The Student Room Group

Can a university accept me if I get AAA instead of an A*AA offer.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maturestudy
they can't force you to attend if you do not meet the conditions of the offer. At least, this is how I read it when I replied to my offers. If there is something in the small print that contradicts this, I would be particularly interested in seeing it.

You are quite right - they cannot force you to attend. However, what happens when a firmly-accepted offer is confirmed - for any reason - is that the insurance becomes null and void. Not attending the firm involves going to clearing (which could take days to achieve in practice), where the insurance offer may no longer be available, or leaving the system altogether.
Original post by neverloggedin
My Firm - A*AA - CASS Actuarial Science. (Not very competitive as most people go to ucl/lse/imperial/oxbridge with those requirements although Actuarial Science is generally regarded as a competitive subject). CASS gives me a grant if I get A*AA (nothing below it)

My Insurance - AAA - UCL Economics & Statistics. (Very Competitive, so an AAB would not get me a place).

Problem is I want to go to CASS ONLY if I can get a grant. Now I get an AAA, and CASS still offer me a place in their A*AA course - will it automatically reject my insurance or will it show up as a message or something as a change so I can accept either UCL or CASS.

TBH it might have been better to have put UCL as a firm and CASS as insurance. The reason being that if you got A*AA on results day and decided you wanted to go to CASS and obtain the scholarship you might have more luck with phoning CASS and them accepting you on results day (with them being less competitive) than with UCL (who will undoubtedly be heavily oversubscribed). If you have careers advisorr at college or otherwise I think you should ask their advice on this but I suspect a better route for you might be to call UCAS (and UCL and CASS) and reverse your choices so that UCL is your firm and CASS is your insurance as you would have more luck securing a place at CASS on results day if you declined UCL rather than securing a place at UCL on results day if you declined CASS. This would be the least risky strategy in my opinion.

I understand that people who miss the grades frequently get on the course for various reasons. However, on the UCAS website it says
(my emphasis):

"If you accept a conditional offer, you are agreeing that you will attend the course at that university or college if you meet the conditions of the offer. You can accept another offer as an insurance choice."

Now, to my untrained eye, it looks like, whilst they always have the option of allowing you to attend, they can't force you to attend if you do not meet the conditions of the offer. At least, this is how I read it when I replied to my offers. If there is something in the small print that contradicts this, I would be particularly interested in seeing it.

you should be lawyering, mate.
Original post by thetobbit
Why have you only left 1 grade between your firm and insurance choices?

Is there some rule of thumb in your school that one should leave more? Lots of people have insurance offers that have the same requirements as the firm.
Original post by Good bloke
Is there some rule of thumb in your school that one should leave more? Lots of people have insurance offers that have the same requirements as the firm.

heck depending on the course, some people don't even have the luxury of an insurance. I'd have killed for one.......ok I wouldn't have but it would have been nice to at least had to choose between more than one choice than have to accept the choice on the basis of it being my one and only offer.
You are quite right - they cannot force you to attend. However, what happens when a firmly-accepted offer is confirmed - for any reason - is that the insurance becomes null and void. Not attending the firm involves going to clearing (which could take days to achieve in practice), where the insurance offer may no longer be available, or leaving the system altogether.

I see. Could a simple letter to UCAS or the institution requiring that the terms of the agreement be adhered to (to the letter) solve this?
I see. Could a simple letter to UCAS or the institution requiring that the terms of the agreement be adhered to (to the letter) solve this?

No, since (a) time is all-important and (b) the university has discretion to confirm any offer it wishes. In any event we are not dealing with contract law here; we are operating within a process with rules.
Why have you only left 1 grade between your firm and insurance choices?

This isn't really relevant, however I would say that it was because their insurance was actually their favourite and would have been their firm but for the grant. OP doesn't want to go to any other.

Good bloke
x

Thanks for confirming :smile:
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
This is what I've interpreted from your post (please clarify if I've got anything wrong):

- You've put Cass as your firm and UCL as insurance.

-Both universities are asking for grades of AAA.

-However, Cass have stated they would award you scholarship if you achieved at least A*AA in your exams.

-For that reason you put Cass as your first choice.

-However, you feel that if you didn't get A*AA and subsequently missed out on the scholarship/grant, you would instead prefer to go to UCL (who in effect made the exact same offer of AAA).

-Hence, you're asking that if on results day you got AAA, could you withdraw from your offer with Cass and attend UCL instead?

The answer to this is a bit tricky. Obviously Cass and UCL will know the results a few days beforehand to help them allocate places. If you got AAA and kept the choices as they are Cass would confirm your place and in that effect UCL would assume that you are no longer interested in them and you'd effectively "no longer be on their books". They would therefore allocate places in the instance to those who put them down as a fist choice and then anyone who put them as an insurance (who didn't get the grades for their firm offer).

Whilst you are at liberty to contact institutions on results day and ask UCL if they would be willing to consider yoou give the situation I outlined above it could be incredibly tricky as UCL would be under no obligation to accept as you didn't stipulate them as a first choice. It's not impossible or unheard of but could be potentially tricky. Even then there is also the likelihood they may not be able to provide you accommodation as all of this would have been allocated to those who put UCL as a firm and internationals (I had this issue a few years back with a London University).

It might be best if you start making enquiries now although I'd recommend you just focus on yourr exams and get the grades you need. Obviously you'd be in a better bargaining situation with the grades tto hand. One alternative would be to ask UCAS (and the universities) to reverse your choices i.e. put UCL as your firm and Cass as second choice. I'm sure that might be feasible at this point but then obviously you'd be missing out on the potential grant from Cass if you did end up getting at least A*AA and attended UCL instead.

Hope that was helpful.

Thanks very much for your advice. In fact, CASS are asking for an A*AA and UCL are asking for an AAA. My problem is as CASS is not very competitive, they may probably give me an offer when I get AAA on results day but of course, I want to go to UCL if I get AAA. Should I send them an email that if I get AAA, I would like to be released from the course/be offered a foundation course?

Accommodation for me is not a problem as I will be staying at home regardless of what university.

"If you accept a conditional offer, you are agreeing that you will attend the course at that university or college if you meet the conditions of the offer. You can accept another offer as an insurance choice."

Now, to my untrained eye, it looks like, whilst they always have the option of allowing you to attend, they can't force you to attend if you do not meet the conditions of the offer. At least, this is how I read it when I replied to my offers. If there is something in the small print that contradicts this, I would be particularly interested in seeing it.

That's exactly how I read it. So doesn't that mean CASS can't force me to go to an A*AA (conditional offer) course when I only got AAA?

One problem is I have already put CASS as my firm and UCL as my insurance. (As putting UCL firm and then CASS insurance would be kinda wierd - higher offer as my insurance :P

I was under the impression that your insurance was an insurance ie. theres bit of a fallback in case something goes wrong on the exam day, more than 1 grade.

eg. Maybe my insurance is a bit too far of a fall back but still (AAA firm BBB insurance)

Keep in mind though I also have a "mid-range" option in that I've applied to the republic of Ireland as well (UCD History hovers around AAB territory)

My point is --> Firm is what should happen on the day if all goes well
Insurance is to ensure you get in somewhere if things go pearshaped???
I was under the impression that your insurance was an insurance ie. theres bit of a fallback in case something goes wrong on the exam day, more than 1 grade.

It is but the more than one grade clause is your own interpretation. The candidate's confidence in his own likely outcomes is significant. In fact one AAA course may be more flexible than another and be a perfectly good insurance for one that isn't flexible.

That's exactly how I read it. So doesn't that mean CASS can't force me to go to an A*AA (conditional offer) course when I only got AAA?

Re-read my previous posts. They cannot force you to go, but the system gives you few options when a firm offer is confirmed (even if you don't attain the requirement) - and accepting the insurance is not one of them.
Re-read my previous posts. They cannot force you to go, but the system gives you few options when a firm offer is confirmed (even if you don't attain the requirement) - and accepting the insurance is not one of them.

Then should I email CASS to release me/give me a place at their foundation course if I get an AAA?
Yup that's what I meant. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I prefered to go to the insurance choice (UCL) but my firm (CASS) gives me a grant if I get an A*AA. So if I get AAA, I want to go to my insurance choice, not my firm.

I'm assuming you're doing a Business related degree? in which case CASS is better than UCL (as cass is a business school)...unless its economics at UCL

you can try ringing up UCL and ask if you were to get A*AA, would they accept you?
Original post by viksta1000
I'm assuming you're doing a Business related degree? in which case CASS is better than UCL (as cass is a business school)...unless its economics at UCL

you can try ringing up UCL and ask if you were to get A*AA, would they accept you?

CASS - Actuarial Science
UCL - Economics & Statistics

I prefer to go to UCL + They would certainly accept me if I get an A*AA.
Then should I email CASS to release me/give me a place at their foundation course if I get an AAA?

It might be worth trying but, even if they agree (which they needn't), this is fraught with difficulties and disadvantages.

First of all, it depends on someone at CASS remembering not to confirm your offer if you get AAA. They may forget or make a mistake and end up confirming your offer in which case you are back to square one.

A potentially worse situation would be that which could arise if you got AAB. CASS might confirm your offer and you'd get a place as things stand (though without the grant, of course) while UCL are likely to reject you. If you do as you suggest, CASS would reject you as well and you'd lose a valuable, possibly unrepeateable, place with no valid insurance.
No, since (a) time is all-important and (b) the university has discretion to confirm any offer it wishes. In any event we are not dealing with contract law here; we are operating within a process with rules.

Yes, I understand your opinion on the matter but what I was wondering was if you had any evidence to back it up.
Original post by sharp910sh
If you get AAA and you need A*AA you wont get in.

I got an A*AA offer from Warwick, and got in last year with AAB. Just sayin'
Yes, I understand your opinion on the matter but what I was wondering was if you had any evidence to back it up.

Evidence? Of what? That universities confirm offers to candidates that don't get the required grades? Read TSR for that; the place is full of people that get into AAA places with AAB. That time is all-important? Isn't it self-evident that places disappear from clearing extremely quickly? That it could take days to get into clearing? Again, search TSR for example of people that took even longer.
Why do you prefer CASS business school over UCL? Many people would beg to get into UCL, even if you do get a big grant I think you should think long term in employability, reputation and the course all considered.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending