The Student Room Group

AQA Chemistry Unit 5 Jan 2012 past paper and mark scheme?

does anyone have a link/online copy of this paper and mark scheme please?

any help would be much appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by L.Shep
does anyone have a link/online copy of this paper and mark scheme please?

any help would be much appreciated :smile:

Here you go.
Reply 2
Original post by clownfish
Here you go.

Just wondering if you have the same for CHEM4?

Thanks. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by excell
Just wondering if you have the same for CHEM4?

Thanks. :smile:

Sure :smile:
Reply 4
Cheers mate! :smile:
Reply 5
Here you go.

do you have bio unit 5 aqa jan 2012 paper/mark scheme? desp, help please!
Reply 6
Original post by xpolly123x
do you have bio unit 5 aqa jan 2012 paper/mark scheme? desp, help please!

Sorry I don't do biology.
Reply 7
does any one have the physics unit 5 aqa jan 2012 paper?
Reply 8
Do you have one for unit 2 chem jan 2012?? thanks
Reply 9
Original post by Brightbud
Do you have one for unit 2 chem jan 2012?? thanks

Here you go.
Reply 10
Here you go.

Going to ask you to complete the set hehe, any chance of unit 1? :smile:
Original post by Amy-Rose
Going to ask you to complete the set hehe, any chance of unit 1? :smile:

Here you go!

(I'm thinking I should have done Clownfish's super thread of papers :tongue:)
Reply 12
Here you go!

(I'm thinking I should have done Clownfish's super thread of papers :tongue:)

You so should, you're a star! Thanks. :smile:
Reply 13
Hey guys! I'm after some chemistry help for my exam and will be so grateful if anyone could offer me a helping hand!!!

A) {Cr(OH)6}"-3 charge"...add hydrogen peroxide (bubbles of gas and heat produced)...................CrO4 "2-"
State & explain the following
Work out the oxidation state Of chromium in each compound.??
What happened to chromium in terms of Redox in this reaction??

B) Identifying organic solids
What would you use the following to identify?
1cm of sulphuric acid
1 cm potassium dichromate solution
C) Identifying organic solids
Acidified potassium dichromate changes from orange to blue green
*The dichromate ions become chromium (III) ions. Is this oxidation or reduction?
*What happens to the organic compounds in this test?
Which organic compounds containing oxygen do not react with acidified potassium dichromate? Why do they not react?
D) Identifying organic solids
Draw the skeletal formula of three possible isomers of an alcohol containing 6 carbon atoms.
This alcohol cannot be oxidised by acidified potassium dichromate
Original post by *QueenBeee
Hey guys!

A) {Cr(OH)6}"-3 charge"...add hydrogen peroxide (bubbles of gas and heat produced)...................CrO4 "2-"

When we find the oxidation state of elements in a compound containing oxygen, if it is not a peroxide (nor is bonded to fluorine), we take oxygen to be -2, and hydrogen is +1 (unless hydrogen is bonded to a grp 1, 2 or 3 metal), so:

Cr(OH)63- has 6 oxygens = 6x-2 = -12 and six hydrogens = 6 x +1, so 6OH- = -12+6 = -6
The overall charge is -3, so the chromium charge must be the difference between the -6 charge and the net -3, so -3-6 = +3 so the oxidation number of Chromium is +3.

I'll leave you to try and do the other one.

1cm of sulphuric acid

acidified dichromate is an oxidising agent, so what do you know in organic chemistry that can be oxidised?

*The dichromate ions become chromium (III) ions. Is this oxidation or reduction?
Which organic compounds containing oxygen do not react with acidified potassium dichromate? Why do they not react?

The formula of dichromate is Cr2O72-, so work out the oxidation number of chromium in this species and then compare it is chromium (III) ions - has chromium been oxidised (become more positive) or reduced (become more negative)?

As per the earlier question, it is an oxidising agent, so the organic compounds will have been oxidised.

You should know of organic groups that cannot be oxidised. I'll give you one - tertiary alcohol, but there are some others too.

Draw the skeletal formula of three possible isomers of an alcohol containing 6 carbon atoms.

So you need to draw as many isomers as you can, perhaps while you'll getting confident with skeletal you might want to do with normal displayed formulae to help you. To give you a clue, you could have hexan-1-ol, hexan-2-ol etc and also you could have methyl groups coming off smaller chains. Do be careful not to draw the same molecule twice eg hexan-5-ol is the same as hexan-2-ol by symmetry.

Tertiary alcohols cannot be oxidised, so find one of your structures which has the carbon with OH on also attached to three other carbons.
Reply 15

When we find the oxidation state of elements in a compound containing oxygen, if it is not a peroxide (nor is bonded to fluorine), we take oxygen to be -2, and hydrogen is +1 (unless hydrogen is bonded to a grp 1, 2 or 3 metal), so:

Cr(OH)63- has 6 oxygens = 6x-2 = -12 and six hydrogens = 6 x +1, so 6OH- = -12+6 = -6
The overall charge is -3, so the chromium charge must be the difference between the -6 charge and the net -3, so -3-6 = +3 so the oxidation number of Chromium is +3.

I'll leave you to try and do the other one.

1cm of sulphuric acid

acidified dichromate is an oxidising agent, so what do you know in organic chemistry that can be oxidised?

The formula of dichromate is Cr2O72-, so work out the oxidation number of chromium in this species and then compare it is chromium (III) ions - has chromium been oxidised (become more positive) or reduced (become more negative)?

As per the earlier question, it is an oxidising agent, so the organic compounds will have been oxidised.

You should know of organic groups that cannot be oxidised. I'll give you one - tertiary alcohol, but there are some others too.

So you need to draw as many isomers as you can, perhaps while you'll getting confident with skeletal you might want to do with normal displayed formulae to help you. To give you a clue, you could have hexan-1-ol, hexan-2-ol etc and also you could have methyl groups coming off smaller chains. Do be careful not to draw the same molecule twice eg hexan-5-ol is the same as hexan-2-ol by symmetry.

Tertiary alcohols cannot be oxidised, so find one of your structures which has the carbon with OH on also attached to three other carbons.

Pal u have no idea how thankful I am. This has helped me loads, thanks for taking the time and sharing all the info! xxx
Reply 16
hi guys
just wondering if any of you can explain question 8e(i) on the unit 5 chem jan 2012?
the links have already been posted further up
Reply 17
Does anyone know where I can find the Biology unit 4 jan 2012 paper?
Reply 18
Here you go.

Hi, sorry to bother you, but would you happen to have the june 2012 paper and mark scheme for CHEM5? :smile:

Quick Reply