The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy entry 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ellied
I applied for opal 1 and 2, I figured that wherever I stay therell be some people on longer courses too like nurses ect? I may be wrong though! And I also like to be around lots of people with things going on so went for opal after speaking to some of my sisters friends at leeds met already

And no I can't find a fb group or anything, thought I was literally the only one before in saw you!

I've firmed leeds met too! :smile: and have applied to stay in opal 1/2! so glad there's other people on my course living there :smile:
I applied late ( Current university fault due to getting rid of the 'top up' i was set to start in 2012) for speech and lang therapy... as a result i have been offered a place which is great but really not the uni i want to go to... (always the case!) I have already done a degree and have three years working as a speech and lang assistant, so not overly keen on waiting a further year to apply... Just wondered if anyone knew of speech and lang courses coming into clearing?? Am also on a waiting list at manchester, if anyone can shed on any light on the likelihood of a place from this? Or any advice would be great

Reply 4222
Original post by smarshall93
I've firmed leeds met! :smile: just booked my accommodation!

I think im going to confirm them too! trying to decide on accomodation now!
Original post by lrobz
I think im going to confirm them too! trying to decide on accomodation now!

I chose opal 1/2 :smile: let me know which one you decide!
Reply 4224
Original post by HollyBear
I applied late ( Current university fault due to getting rid of the 'top up' i was set to start in 2012) for speech and lang therapy... as a result i have been offered a place which is great but really not the uni i want to go to... (always the case!) I have already done a degree and have three years working as a speech and lang assistant, so not overly keen on waiting a further year to apply... Just wondered if anyone knew of speech and lang courses coming into clearing?? Am also on a waiting list at manchester, if anyone can shed on any light on the likelihood of a place from this? Or any advice would be great

Hi, I know of at least one girl who got onto the Speech and Language Therapy course at Sheffield Uni this year through clearing.

I know that last year Marjon, Sheffield, Reading and Birmingham City were in Clearing, if very briefly. Just make sure you are on the ball when Clearing opens!
Original post by laureneb10
I just went to check my student finance application and the loan has changed to £3400 something instead of the £2342 we are supposed to get. I rang them up and they said my course (speech therapy and psychology at mmu) is not an NHS course so i don't fall under nhs conditions for the loan and stuff. I was always under the impression that the course was NHS funded, does anyone know if it is or not or had the same problem? Veryyyy annoying!

I'm not sure but you need to ring the uni and find out, especially if you want to apply for HPC registration (which you need to practise as an SLT when you graduate). If your course isn't NHS funded it may not be recognised by the HPC and you may find you're not eligible to work as an SLT.

I would have thought that a course with "speech therapy" in the title would be NHS funded though.

If you search speech and language therapy/speech sciences on the UCAS course search, the ones listed with a little "x" next to them still have places. I think if you reject your offer, you should be able to add a different uni through extra rather than waiting for clearing.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
I know that last year Marjon, Sheffield, Reading and Birmingham City were in Clearing, if very briefly. Just make sure you are on the ball when Clearing opens!

Aw really? That's good news .... As a thought, and I maybe completely deluded, but shouldn all unis have places on all courses ? As surely some of the plasters they offered will become available what with some ppl missing grades and others going with their firm choice?
Original post by riotgrrl
If you search speech and language therapy/speech sciences on the UCAS course search, the ones listed with a little "x" next to them still have places. I think if you reject your offer, you should be able to add a different uni through extra rather than waiting for clearing.

When I found out about my situation which was late march I phoned /emailed all universities offering the course , only 3 (which I applied to) were still accepting applicants ... I presumed that this would still be the case if not worse ? Thank u for your advice tho :smile: xx
Original post by slt
yeah I still went :smile: did you like it?x

Yeah the first section was kinda boring because I felt I'd heard it all before but the second bit was great! How did you find it? x
Original post by dapto1
How was it? I've firmed MMU but haven't been to any open days or visit days.

It was really good- there were a few taster sessions which reminded me why I wanted to do the course! I got a bit frustrated at the beginning with 'why you should choose MMU' but once we actually got down to it it was great :smile:
Original post by laureneb10
I just went to check my student finance application and the loan has changed to £3400 something instead of the £2342 we are supposed to get. I rang them up and they said my course (speech therapy and psychology at mmu) is not an NHS course so i don't fall under nhs conditions for the loan and stuff. I was always under the impression that the course was NHS funded, does anyone know if it is or not or had the same problem? Veryyyy annoying!

I got that letter too- i always thought £3400 was too high especially if we were getting a £1000 grant! But what student finance said to you is worrying me... When I spoke to them last month they confirmed that our course was 100% NHS funded. Do they really have to do this at exam time!! STRESS!
When I found out about my situation which was late march I phoned /emailed all universities offering the course , only 3 (which I applied to) were still accepting applicants ... I presumed that this would still be the case if not worse ? Thank u for your advice tho :smile: xx

Birmingham City, City London and UCP Marjon are the ones listed as having spaces, so if they're the three that you applied to then yep, sorry.
Original post by riotgrrl
Birmingham City, City London and UCP Marjon are the ones listed as having spaces, so if they're the three that you applied to then yep, sorry.

Yea two got back to me and London said may have to wait till end of July for decision!!! And tbh although looks very good course there living in London will be astronomical !!! Over 180 week for halls :/ xx

You any idea about a waiting list ? Am on one at Manc xx
Aw really? That's good news .... As a thought, and I maybe completely deluded, but shouldn all unis have places on all courses ? As surely some of the plasters they offered will become available what with some ppl missing grades and others going with their firm choice?

It doesn't work like that, I'm afraid. If we discount students who meet their offers/had unconditional offers/are redoing first year, the universities will then move to people who put that uni as their insurance choice. After these, if they have a reserve/waiting list, which most unis who offer SLT do, then they will go through the people on that list and pick the ones that meet their offer or got as near to their offer as possible, depending on whether some only just missed out and how many places remain empty. Only then if they still have places left after checking all those avenues will they then consider people through Clearing, and even then it's only usually people who meet the typical offer or are only one or two grades below that. Most people just try everywhere offering the course, as some unis are more lenient about grade differences than others, but it's not always a good idea to jump straight into contacting high offer unis who won't even consider you if you could be missing out on a place at a lower offer uni in the same space of time.

Hope that helps. :smile:
Original post by PhoenixFortune
It doesn't work like that, I'm afraid. If we discount students who meet their offers/had unconditional offers/are redoing first year, the universities will then move to people who put that uni as their insurance choice. After these, if they have a reserve/waiting list, which most unis who offer SLT do, then they will go through the people on that list and pick the ones that meet their offer or got as near to their offer as possible, depending on whether some only just missed out and how many places remain empty. Only then if they still have places left after checking all those avenues will they then consider people through Clearing, and even then it's only usually people who meet the typical offer or are only one or two grades below that. Most people just try everywhere offering the course, as some unis are more lenient about grade differences than others, but it's not always a good idea to jump straight into contacting high offer unis who won't even consider you if you could be missing out on a place at a lower offer uni in the same space of time.

Hope that helps. :smile:

Aw that's great info , answered a lot of questions!! So do you think because I got my degree and 320 ucas points already and my exp of working as s&l assistant I may be considered from waiting list if places become available or may have good chance at clearing ? the only thing is to go thru clearing I would have to decline any current offers before clearing vacancies came about, kinda risky ? Ooo it so hard :frown:

But thank u so much for all ur advice x
Reply 4237
Aw that's great info , answered a lot of questions!! So do you think because I got my degree and 320 ucas points already and my exp of working as s&l assistant I may be considered from waiting list if places become available or may have good chance at clearing ? the only thing is to go thru clearing I would have to decline any current offers before clearing vacancies came about, kinda risky ? Ooo it so hard :frown:

But thank u so much for all ur advice x

Why don't you phone the admissions tutors for the course directly now. A friend that was on my course did this - she didn't even apply through UCAS and got offered a place cutting out the middle man so to speak.
Original post by MadzieMoo
I got that letter too- i always thought £3400 was too high especially if we were getting a £1000 grant! But what student finance said to you is worrying me... When I spoke to them last month they confirmed that our course was 100% NHS funded. Do they really have to do this at exam time!! STRESS!

I know I don't really understand why they are saying it doesn't fall under NHS courses, i emailed MMU and they said the course is 100% funded for by the nhs and that they were going to contact them for me so hopefully it will be sorted out soon. Even more annoying that student finance have waited 2 months to tell me this, and now I only have a couple of weeks to sort it out and get it in by the deadline haha!
Original post by shelly1
Why don't you phone the admissions tutors for the course directly now. A friend that was on my course did this - she didn't even apply through UCAS and got offered a place cutting out the middle man so to speak.

I did try this initially at first as felt the tutors may be able to understand my unfortunate position but recognise my exp and want to do the degree but found I was getting through to people at say admission central who weren't interested and would just explain they were full... After this I emailed all UNis, explaining my situation etc with the hope it may get to the right person .. I had two useful replies ( Cardiff and Manc ) others didn't reply and the rest were again a person at admissions...

I agree with what ur saying tho ucas doesn allow for 'real person ' to shine thru. what u think ? Ring all again ? After ppl advice think going to contact them all again anyway and see if they have waiting lists ... Kinda like you saud cutting out middle man . Thank u for ur reply :smile: xxx

Quick Reply

Latest