The Student Room Group

Good Introductory Books to Politics, Philosophy, and Economics

Hey everyone,

I want to learn more about current affairs: political and economic affairs.

I do read articles on the internet and in newspapers, but I'd like to read bookss that would give me a good introduction to the basics of these things: e.g. left and right wing politics; political ideologies etc.

I have read books from the Very Short Introduction series for other topics of interest; but I believe they aren't really introductions: a lot are simply philosophical writings by Oxford professors who jump into too much detail, and avoid introductions in some cases!

Hence, does anyone recommend good books to start off with? ie. Economics for Dummies, or whatever?

Thanks very much!
Reply 1
The best method to stay alert about the politics and philosophy to read newspaper and columns of the latest events. I like to do these things to stay active in the world.
Reply 2
Original post by PianoLuke
Hey everyone,

I want to learn more about current affairs: political and economic affairs.

I do read articles on the internet and in newspapers, but I'd like to read bookss that would give me a good introduction to the basics of these things: e.g. left and right wing politics; political ideologies etc.

I have read books from the Very Short Introduction series for other topics of interest; but I believe they aren't really introductions: a lot are simply philosophical writings by Oxford professors who jump into too much detail, and avoid introductions in some cases!

Hence, does anyone recommend good books to start off with? ie. Economics for Dummies, or whatever?

Thanks very much!

Russells History of Modern Philosophy is the best introduction. Michael Sandel's book Justice is a good primer in moral philosophy.
Also History of ideas by Peter Watson gives you great context.

There are lots of decent economics introductions out there, for example free lunch... Perhaps a decent book on sociology to give you a centre left perspective, with Friedman's Capitalism and Freedom giving an opposing but equally appealing view.

The state we're in and peston's who runs britain? are also useful guides to modern britain.

Quick Reply