The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

photo-lrg-b-81.jpg

This number photo is local to where I used to work and I still go by it regularly so had to be today's choice...

And found something interesting on the Parade of Athletes. It says that the University of Florida marching band will be playing the anthems for the US/UK teams during the Parade of Nations.

I've heard quite a few college bands play and they're pretty*fun - although more so when they are marching as they play rather than in the stands and I can't imagine there will really be room in the stadium by that point to do one of the impressive marching formations.

This strikes me as a little odd though. What about those countries in between US/UK- surely all the countries have to have similar treatment to avoid accusations of inequality? I thought we knew the LSO were doing a fair amount of the music? And if we're celebrating Britishness, why such an American tradition? So many questions...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Flakeydom
photo-lrg-b-81.jpg

This number photo is local to where I used to work and I still go by it regularly so had to be today's choice...

And found something interesting on the Parade of Athletes. It says that the University of Florida marching band will be playing the anthems for the US/UK teams during the Parade of Nations.

I've heard quite a few college bands play and they're pretty*fun - although more so when they are marching as they play rather than in the stands and I can't imagine there will really be room in the stadium by that point to do one of the impressive marching formations.

This strikes me as a little odd though. What about those countries in between US/UK- surely all the countries have to have similar treatment to avoid accusations of inequality? I thought we knew the LSO were doing a fair amount of the music? And if we're celebrating Britishness, why such an American tradition? So many questions...

Couldn't agree more - American band playing the National Anthem - eh?
Reply 7662
photo-lrg-b-81.jpg

This could be another one of those awful cons??? It does not make sense at all given that its a British games and usually the music played is consistent for all!?
When I first started reading, I thought it was possibly to do the welcoming ceremonies but then it specifically mentioned the Parade of Athletes. :confused:

There was a marching band at the stadium on Saturday night though so perhaps it is true. Their 'sound' got entirely swallowed up in the bowl though.
Reply 7664
When I first started reading, I thought it was possibly to do the welcoming ceremonies but then it specifically mentioned the Parade of Athletes. :confused:

There was a marching band at the stadium on Saturday night though so perhaps it is true. Their 'sound' got entirely swallowed up in the bowl though.

yes, but surely we have fab bands here???

It's more than just a little odd. Firstly, we know that there won't be any live music in the opening ceremony, and secondly, no "Olympic Entertainment Committee" is involved in the Ceremonies. They might entertain crowds in the Olympic Park, but I strongly doubt they will feature in the Opening Ceremony, that's most likely just an invention by an overzealous reporter - the story is replicated in some other outlets without any mention of the Ceremony.
Reply 7666
Original post by commonliner
Congrats, Pinnerite. Good to meet you and Adelie, even if just for a moment.

We were sitting with the injured players from the German and Australian squads and tried not to cheer at the wrong time to hide our lack of hockey expertise. Very interesting experience.

The park is really nice, great legacy for the local community.
Sifting through 400+ photos now...

Well done as well Pinnerite for the tap festival cup. You will have to give us a demonstration some time ! Sorry to miss you at the hockey, but good to see you Commonliner and also your friend. My daughter said to me that you were both very nice !

We very much enjoyed the hockey, particularly impressed with the Germany /Australia teams but the British team did OK too. The only downer was the massive queues to get a hot drink in the interval between games, but I guess the balance was a bit skewed due to the weather, the cold drinks sellers were looking a little desperate for business ! The hockey stadium is well laid out with good visibility, and as Pinnerite said there were lots of smiles and friendly greetings from the LOCOG badged helpers, and the foot traffic flowed pretty smoothly through the park.

We saw Commonliner going up to some seats in the same stand as us, but I resisted the temptation to shout 'Hey Commonliner !' at the top of my voice over a dozen or so rows of seats, so it was nice to bump into eachother later at the interval.

Hope everyone is enjoying the bank holiday ! (I have to work today :frown:). Are there any Bank Hol rehearsals or have you all been given a breather today ?
Original post by commonliner
It's more than just a little odd. Firstly, we know that there won't be any live music in the opening ceremony, and secondly, no "Olympic Entertainment Committee" is involved in the Ceremonies. They might entertain crowds in the Olympic Park, but I strongly doubt they will feature in the Opening Ceremony, that's most likely just an invention by an overzealous reporter - the story is replicated in some other outlets without any mention of the Ceremony.

On their website raising funds for the trip (there's a link in the article) there's no mention of the opening ceremony - it's much more general - it just says: "Hello everyone! As everyone has probably heard, the Gator Band is going to London this summer because we were invited to play at Olympic venues all over London. "

I saw some children performer volunteers yesterday, all in their numbered bibs - so cute.
Hey all

Havent posted on here for a while, however have been lurking in the shadows reading everyones updates. I have my first rehearsal on thursday- cant wait although im very nervous. No idea what to expect! I was wondering if anyone else is in section 70A? Have only spoken with one person, seems like a small group!?! Also, those of you who have rehearsed already, have you ha many changes to your rehearsal schedule as im a bit concerned that they are going to dramatically change the dates or add in a ton more and i will not be able to get the time off etc?

Well congrats to all that have finally heard and keep your chins up to those who are still waiting to hear.

xx
Reply 7669
Yay, Just got my offer....Paralympic Opening AND closing :smile: At last!!.It's been a long wait since I Auditioned on 22Feb. I'm in 90b :smile:
Congratulations Sambalaz :biggrin:

Go Cast Coordinators working on the Bank Holiday!!:cyber:

(not much else to do I suppose as it's still raining - well it is here in very soggy Sussex) :titan:
Original post by adelie27
Sorry to miss you at the hockey, but good to see you Commonliner and also your friend. My daughter said to me that you were both very nice !

Aw, thanks! I must say you've really done your Olympic duty - your daughter seemed to be totally into hockey!

In hindsight, I should have waved you up to where we were sitting, as your daughter could have met a few Team GB players who were watching the final from a few rows in front of us. Sorry, I feel really bad now, my on-the-spot thinking is just rubbish. But I can send you a decidedly unflattering close-up of Team GB's Nick Catlin...

Original post by adelie27
We saw Commonliner going up to some seats in the same stand as us, but I resisted the temptation to shout 'Hey Commonliner !' at the top of my voice over a dozen or so rows of seats, so it was nice to bump into each other later at the interval.

It would have been more embarrassing for you than for me. :biggrin:
Original post by Sambalaz
Yay, Just got my offer....Paralympic Opening AND closing :smile: At last!!.It's been a long wait since I Auditioned on 22Feb. I'm in 90b :smile:

Yay! Many congrats! Well Done to you. Am still waiting for paralympic auditions:smile:. I am sure i will get positive roles
Reply 7673
Original post by Sambalaz

congratulations, well done, a truly great feeling :congrats:
Reply 7674
Original post by Pinnerite
One overriding impression I am taking away is how friendly all the volunteer Games Makers have been. Almost without exception they have greeted us with a smile and wished us good night/ asked whether we had had a good day. Very well selected and trained. Well done Games Makers you will do us proud!

That is great to hear about :redface: Gamesmakers! 247K applied 100K interviewed 60K chosen and 20K currently on hold for additional places or drop-outs. Very proud to be a Gamesmaker.
I've found nearly all the Ambassadors I've trained with so far to be very friendly too; plugged-in, open kind of people. Both groups have had to go through over a year and a half process. I lose track of when we initially applied it was so long ago!
Reply 7675
Live streaming from Sadlers Wells today: http://www.breakinconvention.com/ check it out!
Reply 7676
Original post by galactica2009
Yay! Many congrats! Well Done to you. Am still waiting for paralympic auditions:smile:. I am sure i will get positive roles

Thanks everyone, Hope all those still waiting get cast offers very soon :smile:
photo-lrg-b-81.jpg

I think I may be able to clear up the mystery on this one folks - relating to something we discovered at our recent Module 2 training as London Ambassadors.

It seems that the "Athlete's Parade" does indeed take place during the opening ceremony of the OLYMPIC GAMES (and will therefore take place as we expect in the Olympic Stadium on 27th July).

However ............... once the PARLAYMPICS closing ceremony has also taken place, the very next day, in Central London, i.e. Trafalgar Square there is planned a "Parade of Athletes" featuring the medal winners (& possibly all who have taken part as competitors plus entourage assuming they are still around by then, certainly all/most of Team GB should be there!). This is referred to as "the Athletes Parade" and this might be what this particular newsworth article was referring too although, admittedly, if they didn't know the difference either then the story may have been reported incorrectly by the journalist concerned.

At our Module 2 LA training we had to place a series of pictures/photos in a timeline as to when they were expected to take place in London 2012 chronologically, starting with arrival of torch in UK I think and then superimpose onto that timeline markers relating to other (regular and non-Olympic related) events running concurrently such as Wimbledon Tennis (June), the Proms (July/Aug), Nottinghill Carnival (Aug bank holiday weekend), Thames Festival (Sept.), etc.

Therefore probably no "scam" going on with the young people concerned this time thankfully (as we feared might be the case when reading this article).

American marching bands regularly take part in the London New Year's day parade around town so are quite used to coming over and playing to crowds of people on our busiest thoroughfares, albeit on places and road normally out of bounds to traffic whilst they do so.
Reply 7678
Original post by cornishscot
I think I may be able to clear up the mystery on this one folks - relating to something we discovered at our recent Module 2 training as London Ambassadors.

It seems that the "Athlete's Parade" does indeed take place during the opening ceremony of the OLYMPIC GAMES (and will therefore take place as we expect in the Olympic Stadium on 27th July).

However ............... once the PARLAYMPICS closing ceremony has also taken place, the very next day, in Central London, i.e. Trafalgar Square there is planned a "Parade of Athletes" featuring the medal winners (& possibly all who have taken part as competitors plus entourage assuming they are still around by then, certainly all/most of Team GB should be there!). This is referred to as "the Athletes Parade" and this might be what this particular newsworth article was referring too although, admittedly, if they didn't know the difference either then the story may have been reported incorrectly by the journalist concerned.

At our Module 2 LA training we had to place a series of pictures/photos in a timeline as to when they were expected to take place in London 2012 chronologically, starting with arrival of torch in UK I think and then superimpose onto that timeline markers relating to other (regular and non-Olympic related) events running concurrently such as Wimbledon Tennis (June), the Proms (July/Aug), Nottinghill Carnival (Aug bank holiday weekend), Thames Festival (Sept.), etc.

Therefore probably no "scam" going on with the young people concerned this time thankfully (as we feared might be the case when reading this article).

American marching bands regularly take part in the London New Year's day parade around town so are quite used to coming over and playing to crowds of people on our busiest thoroughfares, albeit on places and road normally out of bounds to traffic whilst they do so.

well done! that sorts that mystery out then :smile: was driving me mad wondering what was going on!!
Original post by cornishscot

However, having actually READ the news article properly now I see that the dates cited for this particular band being in London coincides with the Olympics Opening Ceremony so maybe they ARE taking part in the ceremony stadium after all and not as I had first suspected/reported above about the other event happening much later.

All will, no doubt, be revealed in due course come July 27th (all I have also READ somewhere else that the LSO have pre-recorded all national anthems for use, presumably but maybe not exclusively, at the medal ceremonies during the Olympics and Paralympics so you have to wonder why they need THIS American marching band to play the National Anthem at the opening ceremony too, unless, of course, they are not planning on using the LSO version then or want it played more than once during the course of the 3 hours - my preferred theory being the first though).

Wonder if other overseas groups will also be taking part in the segments of the opening/closing ceremonies we still know nothing about as yet - quite a strong possibility now that this story has broken I should say.

Oh well, we'll find out soon enough I guess !

Latest