The Student Room Group

Really want to do this but not sure if it is allowed?

So like i want to put down Reading and Loughborough as my final two uni choices, Reading want BBB and Loughborough want ABB, so i can i put Reading as my first choice and then Loughborough as my second choice? And then if i do get the grades for Loughborough then i can reject Reading and go for Loughborough? Can this be done?

Please help!

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by diesha
So like i want to put down Reading and Loughborough as my final two uni choices, Reading want BBB and Loughborough want ABB, so i can i put Reading as my first choice and then Loughborough as my second choice? And then if i do get the grades for Loughborough then i can reject Reading and go for Loughborough? Can this be done?

Please help!

Thanks

On your UCAS form, if you put Reading as the firm choice and achieve ABB, you will have to go to Reading. On the other hand, if you put Reading as your Insurance option and Loughborough as your firm: if you miss the grades for Loughborough, you can still go to Reading provided you have met their offer.
Reply 2
You may want to put loughborough as your first choice then work your way down, so if you dont get ABB, then go Reading. You will get an offer from both if you got ABB, and if you got BBB then Reading will.
Reply 3
Why would you not put loughborough as your first if that's the one you want to go to?
If you don't get the grades for loughborough then you'll still have reading to go to. It just seems logical to put loughborough as first.
Original post by Darkbling
You may want to put loughborough as your first choice then work your way down, so if you dont get ABB, then go Reading. You will get an offer from both if you got ABB, and if you got BBB then Reading will.

Just to clarify - if you meet the conditions for your firm choice then your insurance choice is gone, even if you met the conditions for it. Once you've got into your firm choice then you don't have an insurance any more, the only way to go there would be to get released from your firm choice (this can take a few days) and reapply to your insurance choice through Clearing.
Reply 5
Original post by totopink
Why would you not put loughborough as your first if that's the one you want to go to?
If you don't get the grades for loughborough then you'll still have reading to go to. It just seems logical to put loughborough as first.

Because i am more likely to get BBB and hence i want my firm to be BBB but it's like a just in case i get ABB then i still have Loughborough? If ya get me?
Reply 6
Original post by diesha
Because i am more likely to get BBB and hence i want my firm to be BBB but it's like a just in case i get ABB then i still have Loughborough? If ya get me?

I don't think you understand the concept of an insurance choice...
Reply 7
Original post by diesha

you dont understand how the system works.

put loughborough as first, reading insurance.

This means if you achieve:

ABB -> loughborough
BBB -> reading

less -> neither

Put reading and you get

ABB-> reading
BBB -> reading
less-> nothing
you are guarenteed a place at either your firm or insurance providing you meet the requirements for one. There is no problem putting loughborough as your firm even if you expect to end up with your insurance. This will have no impact.

putting the higher offer as your insurance, you essentially will NEVER attend that uni unless through clearing.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by diesha

No, if you got ABB and your firm is Reading then you meet your firm offer and your insurance choice of Loughborough is gone. You don't get to choose if you meet the offer for both your firm and your insurance, your firm becomes unconditional and your insurance choice is no more.
Reply 9
Wait... WHAT :confused:

I thought you can pick a uni out of your 5 choices (if grades met)... Isn't this right? :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by IlexBlue
I don't think you understand the concept of an insurance choice...

ha agreed
Reply 11
Original post by diesha

I get what you mean but you're looking at it completely backwards. Why wouldn't you put reading as your firm and then loughborough as insurance? That acheives exactly what you want?
Reply 12
Original post by bossman42
Wait... WHAT :confused:

I thought you can pick a uni out of your 5 choices (if grades met)... Isn't this right? :biggrin:

No, once you get all your offers through, if you have 2 or more offers you pick a firm and an insurance. If you meet the offer for your firm, you go there, if you miss it but meet your insurance, you go to the insurance, if you miss both... probably should've done more work.

There is an issue with accommodation for insurance places at some universities, but it's a bull**** reason to start gaming the system. You are in the 100% normal situation the system was designed to sort out... you put the university you like most as your firm, and the one you like less as your insurance, that's all there is to it. No thinking, no weird game theory, just that.
Reply 13
Original post by diesha

If you want to go to Loughborough most then you put that first.
If you end up getting BBB you'll go to Reading regardless of whether it's your first or second choice.
If you get ABB, then you can only go to Loughborough if you have it as first choice, as you'd be locked into your Reading offer if that was your first choice.

So if you put Reading first, there's no way you're going to Loughborough. If you put Loughborough first, then you might get into Loughborough, if not you'll go to Reading - it's win/win putting Loughborough first choice.
Reply 14
Original post by JoMo1
No, once you get all your offers through, if you have 2 or more offers you pick a firm and an insurance. If you meet the offer for your firm, you go there, if you miss it but meet your insurance, you go to the insurance, if you miss both... probably should've done more work.

There is an issue with accommodation for insurance places at some universities, but it's a bull**** reason to start gaming the system. You are in the 100% normal situation the system was designed to sort out... you put the university you like most as your firm, and the one you like less as your insurance, that's all there is to it. No thinking, no weird game theory, just that.

Hmm you cleared that a bit, but it still baffles me why do we put 5 choices then if in reality we only have 2 o.0
Hmm you cleared that a bit, but it still baffles me why do we put 5 choices then if in reality we only have 2 o.0

You have 5 choices to apply to.
Then you have up to 5 choices to accept depending on how many offers you get.
So once you get your offers back you chose the one you really want to go to
this is your FIRM
then you get to put another one as a back up in case you don't get the grades for your firm, this is your INSURANCE.
Reply 16

Because 3 of them might reject you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending