The Student Room Group

Are GCSE's easy

Every time I start to stress about GCSE's someone in a level always tells me that I've got it good and that it's so easy and that it's nothing.. So are GCSE's easy am I approaching it wrong should I be looking at it as if it's easy ? By panicking and thinking it's hard am I not doing myself any favours ? I just don't get it. :confused:

Scroll to see replies

at the time, no

looking back...hell yes!
Reply 2
how longs a piece of string?
Original post by viksta1000
at the time, no

looking back...hell yes!

Surely its the other way around?
Original post by Zyyz
how longs a piece of string?

twice as long as half its length! :biggrin:
Original post by milienhaus
Surely its the other way around?

nope
Very subjective question.
Personally, I would have to say 'yes'
BUT that does not mean that others would say the same.
Reply 8
No no no
At the time I hated them and really didn't like them and thought they were hard.

But looking back they must have been incredibly easy because I managed with half an hour revision before each exam on the morning of the exam and got straight A*s. Definitely couldn't do that at A level!
Reply 10
at the time, no

looking back...hell yes!

I've heard exactly this ^

I am finishing my GCSEs at the moment and as I have failed to gain straight A*s I would say no (for me)
Reply 11
GCSE's are easier than qualifications that proceed them, but harder than qualifications that they themselves proceed.

But as everyone else has said, the matter is subjective.
Reply 12
twice as long as half its length! :biggrin:

Good answer :tongue:
Reply 13
No, they are still hard. But they are nothing compared to A levels
Original post by @chante_Jos
Every time I start to stress about GCSE's someone in a level always tells me that I've got it good and that it's so easy and that it's nothing.. So are GCSE's easy am I approaching it wrong should I be looking at it as if it's easy ? By panicking and thinking it's hard am I not doing myself any favours ? I just don't get it. :confused:

I think that they're child's play... but then again that's because I'm a student and I did my GCSEs six years ago. I've got to say though, I certainly didn't think that when I was taking them. I used to think the world would end if I didn't get straight As, and that everything was too hard. I'd cry every time I got a C in Maths, and get wound up every time I got less than an A* in Spanish. And yet I used to look back on the SATs I took when I was 13 and think God, what was I worrying about? SATs were a piece of cake!

You need to take a step back and breathe. You're studying at the level that's right for you, here and now. GCSEs are easy for me, but that's because I've done them before, and so have the A Level students (I'm guessing?!)

It's not that you're not doing yourself any favours by panicking as much as you're going to do yourself favours by judging a mountain's steepness when you're standing a good couple of miles away. You're not there yet. Take it easy, learn the things you need to learn now, approach them in a way that suits you, and stop worrying. :hugs:

And good luck!
Original post by Kitty.Cat
No, they are still hard. But they are nothing compared to A levels University

:wink:
Reply 16
Original post by HollyB_C
I've heard exactly this ^

I am finishing my GCSEs at the moment and as I have failed to gain straight A*s I would say no (for me)

Did you want all A*'s ?!
Reply 17
Original post by @chante_Jos
Did you want all A*'s ?!

No, it's good to aim-high....but remain realistic :biggrin:
Reply 18
I did really badly at GCSE but then went on to do really well at college and Uni. Looking back i realise that GCSE's weren't that hard i just wasn't focussed at all and made a mess of it.

I think the most difficult thing about doing GCSE's is having to study and revise for 7+ subjects simultaneously. I didn't get to choose the optional subjects myself and had to just take what i was given. At A-level and Degree level you can select the subjects you want to do and it's more focussed.

Technically the work i'm doing now is much harder but it's a subject i'm actually really interested in and passionate about which makes it easier.
Original post by acceptingme
At the time I hated them and really didn't like them and thought they were hard.

But looking back they must have been incredibly easy because I managed with half an hour revision before each exam on the morning of the exam and got straight A*s. Definitely couldn't do that at A level!

^same. Okay, not quite half an hour of revision but it was the night before pretty much, with the exception of maths. I didn't put in nearly enough work to get the grades I did, which leaves me with two conclusions; I'm either a genius or GCSEs are easy.
However, one part of A levels I enjoy is fewer subjects, fewer exams, and only subjects you like, which does make it easier XD

Quick Reply

Latest