The Student Room Group

Top 10 gadgets for university

what do you think are the best/ most useful gadgets to have for uni? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Alarm clock for the 9 am lectures.
PC/laptop and a phone.... that's pretty much all you need. MP3 player is good if you need music to work too.
Reply 3
You don't really need gadgets, but you do need a laptop that won't break on you (unlike mine!). Get one that you know has lots of positive reviews (and not from PC world). Get a couple of USB sticks. Oh and a good student bank account, if that can count as a gadget :tongue:
Reply 4
A really awesome calculator - so that you can pretend you know what you're doing in the maths module.
(edited 11 years ago)

1 good laptop

2 reasonably large memory sticks (4-8GB)

1 external hard drive - to store the masses of movies/tv shows you'll watch in your spare time

1 pair of 2.1 (atleast) speakers - i.e the ones with a sub and two satelite speakers - v. handy for hall parties :biggrin:

1 Phone - any will do, Android preferred

1 iPad - very good for storing PDF books instead of buying them (uni books are a rip-off)

1 Printer - there'll be a day when you thank yourself for buying a printer as you print off the last page of your 3000 word essay 7 minutes before the deadline

1 Swiss army knife w/ bottle opener - every student needs a bottle opener :wink:

1 Shoulder Bag

1 HDMI cable - so you can link your laptop to the communal TV to stream 'match-day' and 'movie night'

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
PS3 for FIFA tourneys
Reply 7
Does instant mash potato count as a gadget?

and...smart phones, laptops AND ipads? There are some rich students on here.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by zara55
MacBook
Iphone
Ipad
Good shoulder bag
Student rail card
Comfortable shoes
Comfortable but nice trainers
Warm winter coat (esp. in Scotland but probably in most of UK!)
Debit card
Credit card

:smile:
Zara

You have a credit card as a student?! I sure hope you have enough money to pay that off as you go along..
Dr.Dre Beats :smile:

Edit: Woooo!!!! Most Negs in the thread ..(Peak.. Not anymore)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Spy camera's are a must. Put one in the kitchen above your allocated cupboard to catch the thieves, and maybe a waterproof one in the shower head if you have any hotties in your halls. Also, alarm clocks are good.
Reply 11
Original post by UnknownPerson

I mentally punch any loser I see wearing them. £300 for headphones? **** off.
Reply 12
No idea why people would buy a laptop and Ipad, it should be Desktop and Ipad.
Original post by UnknownPerson

Oh... the >£250 that have the same sound quality as some £30 headphones? Every student needs those.
Original post by BHS12
You have a credit card as a student?! I sure hope you have enough money to pay that off as you go along..

Some banks like natwest give student credit cards when you open a student account with them. Can be useful at times :tongue: and helps to build your credit score up a bit.
Reply 15
Original post by zara55
MacBook
Iphone
Ipad
phone
Good shoulder bag
Student rail card
Comfortable shoes
Comfortable but nice trainers
Warm winter coat (esp. in Scotland but probably in most of UK!)
Debit card
Credit card

Zara

Hansa
Not in Uni yet, but i'm sure to be taking an extension lead :smile:
Original post by Jhyzone
Alarm clock for the 9 am lectures.

Jimmies = Rustled
A TOASTER TURNED SIDEWAYS FOR FCHEESE ON TOAST

George foreman grill
Will power and a work ethic. I came without one this year and in hindsight, I really should have brought one!

Quick Reply

Latest