Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Discovery heights, who'll be in my flat?

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm new to the forum
    I've applied for accommodation at the Unite Housing at Plymouth University, Discovery Heights.
    I'll be in flat 506 Sept 2012, where are other people staying?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I will be in flat 702!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm in 305
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, i'm in flat 802. Apparently I don't have any flatmates yet! Anyone nearby?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys I'm looking into booking a flat in Discovery Heights, and there are so many options :O I've seen a few of the flats you lot are in, for instance Jamie's flat and Alex's flat. Just wondering what you lot would recommend for booking? I'm thinking about a 43 week Ensuite.

Anyone willing to help me out? Might also be nice to get to know potential flatmates before I book one as well
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm always sad to see people moving into this property. Its beautifully presented but its run by fraudsters and corporate mafia. You couldn't pay me to live here again.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude Where's My Username)
    I'm always sad to see people moving into this property. Its beautifully presented but its run by fraudsters and corporate mafia. You couldn't pay me to live here again.
    Care to elaborate? A fair warning would be welcome.

The reason I'm considering it is because I don't know of any other student accommodation that is nice and is not run by the university, and I've been told that Chris Shorey are horrible landlords.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snape2255)
    Care to elaborate? A fair warning would be welcome.

The reason I'm considering it is because I don't know of any other student accommodation that is nice and is not run by the university, and I've been told that Chris Shorey are horrible landlords.
    They basically swindled £300 out of me and made up a load of "additional cleaning costs" when I moved out despite my room and the bedroom being flawless and actually being cleaner than before I moved in. Not to mention that the rents themselves are extotionate (£133 a WEEK :lolwut: although as you'll be paying for that with your loan, thats not such an issue. But it may be if you want to have a decent amount saved up for an ISA or something come the end of each term)

I'd rather look for a nice private houseshare at £90 a week with a landlord with good rep than the UNITE or Chris Shorey Mafia if you absolutely don't want university owned halls (which aren't that bad imo, as long as you don't get Gilwell).

Take a gander at accomodationforstudents.com and search Plymouth properties. Some decent ones there.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude Where's My Username)
    They basically swindled £300 out of me and made up a load of "additional cleaning costs" when I moved out despite my room and the bedroom being flawless and actually being cleaner than before I moved in. Not to mention that the rents themselves are extotionate (£133 a WEEK :lolwut: although as you'll be paying for that with your loan, thats not such an issue. But it may be if you want to have a decent amount saved up for an ISA or something come the end of each term)

I'd rather look for a nice private houseshare at £90 a week with a landlord with good rep than the UNITE or Chris Shorey Mafia if you absolutely don't want university owned halls (which aren't that bad imo, as long as you don't get Gilwell).

Take a gander at accomodationforstudents.com and search Plymouth properties. Some decent ones there.
    Ahh I see, thank you for the heads up! I also agree that £133 p/w is a bit of an extortionate price.

Unfortunately as I have no choice but to do a Foundation Degree for 2 years until I have the option to top it up to a Bachelor's (it's one of them 2-part courses...) I will be at the university colleges (City College Plymouth to be precise) and due to that I am not entitled to accommodation in student halls so I have to look into private accommodation.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The reason I chose discovery housing is because it is a lot cleaner than the on site campus, and I would be paying at least 100 pounds a week for that also. When I looked around the accomodation of Plymouth university I was shocked, some of the worst halls were just vile. Plus you don't even get to choose which halls you want, and there's only a 30/40 percent chance you'll even get halls, if not you're put in housing.

I think finding housing outside of the university is a good idea, and if you're put off Unite, or can't afford it, then a house share would be your best idea.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Ahh I see, thank you for the heads up! I also agree that £133 p/w is a bit of an extortionate price.

Unfortunately as I have no choice but to do a Foundation Degree for 2 years until I have the option to top it up to a Bachelor's (it's one of them 2-part courses...) I will be at the university colleges (City College Plymouth to be precise) and due to that I am not entitled to accommodation in student halls so I have to look into private accommodation.
    That doesn't mean you can't go for a house share though. It will be infinitely cheaper, and probably nicer too.

Also, 50% of first years don't get into halls, so there are loads of houses that will be made up of first years who don't know eachother before hand, just like halls.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys I'm looking into booking a flat in Discovery Heights, and there are so many options :O I've seen a few of the flats you lot are in, for instance Jamie's flat and Alex's flat. Just wondering what you lot would recommend for booking? I'm thinking about a 43 week Ensuite.

Anyone willing to help me out? Might also be nice to get to know potential flatmates before I book one as well
    Hi Craig, glad you are looking at Discovery Heights. I thought it was very nice when I saw it, although I have heard a few people saying about extra costs being added on afterwards. I went for the 43 week ensuite room which is quite expensive, but had to be done! If you are planning on staying at Discovery Heights, you should apply asap as there aren't many places left there now, and they might sell out within a couple of weeks (that's what they told me). Good luck with your choice, and perhaps I will see you in September!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't go with unite.
    I lived in Alexandra works my first year, i lost my deposit for no reason. I had a mouse in my flat for the last 3 months i was living there, even though our flat was constantly spotless.
    The other uni halls are fine / bar gillwell, but i think i'd rather be in gillwell than a unite building again.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaimemay)
    Me toooo!!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    ahh decent, do you know of any others?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaimemay)
    ahh decent, do you know of any others?
    Just me you and my girlfriend atm.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    ah right ok, guesss il see you in september then, what dates are you moving in?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 29, 2014
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.