The Student Room Group

new £5 coins

Apparantly my household is 'among those specially selected to recieve this notification of britains new special edition legal tender 2012 £5 coin.' !!! :colonhash: Am I right in thinking that they actually got sent to every house?

At least you do only have to pay £5 and no P&P . . .

Are they going to replace £5 notes ie will any more £5 notes be made? And will the coins continue to be made?

I heard a while back that there might be £5 coins mass produced so are these special edition coins the start of it, or just a few collectors coins being made?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would have thought that if it was an overall change it would make sense to notify everybody about it. :tongue:
Reply 2
I was once given a commemorative £5 coin.I certainly hope they're not swapping notes for them - my purse would be huge!
Reply 3
Only a select few households being informed and they have to send off money? Sounds a tad dodgy :wink:
is the Postal address Nigeria?!
They just use them to mark occassions. They are legal tender but nowhere will accept them. They will never replace five pound notes because they are loads harder to carry around and use.
Reply 6
Original post by Bill_Gates

Oh, dear.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
that's just one of those things where you send off for one as more of a keepsake, you wouldn't actually spend it :smile:
Original post by Chronist
What is wrong with Nigeria? You don't like it? :smile:

http://www.419eater.com/scamtracker/

Think that says it all.
Reply 9
I have several £5 coins, two Diana's and another Jubilee coin. I found them in change at work and asked my boss if I could swap them for notes.

They are legal tender, and nobody but banks will accept them, as very few people have seen, let alone touched them. Collectors will probably pay a little over £5 for them.
Reply 10
We would've heard about it on the news at least, surely.

Certainly dodgy. If I were you I'd report it to Action Fraud immediately just to spite the **** head that thought it'd be a good idea.

I hate to think that someone might actually fall into that sort of trap. Especially like a nan figure or such.

Anyway, OP, would you like to scan this letter and show it to us? Maybe if it's obviously tacky or whatnot we can be certain that it's a scam.

Edit: I think I over reacted a little. It could be real, just v. unlikely.
(edited 11 years ago)
They make a 5 pound coin before they make a 2 pound note...what is this bullsh*t
Nope, I've only just found out from here!
Reply 13
Original post by apolocreed
They make a 5 pound coin before they make a 2 pound note...what is this bullsh*t

5 pound coins have been out for ages, they're just very rare.
Reply 14
Original post by Clare~Bear
Apparantly my household is 'among those specially selected to recieve this notification of britains new legal tender 2012 £5 coin.' !!! :colonhash: Am I right in thinking that they actually got sent to every house?

At least you do only have to pay £5 and no P&P . . .

Are they going to replace £5 notes ie will any more £5 notes be made? And will the coins continue to be made?

My household was selected a couple of years ago to get a £5 note but it was for another royalty occasion. It was free P&P and you give £5 note and you get a £5 coin back. Seemed simple enough so I thought why not. Then pretty soon they started sending me a lot of junk mail to do with coins and such, I think they thought I was a coin collector.
They even sent a "limited edition coin collectors box" for coin collectors to store coins or something even though I never ordered it, they were then demanding like £50 for the box which I never even wanted. In the end I sent the box back (it cost an absolute fortune because it was big and very heavy) accompanied by a very very angry letter with colourful vocabulary stating I don't want there crap.

I still have the coin though somewhere.
I remember seeing the £5.00 coin ad on TV. I was thinking Wtf?

Original post by Bill_Gates

Sir, we made need your bank account details before we can begin this transaction. Call me on 0800 this-is-a-scam. :wink:
Original post by tamimi
We would've heard about it on the news at least, surely.

Certainly dodgy. If I were you I'd report it to Action Fraud immediately just to spite the **** head that thought it'd be a good idea.

I hate to think that someone might actually fall into that sort of trap. Especially like a nan figure or such.

Anyway, OP, would you like to scan this letter and show it to us? Maybe if it's obviously tacky or whatnot we can be certain that it's a scam.

Edit: I think I over reacted a little. It could be real, just v. unlikely.

Its real man, I saw the ad of the £5 coin on TV.

Edit: You could have just googled it lulz. There are plenty of pics of £5 coins, calm down.
We got that advert through the post a few months ago. I already have a £5 coin to celebrate the Queen's golden jubilee. They often bring out limited edition £5 coins for special occasions.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Some of these things are actual commemorative coins in pounds sterling.

Others are not - either they're a differenct currency or a just a novelty thing.

So yeah it's possible you'll pay £5 and get a £5 coin that's worth £5 or maybe more in future, but if you don't read carefully you could end up with something worthless.
Reply 19
Original post by Chronist
What is wrong with Nigeria? You don't like it? :smile:

No it's the 'man from Nigeria would like your bank a/c details' email scams that led to the choice of Nigeria.

Quick Reply