Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Internet provider for students

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    so, I'm moving out of uni accommodation and I'll need to set up my own broadband now. Which provider is the best for students? The speed isn't very important as long as I can watch movies online. I've heard that the Virgin is good as they don't require to pay the line rental. Also, which provider is more or less torrent-friendly?
    Any advise will be appreciated,
    thanks!

P.S. I'm in Edinburgh
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    O2 Broadband. It's cheap, unlimited and based on ADSL2+.

It's also torrent friendly.

I pay £9 a month for 7mb/1mb and I tend to hammer a lot out of it especially with steam games.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovelyLT)
    Hi,
    so, I'm moving out of uni accommodation and I'll need to set up my own broadband now. Which provider is the best for students? The speed isn't very important as long as I can watch movies online. I've heard that the Virgin is good as they don't require to pay the line rental. Also, which provider is more or less torrent-friendly?
    thanks!
    Depends which virgin you get, their cables pretty good.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Virgin cable is pretty good and torrent tolerent. (you get throtlled if you download over 1 gig though before midnight)

I'm with BT. They're alright but you pretty much can't torrent before midnight. It's limited to like 0.1Kbps
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camoxide)
    Virgin cable is pretty good and torrent tolerent. (you get throtlled if you download over 1 gig though before midnight)

I'm with BT. They're alright but you pretty much can't torrent before midnight. It's limited to like 0.1Kbps
    throttling is dependant on what package your on and the time, full table:
    Spoiler:
    Show

imo virgin is the best even with their throttling policy, they also offer 9 month contracts for students.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    i'm thinking of getting this offer:

sales.talktalk (dot) co.uk /product/broadband/essentials

half price broadband for the 12months (£3.25pm), £9.50 line rental per month (if you pay it all upfront) and free line installation.
    works out to be £12.75 a month (which for a house of three people is £4.25 per person). and that's unlimited downloads and free weekend&evening calls.
    and if the moneysavingexpert offer goes through you get a £50 tesco voucher on top.
    downside is that their customer service isn't that great...

the deal expires at the end of july but it looks pretty good to me. opinions?
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilzone)
    i'm thinking of getting this offer:

sales.talktalk (dot) co.uk /product/broadband/essentials

half price broadband for the 12months (£3.25pm), £9.50 line rental per month (if you pay it all upfront) and free line installation.
    works out to be £12.75 a month (which for a house of three people is £4.25 per person). and that's unlimited downloads and free weekend&evening calls.
    and if the moneysavingexpert offer goes through you get a £50 tesco voucher on top.
    downside is that their customer service isn't that great...

the deal expires at the end of july but it looks pretty good to me. opinions?
    talktalk have issues, I have it....sometimes randomly it's crap, and does get throttled, particularly in the afternoon.
    But check if that version doesn't have a download limit.
    btw do u no a guy from woodhouse in ur classes ?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    talktalk have issues, I have it....sometimes randomly it's crap, and does get throttled, particularly in the afternoon.
    But check if that version doesn't have a download limit.
    btw do u no a guy from woodhouse in ur classes ?
    how much does it get throttled? does it affect you a lot? can't say i've ever noticed it myself when i was living at home (on talktalk).

according to their site it's 40gb but according to one of their advisers it's 80gb. i don't think it'll really be an issue, nothing ever happened when both me and my brother were at living at home and we're both crazy downloaders.

at UCL? probably. inbox me a name!
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    how much does it get throttled? does it affect you a lot? can't say i've ever noticed it myself when i was living at home (on talktalk).

according to their site it's 40gb but according to one of their advisers it's 80gb. i don't think it'll really be an issue, nothing ever happened when both me and my brother were at living at home and we're both crazy downloaders.

at UCL? probably. inbox me a name!
    Well if you live in Camden, you can sometimes tell that your being throttled. But i happens maybe once a week or so when you notice.
    The 3rd time I was warned, they added £5 on automatically for an extra 40gb, so I just got it upgraded to the topone without a limit
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    do you go over the limit a lot then? and is it 40gb or 80gb?
    i didn't think we'd use that much in a month! is that all through downloading stuff/watching stuff online?
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    do you go over the limit a lot then? and is it 40gb or 80gb?
    i didn't think we'd use that much in a month! is that all through downloading stuff/watching stuff online?
    Well the in the first contract i went over 3 times in 18 months............normally it's 40gb as I recall, but you should check.
    Yeah, and other stuff..........especially if your getting it for a house to share with other students, you'll reach ur limit pretty quickly.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    We're going for Zen in our house next year. Fibre, 80/20, 200GB peak cap, unlimited off peak, £40/mo I think it was? Don't even touch Talk Talk.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Well the in the first contract i went over 3 times in 18 months............normally it's 40gb as I recall, but you should check.
    Yeah, and other stuff..........especially if your getting it for a house to share with other students, you'll reach ur limit pretty quickly.
    was the contract for unlimited downloads? cos if it was, i'd be blood outraged. 40Gb =/= unlimited.

i've looked into it a bit more, and according to this:

http://www.uswitch (dot) com/broadband/news/2012/06/talktalk_brings_back_unlimited_u sage_on_essentials_package/

the unlimited usage thing was only just reintroduced. i might be ok then!
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    was the contract for unlimited downloads? cos if it was, i'd be blood outraged. 40Gb =/= unlimited.

i've looked into it a bit more, and according to this:

http://www.uswitch (dot) com/broadband/news/2012/06/talktalk_brings_back_unlimited_u sage_on_essentials_package/

the unlimited usage thing was only just reintroduced. i might be ok then!
    Oh no, the original one was 40gb, which changed it to the new contracts which had unlimited
    Their customer service is appalling ¬¬

still would be careful with the broadband....getting fibre is far better in comparison but is more costly
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovelyLT)
    Hi,
    thanks!

P.S. I'm in Edinburgh
    Pretty simple, unless you live like 200m from the exchange stay away from ADSL2. That leaves you with BT infinity and Virgin (cable). I've always had Virgin/Telewest Broad band and there's almost no problems. In terms of capping if you time it right you can get 15GB of downloading before it happens (every day). The reliability is also very good. If you are going to get ASDL2 BT are the only good choice. Stay away from Talk-talk and AOL.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainingshame)
    Pretty simple, unless you live like 200m from the exchange stay away from ADSL2. That leaves you with BT infinity and Virgin (cable). I've always had Virgin/Telewest Broad band and there's almost no problems. In terms of capping if you time it right you can get 15GB of downloading before it happens (every day). The reliability is also very good. If you are going to get ASDL2 BT are the only good choice. Stay away from Talk-talk and AOL.
    what's so bad about TalkTalk? i know the customer service is bad but the deal i mentioned works out to be seriously cheaper than virgin. is it really worth paying that much more for virgin considering the capping as well?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't recommend virgin myself- had nothing but issues from pestering me with cold calls to my connection randomly cutting out now and then with no explanation or permanent resolution. No idea who to go with instead though =/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Joining Virgin is the worst thing I ever done. But the quality of their service varies from region to region so you may be Okay.

The speed is great but their customer service is the worst I've ever endured. It's torment. I have a log of when they put me on hold for 13 hours.

Anyway, they're k. Customer service 1/10. Speed 9/10. Download limitation 6.5/10

Sky offer better customer service, slightly lower speed, bit more expensive. They have the "Truly Unlimited" package with no throttling so it's good if you're an aggressive P2P user.

BT infinity - Good customer service, average speed. Not sure about their download limits.

O2 - No clue.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Any opinions on internet in Belfast guys?

Virgin again keeps popping up
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    what's so bad about TalkTalk? i know the customer service is bad but the deal i mentioned works out to be seriously cheaper than virgin. is it really worth paying that much more for virgin considering the capping as well?
    You have a 40GB TOTAL limit for talk talk. It's ADSL2, the 24MB speeds is like to be 3-4mbps(a HD movie wouldn't stream) during off peak and near 2-3mbps at peak times. That's if you live a half a mile out of the city center. Go a mile out and you should have a quarter of that.
    And virgins is capped for max speed if you go past that limit they halve for the rest of the cycle(less than 12 hour periods).

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 14, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.