The Student Room Group

treble clef tattoo, on a guy?

hello :smile:

i'm a guy, and i was thinking of getting a small treble clef tattooed onto my inner left wrist this summer. songwriting is my passion, and music means a lot to me. i'll be off to uni soon, and am also turning eighteen in september.

this is a big decision for me though, as it's my first tattoo. i was wondering what people would think of it..? would it just look silly on a guy, or would it be 'okay'? i've only started thinking about it recently, so i'm really not sure. would it seem immature in some way? :frown:

it would probably be something like this (the right one):
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/147/360604595_e977c8330e.jpg

Scroll to see replies

Just because music means a lot to you, why are you going to brand your body? If you're worried about it for whatever reason, don't get the tattoo. Even if you are sure, don't get it anyway.
Reply 2
Nothing wrong with treble cleff, but on the hands or forearms is always risky due to it possibly affecting job propositions. Though if you plan on being in the music industry as a job it probably won't have a negative effect.

But yeah nothing wrong with a treble cleff, i'm getting a bass cleff myself :biggrin:
Reply 3
As the person above said, don't get a tattoo in a place that you can't cover up. That could cause problems later.

I would say don't get a tattoo at all, I think they're fairly pointless (just my personal opinion, of course). I mean, I like HP Sauce, but I'm not about to get a draw a bottle of it onto my skin.
Reply 4
I have a tattoo on my wrist and they're easily covered up by shirt sleeves and watches. I think it's a nice tattoo, although I'd make it a little bit bigger because a lot of guys can't pull off small tattoos IMO.
Reply 5
Don't do it!
Reply 6
Original post by ziziii

i'm a guy, and i was thinking of getting a small treble clef tattooed onto my inner left wrist this summer. songwriting is my passion, and music means a lot to me. i'll be off to uni soon, and am also turning eighteen in september.

this is a big decision for me though, as it's my first tattoo. i was wondering what people would think of it..? would it just look silly on a guy, or would it be 'okay'? i've only started thinking about it recently, so i'm really not sure. would it seem immature in some way? :frown:

I'm not a fan of tatoos but like others have said not on your wrists it just looks painful more than anything. I'm weird I dislike the look of wrists.
Reply 7
Original post by ziziii

Ignore the anti-tattoo brigade here, if you really want to get it, go ahead.

Though i would add, regarding your choice of design, that perhaps your tattoo should be something original (tbh, little symbols on the wrist, for me, is a bit cliche and has been done x times before). Do some research into your musical influences, for example, and you could perhaps incorporate the treble clef in there somewhere. Similarly, research a decent artist and usually you can take a bunch of ideas to them and they'll work on a bespoke design for you.

Hope this helps?
Reply 8
Original post by umop apisdn
Just because music means a lot to you, why are you going to brand your body? If you're worried about it for whatever reason, don't get the tattoo. Even if you are sure, don't get it anyway.
i can't really express all of my motives in two or three lines though! :tongue: i didn't come here to ask what i should get, i asked a question because i already knew what i was considering, but just wanted to know if it seemed, you know, gay (i'm very pro-gay rights, so the only reason i chose to use this word is because of its appropriate connotations in this context).

Original post by Rarrgh
Nothing wrong with treble cleff, but on the hands or forearms is always risky due to it possibly affecting job propositions. Though if you plan on being in the music industry as a job it probably won't have a negative effect.

But yeah nothing wrong with a treble cleff, i'm getting a bass cleff myself :biggrin:
mate that's so cool. how old are you, just out of curiosity? because i don't want this to be something i get tired of after uni! :tongue:

Original post by geetar
As the person above said, don't get a tattoo in a place that you can't cover up. That could cause problems later.

I would say don't get a tattoo at all, I think they're fairly pointless (just my personal opinion, of course). I mean, I like HP Sauce, but I'm not about to get a draw a bottle of it onto my skin.
i wear wristbands almost daily, and watches with suits so i doubt it would be much of a problem.. and hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. i also never got into HP Sauce, but i'm not questioning your taste! :wink:

Original post by syrettd
I have a tattoo on my wrist and they're easily covered up by shirt sleeves and watches. I think it's a nice tattoo, although I'd make it a little bit bigger because a lot of guys can't pull off small tattoos IMO.
aha, this is the most relevant. i think i see what you're saying, but why do you think it's harder for guys to pull off small tattoos? i think it might go okay with my look, but at the same time i don't want to put off every girl i meet, you know. :tongue: so do elaborate, please :smile:

Original post by ukr-nffc
Ignore the anti-tattoo brigade here, if you really want to get it, go ahead.

Though i would add, regarding your choice of design, that perhaps your tattoo should be something original (tbh, little symbols on the wrist, for me, is a bit cliche and has been done x times before). Do some research into your musical influences, for example, and you could perhaps incorporate the treble clef in there somewhere. Similarly, research a decent artist and usually you can take a bunch of ideas to them and they'll work on a bespoke design for you.

Hope this helps?
thanks so much! i see what you're saying. well it is something i want, i just want to see what kind of social reception it has, because that could counter my own perceived value of the tattoo. :biggrin: and i see that it's a cliche idea and all, but i guess what i really want to know is if something of the kind, i.e. a small wrist tattoo on a guy, looks okay or not. do you have tattoos too?
Original post by ziziii

x

I'd advise getting it done semi-permanent first... Henna (£1 on eBay), or something similar (maybe just sharpie/biro)
Just to get a feel for whether you like the pattern, get other peoples opinions etc. for a week or two, then change/adapt it 'til you're happy with it...

But I don't think having a musical tattoo is 'gay' in any way (though I can imagine it could look slightly feminine if not 'right')
Reply 10
Original post by ziziii
-

18 going on 19 soon, and aslong as you really are fascinated and enjoy what the tattoo is about (seems like you do) then the novelty shouldn't really ware off
Original post by Hearty_Beast
I'd advise getting it done semi-permanent first... Henna (£1 on eBay), or something similar (maybe just sharpie/biro)
Just to get a feel for whether you like the pattern, get other peoples opinions etc. for a week or two, then change/adapt it 'til you're happy with it...

But I don't think having a musical tattoo is 'gay' in any way (though I can imagine it could look slightly feminine if not 'right')
okay, that sounds like a perfect plan :smile:
hahah, i hope not! i see all these guys around me getting symbols and quotes tattooed, and girls tend to be the ones getting more illustrative tattoos.. so i was just wondering.
I wouldn't do it. Bass clef would seem better if I did.
I would say its quite girly, I have a treble clef and bass clef tattoo which form a heart like this -

--120000--91914_product_1709327938_thumb_large.jpg

obviously this is very girly because it's a heart but I think the whole music note thing is quite girly as a tattoo idea. It weird though because boys ovbiously read and play music too:s-smilie:

Maybe try and add to it or incorporate it in another design to make it a bit more manly:P
Reply 14
Go for it!
Original post by lauraaaa.xo
I would say its quite girly, I have a treble clef and bass clef tattoo which form a heart like this -

--120000--91914_product_1709327938_thumb_large.jpg

obviously this is very girly because it's a heart but I think the whole music note thing is quite girly as a tattoo idea. It weird though because boys ovbiously read and play music too:s-smilie:

Maybe try and add to it or incorporate it in another design to make it a bit more manly:P

That's a really well done design. I like it!
Original post by mikeyd85
That's a really well done design. I like it!

ha thanks, my ex found it on bme:smile: i have it on my ankle and i love itt:smile:
Reply 17
Original post by ziziii

thanks so much! i see what you're saying. well it is something i want, i just want to see what kind of social reception it has, because that could counter my own perceived value of the tattoo. :biggrin: and i see that it's a cliche idea and all, but i guess what i really want to know is if something of the kind, i.e. a small wrist tattoo on a guy, looks okay or not. do you have tattoos too?

Well, it's good that you know what you want. Honestly, the social reception will be mixed as this thread has probably already proved - and people's pre-judgements will be affected by the tattoo alone as sad as that may be. BUT, that shouldn't affect your own 'perceived value' - you were in a position where you were ready/willing to have it done and whatever it means to you will always remain, regardless of other opinions on the matter - if anything, from my own experience, you'll value it more as you 'defend' it (for want of a better word).

As far as the size goes, it depends on your wrist - similarly, the tattoo artist will have some input in telling you what looks good, personally i would say bigger than the one in the photo but that's just my two cents.

I do have tattoos, several in fact, and very proud of all of them :smile:
Reply 18
Put ot on the chest or on the shoulder, i hear it can affect job prospects if you have a visible tattoo.
Original post by M4LLY
Put ot on the chest or on the shoulder, i hear it can affect job prospects if you have a visible tattoo.
it's a tiny symbol on my inner left wrist though, easily covered by a watch, wristband, bracelet or simply long sleeves..?

Quick Reply

Latest