at grade C or above in Mathematics, English and the Sciences (which may be dual awards). You should have at least six A grades in GCSE subjects.

http://shef.ac.uk/medicine/prospective_ug/applying/entryrequire
Reply 8076
Original post by fallenangel
My work experience was minimal (I tried for ages, but just struggled to secure anything longer than a few days)

But I made the most of the experience I did get - my reflection certainly helped. It's honestly quality over quantity.

Yeah that's why I'm sort of happy I get to see a lot of different departments ad I'll bring a notepad and write everything vaguely useful down on it.
Reply 8077
Original post by myyrh
Honestly they're absolutely fine for medicine, why is your school giving you mixed opinions ? :confused:

I go to a very high-achieving school, and it's as if they are trying to put people off medicine to ensure that only those who are truly serious go through with it. I'm not really sure, but I've had my head of year say that I don't have a good chance, but the Assistant Head said I should have a chance if I get my predictions.

All my head of year and others keep telling me is if you're not getting 90% or more A*s at GCSE then you're facing a lot of competition and don't have much of a chance.
Reply 8078
Original post by Aquar
I go to a very high-achieving school, and it's as if they are trying to put people off medicine to ensure that only those who are truly serious go through with it. I'm not really sure, but I've had my head of year say that I don't have a good chance, but the Assistant Head said I should have a chance if I get my predictions.

All my head of year and others keep telling me is if you're not getting 90% or more A*s at GCSE then you're facing a lot of competition and don't have much of a chance.

I know what you mean, the head of year in my school also went on preaching about needing 6A*s to stand a chance :rolleyes: In reality plenty get in with far far lower grades at GCSE. It's laughable how little schools actually know when it comes to applying for medicine. The whole 90% A* thing is only really applicable for Oxford with a few other schools requiring high numbers of A*s. The best place for information on entry requirements will always be from the universities themselves, the rest should be taken with a pinch of salt. :smile:
Original post by Aquar

please please please don't listen to this. im in the same situation - at my school there are two girls for instance with straight A*s but no people skills, and many other potential doctors with 5a* and amazing people skills and other attributes and teachers are trying to deter them.
Schools say this as they hope to get you to apply else where, and be almost certain of an offer to result in a higher university success rate, as in reality if 20 people apply for medicine not all are going to get in. I know many people with straight A*s who got rejected and believe its due to their academics solely because they dont seem to get that medicine is also about more then grades.
At the same time I've met people with NO A*s and got in, and infact teachers told them not to apply as they got a B in AS chem, but they still got an offer, so don't take it to heart, and don't give up. Its your future not theirs, and you'll never know until you try :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending