The Student Room Group

Help! Bad mistake with uni? (sussex/york)

Hello!
So in the end I picked sussex over york for psychology and have felt stupidly down over it ever since :s

With sussex on paper it ticked all the boxes- decent course, decent nightlife, im from London and the majority of people there are apparently from London so at least i'll be able to see the people after uni but overall I just didn't get the whole I want to be here feeling like I didn't connect with the uni at all. Also it had more of a hippy vibe which im not into:frown:

Ever since I've felt like maybe I should have picked york because I did connect with the uni and can imagine myself there. But the problem is I think the course could be more intense and some of the 3rd year modules im not too excited about and also being someone who loves clubbing I don't think the people there are into that much because overall its more geeky and theres more of a work ethic

I have a couple of days to change my mind and would seriously love some advice!!

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey

I am in the same position as you regarding the fact i am thinking about changing over my unis.

I think you really need to consider what you want out of uni? Is it the better course? Is it the nightlife and the people more suited to you? I am sure you will find a decent amount of people att York who have the same interests as you? But if you like the course better at Sussex then do you think it'd be better to stick? Maybe connecting to it will come after you have spent some time there....

It really depends on what you are looking to get out of uni.

Hope this helps.
Reply 2
SUUUUSSSSEEEEXXX all the way. way better than yorko.
Reply 3
seriously, sussex is amaze, my friend goes there, the night life is immense and brighton is a really nice part of the world. great clubs on the seafront, not too expensive and lets face it, life is better down south :smile: def go sussex
Reply 4
hold on tho, depends what kind of person u are. what music are u into/what clothes do u wear? cos the BIMM people are v prevalent in brighton and lots of clubs accord to this i think (not all, of course there are lots of mainstream clubs, but still)
Reply 5
Original post by tsveta
hold on tho, depends what kind of person u are. what music are u into/what clothes do u wear? cos the BIMM people are v prevalent in brighton and lots of clubs accord to this i think (not all, of course there are lots of mainstream clubs, but still)

Sorry, what depends on what kind of music you like or what clothes you wear?
Go revise for your GCSE's kid.

Sussex is a fine University, as is York. It's not like you shot yourself in the foot and picked Lincoln over Oxford or anything.
Reply 6
Original post by Spungo

Sussex is a fine University, as is York. It's not like you shot yourself in the foot and picked Lincoln over Oxford or anything.

please dont be rude
Reply 7
Original post by Spungo

i'm just trying to help the OP with pros and cons list. york and sussex are v similar and good unis so obvs youve gotta go deeper into it. just thinking about which environment OP will be happier in, especially as he mentioned nightlife so it obv important to him.
Reply 8
Original post by xnatsix
Hello!
So in the end I picked sussex over york for psychology and have felt stupidly down over it ever since :s

With sussex on paper it ticked all the boxes- decent course, decent nightlife, im from London and the majority of people there are apparently from London so at least i'll be able to see the people after uni but overall I just didn't get the whole I want to be here feeling like I didn't connect with the uni at all. Also it had more of a hippy vibe which im not into:frown:

Ever since I've felt like maybe I should have picked york because I did connect with the uni and can imagine myself there. But the problem is I think the course could be more intense and some of the 3rd year modules im not too excited about and also being someone who loves clubbing I don't think the people there are into that much because overall its more geeky and theres more of a work ethic

I have a couple of days to change my mind and would seriously love some advice!!

Thanks

There are tonsss of people at york that go out clubbing. My bf goes there and his housemates are out all the time.
Reply 9
Original post by diesha
Hey

I am in the same position as you regarding the fact i am thinking about changing over my unis.

I think you really need to consider what you want out of uni? Is it the better course? Is it the nightlife and the people more suited to you? I am sure you will find a decent amount of people att York who have the same interests as you? But if you like the course better at Sussex then do you think it'd be better to stick? Maybe connecting to it will come after you have spent some time there....

It really depends on what you are looking to get out of uni.

Hope this helps.

Hey :smile: what unis are you between?
It's so difficult the course is 1/4 better as it's combined with sociology which I like whereas York is not. So would you say it's worth it if its just 1/4?
Reply 10
Original post by tsveta
seriously, sussex is amaze, my friend goes there, the night life is immense and brighton is a really nice part of the world. great clubs on the seafront, not too expensive and lets face it, life is better down south :smile: def go sussex

But what are the people like?
Reply 11
Original post by tsveta

Im into mainstream music so basically whatever is in the UK top 40 i'll love and clothes wise a girly girl so on a night out would wear a short dress and heels kind of thing
Reply 12
Original post by Shelly_x
There are tonsss of people at york that go out clubbing. My bf goes there and his housemates are out all the time.

Alot of the reviews from York say that all the clubs play cheese music :/ what do you think?
Reply 13
Original post by xnatsix
Alot of the reviews from York say that all the clubs play cheese music :/ what do you think?

Depends what night you go and where. Yeah some of them play 90s music but that can be really fun on a night out because everyone knows every song. The vast majority of them play normal club music though. There are quite a few large clubs in York, loads of bars and hundreds of pubs. Its not a quiet city by any means. I hear all the students going out all the time when im at my boyfriends halls, so they aren't all just stuck in the books.
But this isn't what you should be basing your uni decision on, base it on the course and the city, not the nightlife. Base it where you think you'll be happy :smile:
Reply 14
Depends what night you go and where. Yeah some of them play 90s music but that can be really fun on a night out because everyone knows every song. The vast majority of them play normal club music though. There are quite a few large clubs in York, loads of bars and hundreds of pubs. Its not a quiet city by any means. I hear all the students going out all the time when im at my boyfriends halls, so they aren't all just stuck in the books.
But this isn't what you should be basing your uni decision on, base it on the course and the city, not the nightlife. Base it where you think you'll be happy :smile:

Well it's weird I feel like i'll be happy at york and get the vibe the city is a whole lot more friendly then at sussex. But the course is 1/4 better at sussex because it's combine with sociology.
Reply 15
Original post by xnatsix
Well it's weird I feel like i'll be happy at york and get the vibe the city is a whole lot more friendly then at sussex. But the course is 1/4 better at sussex because it's combine with sociology.

Make a pros and cons list. If the pros outweight the cons at either then I say go to that one. Do you think 1/4th of the course would make a huge difference to you? Have you researched to see if York would allow you to take additional optional modules in sociology?
Reply 16
Make a pros and cons list. If the pros outweight the cons at either then I say go to that one. Do you think 1/4th of the course would make a huge difference to you? Have you researched to see if York would allow you to take additional optional modules in sociology?

Believe me I have haha:smile:

Sussex is perfect on paper but my gut is just saying no which is so weird and on all the open days i've never been like 'wow' and as a place to live after i'd probably live in sussex as opposed to york being from london, in your uni are many from London?

Well if im having a great time in general no not at all. No their pretty strict on the course and don't allow any optional modules.
Reply 17
Original post by xnatsix

Sussex is perfect on paper but my gut is just saying no which is so weird and on all the open days i've never been like 'wow' and as a place to live after i'd probably live in sussex as opposed to york being from london, in your uni are many from London?

Well if im having a great time in general no not at all. No their pretty strict on the course and don't allow any optional modules.

I'd go to York, thats where you seem to want to go. York uni has loads of people from down south, in fact the vast majority are southern.
Uni isn't intense at all. Its easier than a level for most people, I have a friend doing PPE at york and he has hardly any work... you could go to york and have free time, maybe not the clubbing though :P
Reply 19
Original post by xnatsix

You should follow your gut instinct - I had to choose between Sheffield and Sussex, and though Sheffield ticked every box on paper, I just loved Sussex too much to care :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest