The Student Room Group

2012 Advanced Higher Modern Studies Exam Thread

Realised that there's no main thread for this (correct me if I'm wrong) and I miss the thread we had for higher last year.

So anyway, just a general discussion for those sitting AH Modern Studies this year - exactly a month to go guys! So what topics are you all studying and is there anything in particular that you wish will come up in the exam?

GOOD LUCK!!! :borat:
Just checking in to this. I haven't done nearly enough studying!!
Reply 2
Have you guys handed in your dissertations? What was your hypothesis? I was so glad to finish it and hand it in.
Original post by examination
Realised that there's no main thread for this (correct me if I'm wrong) and I miss the thread we had for higher last year.

So anyway, just a general discussion for those sitting AH Modern Studies this year - exactly a month to go guys! So what topics are you all studying and is there anything in particular that you wish will come up in the exam?

GOOD LUCK!!! :borat:

Original post by beamie
Have you guys handed in your dissertations? What was your hypothesis? I was so glad to finish it and hand it in.

I'm doing Study Theme 2, Law and Order and Research Methods. Within that, context B, the causes and effects of crime in the UK, and context D, penal systems in the UK.
I've just handed in the final draft of my dissertation with the hypothesis, "the trafficking of women is a human rights abuse which cannot be stopped" :smile:
What about you? Have you enjoyed the course?
Reply 4
My hypothesis was "There are no effective alternatives to prison " and I really enjoyed doing it actually. We visited Perth Maximum Security Prison and Glasgow High Court and I just found it so interesting, which was the same with the rest of the course.
Reply 5
Original post by beamie
My hypothesis was "There are no effective alternatives to prison " and I really enjoyed doing it actually. We visited Perth Maximum Security Prison and Glasgow High Court and I just found it so interesting, which was the same with the rest of the course.

Same topic! :smile: My class visited a prison too but I couldn't go because I had a uni interview. I'm scared for Friday!! What do you think will come up in the exam??
Reply 6
Original post by kaaaaayleigh
I'm doing Study Theme 2, Law and Order and Research Methods. Within that, context B, the causes and effects of crime in the UK, and context D, penal systems in the UK.
I've just handed in the final draft of my dissertation with the hypothesis, "the trafficking of women is a human rights abuse which cannot be stopped" :smile:
What about you? Have you enjoyed the course?

My school is doing the same contexts... I'm really hoping that something to do with youth
will come up! Anything but drugs/alcohol and ethnic minorities. And hopefully a nice easy aims of prison question :smile: that would be my perfect paper!

Do you have any idea what will come up???
Reply 7
Same topic! :smile: My class visited a prison too but I couldn't go because I had a uni interview. I'm scared for Friday!! What do you think will come up in the exam??

Oh man, I wouldn't like to say but the only thing I'm hoping for is a good prisons question. Either way, we'll just have to do our best. Good luck!
Reply 8
How did everyone find that?? I hated the research methods but but find the essays ok. Hopefully the research methods doesn't pull me down too much...really need an A!!
How did everyone find that?? I hated the research methods but but find the essays ok. Hopefully the research methods doesn't pull me down too much...really need an A!!

I found it okay too! What study theme did you do? One of the questions in study theme 2, the theories one, surprised me a bit but I think it went well once I started writing :smile:

Edit: I didn't know my phone added that bit at the end of a post, how pretentious of it! lol

Edit again: Oops, didn't realise you already said what study theme you're doing! I'm not good at this! haha

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Galaxy Nexus
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
I thought it was good! Good essay questions and the research methods were alright - you could just ramble on for the first two really.
Reply 11
i do contexts b and d from law and order...thought the questions were pretty decent and didnt actually mind research methods too much either...better than expected :smile:
I found the research methods dreadful. Our teacher went on about how it'll 'definitely be a sampling question.' No sampling question :unimpressed:
The essay questions were fine though :smile: And I think I stumbled through the research ones.
Hi guys, feel like im intruding where are youse all from. Every thread I see it's all Law you do. I do Comparative politics - terrible. It was absolutely dreadful.
Reply 14
Original post by jg2012
Hi guys, feel like im intruding where are youse all from. Every thread I see it's all Law you do. I do Comparative politics - terrible. It was absolutely dreadful.

That does sound horrendous. I live in Fife if that's any help but either way, Law and Order is way easier to revise because it's pretty interesting so I seriously feel for you.
Original post by beamie
That does sound horrendous. I live in Fife if that's any help but either way, Law and Order is way easier to revise because it's pretty interesting so I seriously feel for you.

I live in Fife too!
Original post by beamie

Yeh, my teacher even said that? They didn't have the resources but. Comparative politics is just so all encompassing, it's practically impossible to predict any essays or even know where to start studying:frown: Disappointed this year. How was the Law and Order questions?
Reply 17
Original post by kaaaaayleigh
I live in Fife too!

Yeah! Fife is pretty in some places and not so pretty in others... Did you do Law and Order?

Original post by jg2012
Yeh, my teacher even said that? They didn't have the resources but. Comparative politics is just so all encompassing, it's practically impossible to predict any essays or even know where to start studying:frown: Disappointed this year. How was the Law and Order questions?

I thought they were good actually, I think it's much easier to predict with Law and Order. My teacher said the paper was a gift actually.
Original post by beamie
Yeah! Fife is pretty in some places and not so pretty in others... Did you do Law and Order?

I thought they were good actually, I think it's much easier to predict with Law and Order. My teacher said the paper was a gift actually.

Yep, I did Law and Order, and I agree with the prediction thing!
How did everyone get on?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending