The Student Room Group

C4 (Not MEI) - Thursday June 21 2012, PM

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Doctor.

For 1. e) use the chain rule, so let u=xu= \sqrt x

dcosxdx=dcosxdu×dudx\frac{dcos \sqrt{x}}{dx}=\frac{dcos \sqrt{x}}{du} \times \frac{du}{dx}

For 3. a) think about two angles which you can subtract to get π12\frac{\pi}{12}, whose sines and coses you know. Then apply the addition formula. Ans:

Spoiler

You can use these same angles in the tan addition formula since you are finding tan of the same angle. (And you should be familiar with tan of the angles used above.)

I've got a way of doing b).
Look at page 204/205.

For 0<θ<π20< \theta< \frac{ \pi}{2}, sinθ<θ<tanθ\sin \theta < \theta < \tan \theta.
In a) we found that

sinπ12<π12<tanπ12\sin \frac{ \pi}{12} < \frac{ \pi}{12} < \tan \frac{ \pi}{12}

or 2(31)4<π12<23\frac{ \sqrt 2(\sqrt 3 -1)}{4} < \frac{ \pi}{12} < 2 - \sqrt 3

Multiplying by 12 yields the result they require.

8. b) Set the derivative form a) to 0 and then expand sin2t using the double angle addition formula. Then factorise and simplify a little.

Set cost and (2sint -1) to zero and solve for t in the required interval.
Other than the solution form a), there are only two others.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by Killjoy-
For 1. e) use the chain rule, so let u=xu= \sqrt x

dcosxdx=dcosxdu×dudx\frac{dcos \sqrt{x}}{dx}=\frac{dcos \sqrt{x}}{du} \times \frac{du}{dx}

For 3. a) think about two angles which you can subtract to get π12\frac{\pi}{12}, whose sines and coses you know. Then apply the addition formula. Ans:

Spoiler

You can use these same angles in the tan addition formula since you are finding tan of the same angle. (And you should be familiar with tan of the angles used above.)

I've got a way of doing b).
Look at page 204/205.

For 0<θ<π20< \theta< \frac{ \pi}{2}, sinθ<θ<tanθ\sin \theta < \theta < \tan \theta.
In a) we found that

sinπ12<π12<tanπ12\sin \frac{ \pi}{12} < \frac{ \pi}{12} < \tan \frac{ \pi}{12}

or 2(31)4<π12<23\frac{ \sqrt 2(\sqrt 3 -1)}{4} < \frac{ \pi}{12} < 2 - \sqrt 3

Multiplying by 12 yields the result they require.

8. b) Set the derivative form a) to 0 and then expand sin2t using the double angle addition formula. Then factorise and simplify a little.

Set cost and (2sint -1) to zero and solve for t in the required interval.
Other than the solution form a), there are only two others.

Thank you for your help! :h:

1(e): I did do that! Although I didn't get the right answer :frown: will try it again, maybe the answer at the back of the book isn't right :angry:

3(a): I didn't understand what addition formula to use lol. I understand when they're talking in Degrees, think Rads just confused me :tongue:

Ah right I see what you mean about the last part, it's pretty much just x12 then? :smile:

8(b): "expand sin2t using the double angle addition formula." - 2sintcost -cost=0

What's the 'addition formula bit? :s-smilie:

We just equate the solutions of the eq in 8b to the dy/dx formula of 8a and do some simplifying and get the values of 't' (int he range needed)?

Thanks for the help, really appreciate it :h: I have quite a few more for later... Will post them all up once I finish the next few misc chapters :biggrin:
Reply 42
Original post by Doctor.
Thank you for your help! :h:

1(e): I did do that! Although I didn't get the right answer :frown: will try it again, maybe the answer at the back of the book isn't right :angry:

Ah right I see what you mean about the last part, it's pretty much just x12 then? :smile:

8(b): "expand sin2t using the double angle addition formula." - 2sintcost -cost=0

What's the 'addition formula bit? :s-smilie:

We just equate the solutions of the eq in 8b to the dy/dx formula of 8a and do some simplifying and get the values of 't' (int he range needed)?

I've got the answer in the back of the book for 1 e).

Yes.

The Double angle formula you need is sin2x=2sinxcosxsin2x=2sinxcosx
Its just a special case of the addition formula with α=β\alpha= \beta

You do
dydx=0=cost(2sint1)\dfrac{dy}{dx}=0=cost(2sint -1)
Reply 43
Need your help again guys, not much this time just Parametrics which tbh, are pretty lovely :love:

Will really appreciate the help guys :biggrin:
Reply 44
I've got the answer in the back of the book for 1 e).

Yes.

The Double angle formula you need is sin2x=2sinxcosxsin2x=2sinxcosx
Its just a special case of the addition formula with α=β\alpha= \beta

You do
dydx=0=cost(2sint1)\dfrac{dy}{dx}=0=cost(2sint -1)

Ahh right I see, that's awesome :smile:
Reply 45
For 2.
Once you find the derivative simplify using the double angle formula for sin (that I showed earlier) and you should end up with 6cost.
What do you know about the values cost can take?

For 7. b)
Alpha is just a particular value for the parameter.
Let t be alpha, then what values do y and x take?
Differentiate the Cartesian eqn with respect to x (Implicit differentiation is required).
Simply sub in your values to find dy/dx.

Now find the eqn of the normal by the usual method.
Reply 46
For 2.
Once you find the derivative simplify using the double angle formula for sin (that I showed earlier) and you should end up with 6cost.
What do you know about the values cost can take?

For 7. b)
Alpha is just a particular value for the parameter.
Let t be alpha, then what values do y and x take?
Differentiate the Cartesian eqn with respect to x (Implicit differentiation is required).
Simply sub in your values to find dy/dx.

Now find the eqn of the normal by the usual method.

2: I understand, I can't remeber why I got that bit wrong It seems sorta....obvious :colondollar: between the point 0 and Pi, hi can't get the gradient to be 6! As the range has to be greater than 0 :facepalm:

7b: I knew it was Implicit!!!!!! But then i thought, might as well try this way :tongue: got the right answer now :biggrin:

Thank youuuu

Not bothering with Vectors and Binomial though :tongue: Not got enough energy to do any more :frown:

Tomorrow will be ISA revision day. Day after that, C3 :coma:, S1 :sick: thennnnn maybe back to C4 :angry:
Reply 47
does anyone have the C4 june 11 past paper and mark scheme?
Reply 49
thank you so much, much appreciated, argh dreading C4 !!
Im quite stressed for this exam!! Can anyone help me with writing a differential equation from a desciption given in an exam and also vectors.. the ones where they are perpendicular ... Im 'dotting them' with the wrong thing :/
Original post by Smiley Face :)
Im quite stressed for this exam!! Can anyone help me with writing a differential equation from a desciption given in an exam and also vectors.. the ones where they are perpendicular ... Im 'dotting them' with the wrong thing :/

Normally they provide you with a wall of text. To begin with, try to cut out all the waffle and write down the key things (so θ=temperature, start θ=20, increases at a rate of c per second, yah de yah etc etc). Then see what it's asking. If it wants the rate, it'll be something/dt. If something's proportional to something else, then (something)=k(something else). If there's a decrease, then there'll probably be a minus sign.

When you dot vectors, make sure they're directional vectors, pointing AWAY from the angle you want.

If vectors are perpendicular, then their dot product must equal 0, because cos90=0 (or cos(pi/2)=0, if you prefer radians). ab=abcosθ\mathbf{a} \cdot \mathbf{b} = |\mathbf{a}| |\mathbf{b}| cos \theta. Also, (abc)(def)=ad+be+cf.\begin{pmatrix} a \\ b \\ c \end{pmatrix} \cdot \begin{pmatrix} d \\ e \\ f \end{pmatrix} = ad+be+cf.
Reply 52
Original post by Contrad!ction.
hope you're ready for tomorrow, why?
Because I am spendig a full day on the OCR book :colone:
Will be doing a mash of C4 and C3! (C4 all morning and C3 in the evening) my plan is to finish every single one of them damn questions in the misc section :colonhash:

Ps I shall need a ton of your help lol :colondollar:

How's the C4 coming along people? :h:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire
Reply 53
Original post by Doctor.
hope you're ready for tomorrow, why?
Because I am spendig a full day on the OCR book :colone:
Will be doing a mash of C4 and C3! (C4 all morning and C3 in the evening) my plan is to finish every single one of them damn questions in the misc section :colonhash:

Ps I shall need a ton of your help lol :colondollar:

How's the C4 coming along people? :h:

Canny, canny. I'm concentrating on FP2 and S2 at the minute as I feel like I've got C4 nailed :tongue:

Only thing I dislike with C4 is making the binomial expansion valid and what values x can and cannot be.
Reply 54
Original post by wibletg
Canny, canny. I'm concentrating on FP2 and S2 at the minute as I feel like I've got C4 nailed :tongue:

Only thing I dislike with C4 is making the binomial expansion valid and what values x can and cannot be.

Clever person [s]yes[\s]

Oh I hate both of them, I think I have C4 just about sorted. Them binomial ones can.be a little odd :lol: It's C3 that's bugging me the most tbh :cry2:.
Reply 55
[QUOTE="Doctor.;37457461"]Clever person :yes:

Naah, just my teacher for C4 is much better than my S2/FP2 teacher :tongue:

That and we've been finished the course a month.

I definitely prefer C4 over C3 though.
Reply 56
Excuse my ignorance, what does 'canny canny' mean?
Reply 57
Excuse my ignorance, what does 'canny canny' mean?

Oh dear, didn't realise I'd used that.

Basically, it means 'well' in that context :tongue:
Reply 58
Original post by wibletg
Oh dear, didn't realise I'd used that.

Basically, it means 'well' in that context :tongue:

Ah, ok. :smile:
Reply 59
Ah, ok. :smile:

Yeah :redface:

Does anyone else think they give a tonne of marks for solving differential equations?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending