The Student Room Group

Anyone else missing school because of revision?

Scroll to see replies

I did it for about two weeks but for January exams. I wasn't going to start learning summer term work when I had exams going on. We had loads study leave in the summer but if we didnt have that I would have probably stopped going once we had finished all the content for the first time.
We havent even finished our course in History and we have our exam on the 15th!!! I just decided Id rather good grades and bad attendance rather then vice versa.
Now back to revision I go :bath:
Original post by Pride
I see why you would do this, but I dunno, I wouldn't recommend it. I can understand why you're doing it though.

Hey...what option are you doing? Im doing option f7 and f3?
Original post by tooshmeister
We havent even finished our course in History and we have our exam on the 15th!!! I just decided Id rather good grades and bad attendance rather then vice versa.
Now back to revision I go :bath:

Hey....which option are you doing for history...im doing options f7 and f3?
Original post by saywhat111
Hey....which option are you doing for history...im doing options f7 and f3?

We are WJEC so I dont think we do those, but Im studying Mussolini, International Relation After the Franco-Prussian war and King Charles.
You, since I dont understand those options? :redface:
Original post by tooshmeister
We are WJEC so I dont think we do those, but Im studying Mussolini, International Relation After the Franco-Prussian war and King Charles.
You, since I dont understand those options? :redface:

Im doing edexcel and option f3 is the rise of fascism in italy and mussolini and the option f7 is on germany and hitler and stuff. I have two weeks and I havent started revising for mussolini. I am F******
Im doing edexcel and option f3 is the rise of fascism in italy and mussolini and the option f7 is on germany and hitler and stuff. I have two weeks and I havent started revising for mussolini. I am F******

Ive been revising Mussolini today and still havent finished the booklet :frown: Just read over it, honestly it works wonders :smile:

But Im still more screwed then a screwed on screw....yeah
I've considered it as I have so much to do and at the moment, we're not doing much in the lessons. But I go on study leave next friday so I guess that enough time to get everything done.
Reply 28
Hey...what option are you doing? Im doing option f7 and f3?

I don't study history
Reply 29
Gonna do it from the Start of June.
Reply 30
My study leave isn't until June 1st and I have 10 exams before then, and only 4 after! Might be "ill" some days :wink:
Reply 31
Yes, absolutely yes. I get so much more from an hour's revision from a textbook than a day at school. By this age (year 13) I know what helps me learn far better than any of my teachers.

I get in trouble for it, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make - I'm not going to get bad grades just to please my teachers. It's weird though, because the reason they want me to come in is because they think it'll help me, when in fact it harms me.
yeah this is such a good idea, but the problem is, attendance and punctuality apparently will be going on UCAS so I can't let that suffer and apparently some universities have requested for some students attendance upcoming to exams ( mostly oxford and cambridge though)
but definitely an hour of my own work is like 2 days of schools so working from home is so much better, but near exams its common teachers might mention tips or advice which could be really useful and you miss out on. Perhaps when everyone else does mindmaps you sit in the class and do your own revision- i often do that and the teacher doesn't care, as long as I'm working. Frees perhaps go to the library if its a distraction in classroom/common room. I often find an empty classroom and sit their and work.
Some students at my school do this regularly round exams and now its a bad habit they can't get out of, which won't help them at all for uni when you still have to attend lectures just before your exams.
Reply 33
Lots of my friends do this and I am not sure how beneficial it is. At our school our revision lessons are very good and they go through past papers with us all the time so I think they may be doing themselves negatively, but if you feel its best for you you should probably go with your instinct x
Why not selectively skip lessons instead? That's what I do for A2 French :smile:
Reply 35
I'm doing this ahh. I've given up on my second module in chemistry cause i don't know anything in it. I know maybe 75% of the content in the other ones? I'd rather get 7As/B/Cs and a U then average D's :/ I'm just skipping the chemistry lessons and going to the library and revising.
Original post by thediamonds
I am a year 12 student doing four A level essay subjects and am planning to miss a few school days a week till my exams start, and probably the days in between the exams for my revision. I can not concentrate at school at all and i find the revision lessons that the teachers organize useless as I understand the content. I just need more time to memorize everything and do past papers.
We are not allowed to do that in my school but I am breaking the rules for the sake of my future :colondollar:
anyone else doing this? :confused:

Original post by Mike Hunt is nice
I was thinking about doing this as we AS students have NO STUDY LEAVE.

Wait, so you guys don't even have study leave between exams? If that's the case, then definitely take days off!!

Woah, I should count myself lucky, im in yr 12, and although we don't have study leave before the exams, we do have it during our exams for like 3 weeks :redface:
Reply 37
I've decided to this, simply because we have no study leave. In all my subjects, we've finished the content; so imo it's only logical for those independent enough to have study leave. Those who need the extra support, should be allowed to have a lesson and teacher. Hence, I argued for optional study leave.

I even wrote to the headteacher of the school complaining about this, and after a fruitful conversation; she allowed me to skip lessons.

My attendance for Chemistry this month has been 0% and History 25% (Only come in for one reason). I only come in for Geography and Maths for the lovely banter :biggrin:
Original post by Yumnaarrhhh
Our study leave is on friday 11th..and my first exam is on monday 14th :sigh:

We dont have to go back to school untill 11th June or something like that :biggrin:

wel ive got study leave from this week but dont start till 11th june!! Take your days of if you need to its the grade that counts more in the end! call in sick or something!
Reply 39
Original post by Jack_Smith
wel ive got study leave from this week but dont start till 11th june!! Take your days of if you need to its the grade that counts more in the end! call in sick or something!

Just saw this thread, I am taking days off too, because I actually really need it, we have finished the syllabus so i dont see the point of going in anymore, but im so scared what if college says smth about attendance, my 1st exam is next week, :frown: i have too much to do, and not enough time so confused

Quick Reply

Latest