The Student Room Group

Are Ferrari's worth the money?

I can't afford a Ferrari and I doubt I ever will, unless perhaps it's a 1986 Ferrari that someone posted in another thread. Any way, my question is in the title.

The reason I ask, is because I posted this in a different part of TSR, but the person that quoted me was a bit rude, when my question implied I knew nothing about cars. Any way, what I said is here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1992504&page=2&p=37453673#post37453673

And I'm wondering are Ferrari's actually worth the money - if you had it, of course. Was I correct or wrong with my assumption?

Thought I'd post here because I'd guess that the car experts come here

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you're rich enough for the price tag not to really hit you and you're cool enough not to look like you bought one to look cool then hell yes.
I guess ferraris are expensive so that only people who aren't bothered by the price can tag buy it.

Original post by de_monies
The reason I ask, is because I posted this in a different part of TSR, but the person that quoted me was a bit rude, when my question implied I knew nothing about cars.

You get a lot of people on here who would rather make a smart-arse response and get rep than actually help you :cool:
Reply 3
Original post by moonmonkey812
I guess ferraris are expensive so that only people who aren't bothered by the price can tag buy it.

Fair enough, but say a Ferrari cost £100,000 - just for arguments sake. It's an easy number to work with

and they see another car around the 100K range. What would be the better buy?

Original post by moonmonkey812

You get a lot of people on here who would rather make a smart-arse response and get rep than actually help you :cool:

S'pose
Reply 4
Depends what you mean by 'worth it'. There's lots of cars around that are faster, more comfortable etc. but buying something like a Ferrari is not a purely objective decision. You don't pull out the spec sheet to decide whether to buy a 458 or a Mondeo! Realistically you buy a Ferrari either because you want to look at it or be seen in it, or both. Nothing wrong with that but whether it's worth it comes down to the individual. A new M5 would probably outperform and cost less than a Testarossa, but I'd have the fezza anyday :wink:
Reply 5
Ferraris are cars that are bought by people who can appreciate cars.... these aren't cars that you buy because you need transport.

Just like a watch, a Casio does the same thing but a IWC or Rolex also does the same thing but cost many times more.... but I'll take the IWC any time :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by Herr
Ferraris are cars that are bought by people who can appreciate cars.... these aren't cars that you buy because you need transport.

Just like a watch, a Casio does the same thing but a IWC or Rolex also does the same thing but cost many times more.... but I'll take the IWC any time :biggrin:

True, but what I'm getting at is if you had a £100K Ferrari vs a £100K priced [insert brand] car. Would the Ferrari still be "worth" the money

So far, people have told me pretty much as you said but no one's said whether they'd get the Ferrari or a another car, if it was similarly priced. I mean, I'd probably get the Ferrari but I don't really know any thing about cars
Reply 7
"A Ferrari is the girl you take home to your parents, A Lamborghini is the slut you sleep with on the weekends."

"a Ferrari makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, a Lamborghini does it to the hair on your balls!"

"you buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody, you buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody."

"why buy a PRANCING horse when you could buy a RAGING bull"
Reply 8
I'm not sure that's an easy question to answer. You can buy a well built car that will do most of what a Ferrari will do for well under £100k, so if you're looking at spending £100k on a car you've decided that you want more from your car than just basic utility. At that price point you're choosing the car you like best from a prestige manufacturer, so it all comes down to preference - you've already decided it's worth it. Ferraris don't have a particular premium over, say, Lamborghini. But to answer.. if I had £100k to have spend on a car and a Ferrari was my favourite of what's available, sure I'd buy one!
Reply 9
Original post by de_monies
True, but what I'm getting at is if you had a £100K Ferrari vs a £100K priced [insert brand] car. Would the Ferrari still be "worth" the money

So far, people have told me pretty much as you said but no one's said whether they'd get the Ferrari or a another car, if it was similarly priced. I mean, I'd probably get the Ferrari but I don't really know any thing about cars

It's a taste thing. It's hard to objectively categorise stuff, because different people look for different things.
You don't just buy a ferrari because it does what other cars do, you buy a Ferrari to have that history and prestige, to buy into Enzo's dream and feel a car.
It often is simply a display of wealth, move out of the way peasant in your 1L panda I have the funds to purchase a £150,000 car and I want everyone to know it.
Depends how much money is worth to you......

If your loaded maybe...
There are better things to spend that money on. A house for example. Besides, they are very show-off-y.
Reply 13
Yes they are because they are a symbol of wealth
Reply 14
You will have to ask the Ferrari if it owns 'worth the money'.
Rolls Royce. Aston Martin. Bentley. Much better cars, similar prices.

If you can afford these easily, and can afford to by any car, why not get a custom?
(edited 11 years ago)
Does above are less exotic compared to the Ferrari. I personally would purchase a Lamborghini over a Ferrari any day, they are more of a statement.
Reply 18
Well it depends on how you define worth it. No one needs a Ferrari that much is obvious. You don't get one for any sort of functional need (not that I'd know from experience mind you). People buy Ferraris because they have the obscene amount of money required to buy one. They're worth it in that generally speaking they are something exceptional, but not worth it in that functionally speaking you don't need to spend that much money on a car.
Reply 19
And here I was thinking this was going to be about the Ferrari factory accidentally setting their lathe machine which mills and balances the crankshaft for the new 458 and California V8 completely wrong and producing nigh on 300 V8s which could seize at any moment. Then Ferrari saying, eh its not so bad, its only 260 engines! Some great quality control going on there Fezza!

I would have a Nissan R35 GTR and then spend my spare £40k on tasty mods...like bigger turbo chargers and a remap to make a supercar beating family car, an all out weapon.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=25656

Quick Reply

Latest