The Student Room Group

UK Medical School International Applicants Discussion Megathread 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Crystalline
Hiya! Im sorry if i sound so noob. But did you have to take any admission medical exam UKCAT etc to apply for med school in ireland? I have done some research but Im still not very familiar what has to be done for application to Ireland med sch.

Anyone who is familiar with application to Ireland med schools, please give some advice:colondollar:

Their deadline is already passed- if you were thinking of applying now!
I've heard they are very keen on looking at your As grades+predictions
get me update -I have emailed a few just asking what you are looking for in their application. Well waiting to get some response
Original post by arvin_infinity
Their deadline is already passed- if you were thinking of applying now!
I've heard they are very keen on looking at your As grades+predictions
get me update -I have emailed a few just asking what you are looking for in their application. Well waiting to get some response

oh no I am not intending to apply it this year. Just finding out more information atm. Oh please keep me update whether ps,teacher reference etc are needed.

Many thanks!
Hi, I've applied for medicine and torn between Liverpool and Manchester uni as my firm choice. Your help/advice is really appreciated.
Reply 983
Original post by Happymelon
Will you be going to Glasgow??

Most likely. In 2013 though. You?
Reply 984
Original post by HishamG
Hi, ukmed108. Thanks for your reply. When did you get the offer? Thanks in advance.

Hi, I got my offer somewhere between March 20th-28th. I did take the UKCAT to apply to UK medical schools but they are not needed for the Irish schools. I did take the SAT and SAT Subject Tests (not mandatory for Canadians) which I sent through the Atlantic bridge program however.
Reply 985
Original post by Sun & Sea
Hi, I've applied for medicine and torn between Liverpool and Manchester uni as my firm choice. Your help/advice is really appreciated.

Well, there is a thread called "Pros/Cons of Your Medical School", and it's probably a very good place to start.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=812998
Original post by llamelvin
Most likely. In 2013 though. You?

Cool :smile: If I'm going, it will be this year. It's really expensive though! Do you have other choices??
Reply 987
Original post by Happymelon
Cool :smile: If I'm going, it will be this year. It's really expensive though! Do you have other choices??

It's between Newcastle and Glasgow for me.
Plus any local med schools if I get an interview. (rejected last year)
It's between Newcastle and Glasgow for me.
Plus any local med schools if I get an interview. (rejected last year)

Hello llamelvin I'll be going to Newcastle this Sept :smile: Hope you'll be my junior hahah! All the best for NUS/NTU as well :smile:
Reply 989
Original post by Metastasis
Hello llamelvin I'll be going to Newcastle this Sept :smile: Hope you'll be my junior hahah! All the best for NUS/NTU as well :smile:

I'd probably be heading to Glasgow next year if my plans for NUS/NTU falls through. NUS didn't offer me a second interview this year, so study for the BMAT/IELTs I must. Btw, how'd your IELTs go?
I'd probably be heading to Glasgow next year if my plans for NUS/NTU falls through. NUS didn't offer me a second interview this year, so study for the BMAT/IELTs I must. Btw, how'd your IELTs go?

I haven't taken it yet. They're still debating on whether Singaporean students need to take it or not... Till then, lol. All the best for NTU!
Reply 991
Hi, everyone

Hope everyone's exams are going well. :smile: Since there are many Americans/Canadians here, I would like to ask you for some advice on two matters:

1- I didn't get any medical offers in the UK, but I did get two offers for medical sciences at Edinburgh (B100) and Newcastle (B902). I was wondering which of the two unis you would recommend. (PS. I might go to Irish unis if I get offers from my last two possible choices for medicine instead, but for now I'm just relying on the medical sciences in the UK.)

2- For American students who studied in a country like, say, the UAE, and finished their degree and did their internship year (Like the foundation years in the UK, I suppose) and they want to do their residency in the UK, how does it go? What do they need, how long does it take and what routes are there to do it, as I know there are several routes to a specialization?

Thank you for your time and effort :biggrin: .

Regards,
Hisham.
Reply 992
Original post by HishamG
Hi, everyone

Hope everyone's exams are going well. :smile: Since there are many Americans/Canadians here, I would like to ask you for some advice on two matters:

1- I didn't get any medical offers in the UK, but I did get two offers for medical sciences at Edinburgh (B100) and Newcastle (B902). I was wondering which of the two unis you would recommend. (PS. I might go to Irish unis if I get offers from my last two possible choices for medicine instead, but for now I'm just relying on the medical sciences in the UK.)

2- For American students who studied in a country like, say, the UAE, and finished their degree and did their internship year (Like the foundation years in the UK, I suppose) and they want to do their residency in the UK, how does it go? What do they need, how long does it take and what routes are there to do it, as I know there are several routes to a specialization?

Regards,
Hisham.

1. If you are an American/Canadian, I would actually take a gap year and try to upgrade your marks and add more work experience to your application and try again to apply this year. I say this because doing a BSc in UK and moving on to GEM route isn't that great of an idea for the sheer amount of money you are going to spend and also the fact most GEM courses in UK are for home students only. Rather do a BSc in Canada/US because that still leaves you open to medical schools in UK while leaving you open to do medical school in Canada/US. Now if you get into Irish schools, thats a different, it would be wise to go that route.
2. Not too sure about this.
Original post by Roobz
Has anyone applied to Oxbridge for medicine? I'm an international student thinking of applying to Cambridge but i'm not sure about their quota for international students- ithink its something like 14/15 places every year which is quite low. SO has anyone applied to oxford or cambridge and got any offers or interview? :smile:
Thanks

I know this is super late in answering your question, but I have an offer from Cambridge for this fall. You're right that they don't take a lot of international students - I still have sneaking suspicions that they're going to send me an email telling me it's all been a hilarious joke. (In my mind, said email will include a trollface.)

Is there something in particular you wanted to ask?
Original post by HishamG
Hi, everyone

Regards,
Hisham.

No comment on 1.

2. No foreign nationals trained outside the UK can do their residency/specializations in the UK. Period.
Original post by teamnoether
I know this is super late in answering your question, but I have an offer from Cambridge for this fall. You're right that they don't take a lot of international students - I still have sneaking suspicions that they're going to send me an email telling me it's all been a hilarious joke. (In my mind, said email will include a trollface.)

They take twenty something odd every year - about the same as many other schools.

Just saying.
Reply 996

Oh, hello. Congrats on getting an offer, I guess its pretty competitive out there. Umm what sort of grades/bmat scores did you have? Do you mind me asking which country u're from? cuz their fees for medicine for international students is really high (+£30K) so how are u planning to afford that? Have u got a scholarship or something? Also, is the admission procedure any different for international students than local students (i'm not sure if u'd know this- i live in the uk so everyone around me talks about admission procedure for local students :frown: I dont know how to put this but would they consider anything different for international students? also i've heard that for medicine u need an average of at least 95% in your UMS' in top/main 3 subjects, is that something they consider for international students as well? and finally how did u find the whole procedure, especially the interview and personal statement?
Um sorry thats a lot of questions :colondollar:, i guess this whole oxbridge idea is just freaking me out :/
but THANKS a lot for replying! :smile:
Original post by Roobz
Oh, hello. Congrats on getting an offer, I guess its pretty competitive out there. Umm what sort of grades/bmat scores did you have? Do you mind me asking which country u're from? cuz their fees for medicine for international students is really high (+£30K) so how are u planning to afford that? Have u got a scholarship or something?

Many questions! :smile: I'll do my best.

I'm from the US, so I took SATs, AP exams and also the BMAT. I scored 2400 on my SAT I; I took six SAT subject tests (biology, chemistry, physics, math level II, literature, and French) and got five 800s plus a 790 on French (stupid French). I got 5s on all my APs: chemistry, physics C (mechanics and electromagnetism), calculus BC, and English literature. I didn't do as well on my BMAT (7.2, 7.5, 5A), but it was good enough for an offer so I'm not complaining.

You're right that Cambridge is super, super expensive, but the Cambridge Trusts gave me some money, as did my college. All the same, I'm taking out massive loans and planning on being in debt until I die. (Actually, are your debts forgiven when you die? I feel like they aren't... so maybe I'll pass my debt on to future generations? How generous of me.)

Original post by Roobz
Also, is the admission procedure any different for international students than local students (i'm not sure if u'd know this- i live in the uk so everyone around me talks about admission procedure for local students :frown: I dont know how to put this but would they consider anything different for international students?

I'm not aware of any significant differences in terms of the admission procedure, except more obvious things like they might expect exams from your home country. One thing you do have to complete as an overseas student is the COPA (Cambridge Online Preliminary Application), but I have the impression that home students have to fill out very similar forms under a slightly different name. Other than that... as far as I know my application was basically the same as everyone else's: I took exams, got some work experience, suckered someone into being my referee, wrote my personal statement, submitted my application by October 15, went for an interview in January, and then waited.

Original post by Roobz
also i've heard that for medicine u need an average of at least 95% in your UMS' in top/main 3 subjects, is that something they consider for international students as well? and finally how did u find the whole procedure, especially the interview and personal statement?
Um sorry thats a lot of questions :colondollar:, i guess this whole oxbridge idea is just freaking me out :/
but THANKS a lot for replying! :smile:

I'm afraid I really don't know anything about UMS because I don't have any experience with A levels. Sorry. Maybe someone wiser than myself can help you answer that question?

It's easy for me to say this given my current position, but I had a really positive experience with the application procedure. I said some really stupid things in my interview (that still eat me up, to be honest), but all the same I had a great time visiting Cambridge. My interviewers were very friendly, as were the other applicants, and of course Cambridge is absolutely beautiful. I did get some outside advice on my personal statement because it's very different from the kinds of essays American universities expect, but it wasn't too difficult. I really appreciated that they only required one essay (plus the COPA); in the US, students can apply to an unlimited number of universities, and most schools expect at least one additional essay (something about why that particular school is the most special snowflake of all).

Hope that answers your questions, but feel free to ask for clarification if not (or to ask others). :smile:
Original post by Roobz
x

Just to help out a bit (I applied, got pooled, then got rejected :frown: meh. King's it is for me :biggrin: ):

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/section2/2_6.html
Scroll down to "Overseas Students"

If I may make a recommendation, applying to Group II may help. There is one more place available for overseas students in group II than in Group one (for the explanation, read through the paragraph)

Basically speaking, you will be considered with other applicants within your own group. Only during pooling will you be compared across all other groups. So your college choice won't really matter as much as your Group choice will.

Just throwing my two cents out there. :smile:
Reply 999
x

wow u got some really good scores there!
Oh God, i dont wanna get in any sort of debt! but anyway I'm sure i'll find a way out.
Thanks for that! :smile: I'll go to Cambridge open day and hopefully they'll have some kind of guidance thing there for international students!
Good Luck at Cambridge then, i'm sure u'll enjoy it! :smile:

Quick Reply