The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies Exam~How did it go?

For those who sat higher modern studies exam. How did it go?

I personally found it went well. The only question I got stuck on for the essays was possibly B5 as I found both topics not so greatly worded.

I found A1 was a really good topic plenty of recent events to talk about.

A4, voting behavior questions was excellent loved that as it was similar to last years question.

C9 Was good because I mainly revised powers of the president.

The DME was an odd topic. I can't say much on it other than it went okay for me. I was kinda hoping minimum pricing on alcohol would come up but alas it did not.

So how did it go for those who sat it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I thought the dme is was odd but easy, 1b alright, 1 d a treat, I did the one that was reducing gender inequalities and that was a bit thin I think bt I hated the USA one, I actually can't do American politics my essay didnt even take up 2 Sides of the answer book. So I don't really know but I got 87% in my prelim so that should stand up for an appeal I needs be
Reply 2
Original post by Derri-95
For those who sat higher modern studies exam. How did it go?

I personally found it went well. The only question I got stuck on for the essays was possibly B5 as I found both topics not so greatly worded.

I found A1 was a really good topic plenty of recent events to talk about.

A4, voting behavior questions was excellent loved that as it was similar to last years question.

C9 Was good because I mainly revised powers of the president.

The DME was an odd topic. I can't say much on it other than it went okay for me. I was kinda hoping minimum pricing on alcohol would come up but alas it did not.

So how did it go for those who sat it?

I think it went ok for me. For Question B6 i talked about both ethnic groups and gender. Worried i might have lost marks for that question:frown:

I found the DME quite hard. If i do get a grade out of this subject it will be no more than a B.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
I thought the questions were good! was I only one who did welfare state? I answered every question with 3 paragraphs so hoping for at least 9 marks for each! The DME was hard not too sure how that went struggled with background knowledge
Reply 4
Original post by sophiemcbarron
I thought the questions were good! was I only one who did welfare state? I answered every question with 3 paragraphs so hoping for at least 9 marks for each! The DME was hard not too sure how that went struggled with background knowledge

I managed to use all sources at least twice and like 9 pieces of bk i just linked everuthing to money and the reccession but my America essay only had 5 paragraphs (inc. intro and conc.) but my others had like 8-10 paragraphs (inc intro and conc) so I'm not too worried was soo nervous tho.
Reply 5
I was quite happy overall! The wording of A1 was a bit funny and offputting but A4 was a gift I thought, I got quite a bit for gender inequalities and then I was happy with America because Powers of the President is all I really know for it!! Bit of an odd topic with the DME but i managed to link all the sources together and got a few pieces of bk in there, so fingers crossed!
Reply 6
Original post by tiger5000
I managed to use all sources at least twice and like 9 pieces of bk i just linked everuthing to money and the reccession but my America essay only had 5 paragraphs (inc. intro and conc.) but my others had like 8-10 paragraphs (inc intro and conc) so I'm not too worried was soo nervous tho.

Is your 8-10 paragraphs including one for point and another for rebutal? Cause that seems excessive lol
Reply 7
i definitely thought it was more difficult than 2011. I chose Local authorities, UK politics, failure to reduce gender inequalities and effect of foreign aid. I thought it went OK, I thought local authorities was quite an awkward question though.

DME was quite strange, was hoping on minimum pricing too :tongue: I reccommended the proposal.

Hoping for an A!
Reply 8
All questions were fine for me apart from C9. I was running out of time so therefore only got 2 powers of the President written down which included Congress influence although I heavily analysed them. The paper 2 questions took me much longer than they should of - I found the statements to quote were slightly more confusing compared to others I've practiced. I also ran out of time for the DME which I slightly rushed. Overall it was pretty good, although I C9 and the DME could have went better. Wouldn't of asked for any other essay questions though! :grin:
Reply 9
Are the markers generally good at reading hand writing becuase mines was quite bad in paper 2 to be honest

bit thrown back by the DME though
Think they were probably the best essays for me - A4, B5/6, C9 and C11.

A4 - media (probably the best question possible as it is general knowledge mostly)
B5 - Welfare State (i picked that one as thought it was coming up)
B6 - Gender OR ethnic inequalities (not the best question because it asked for just one and previously the usually asked gender and/or ethnic)
C9 - Congress and the President (most people thought it was coming up anyway)
C11 - foreign aid (best question possible because it was so vague and not specific to anything)

They were basically all the questions which were predicted on here, so well done.

The DME was a weird topic but it wasn't really a difficult DME once you took the topic out of the equation.
Loved the exam paper, could not have been better for me. Three out of four of the essays I did was something i'd revised the night before and the one that I didn't was voting behaviours since we were so sure it would be systems but it was one of the safe topics.

The DME I found a lot easier than the one in the prelim we had, I hadn't really revised or looked up anything for it but it fit in nicely with a lot of sociological stuff for the own knowledge and used all the sources at least once. Went for the recommendation but found it hard to use all the sources, managed it in the end though. Fingers crossed. XD
Reply 12
Didn't think it was all that bad, pretty chuffed with the essay questions (did media influence, welfare state, powers of the president and Chinese democracy) besides having to choose between local government and China. DME was pretty odd, and kinda struggled to find relevant background knowledge to link to the topic, but reckon I managed to make it work in the end.
Reply 13
Found it ok! :biggrin: Paper 1 was really good as the essay questions were perfect for me! Did the media one, Welfare State one, Powers of the President and the China question. DME was harder than my prelim and at the start, I was taken aback at the question but after carefully looking at it, I think I was able to do a good report with BK in it!

Fingers crossed that we've all done well! :smile:
Reply 14
I was so annoyed that voting behaviour came up. I purposely didn't study it cause everyone was so certain it wouldn't come up. And it would have been an easy one for me!
Reply 15
I done higher moddy last year and loved it so quite interested in how this years went.

What was the dme on? lots of people said it was odd, but nobodys actually said what it was on.

cheers :smile:
Reply 16
The DME was whether you propose or reject breakthrough- which allocated 33% of uni places to students from a working class background.

i thought the questions were perfect. my teacher predicted them. I done the South africa, powers of president, factors that influence voting behaviour and gov. response to gender.

however, my teach does believe that an electrol systems question was pulled from the exam because so many people suspected it.
Reply 17
Original post by Jonzo_Boy
I done higher moddy last year and loved it so quite interested in how this years went.

What was the dme on? lots of people said it was odd, but nobodys actually said what it was on.

cheers :smile:

About allocating a thrid of university places for students from working class familes! I struggled with BK for that
Reply 18
Original post by gleek94
The DME was whether you propose or reject breakthrough- which allocated 33% of uni places to students from a working class background.

i thought the questions were perfect. my teacher predicted them. I done the South africa, powers of president, factors that influence voting behaviour and gov. response to gender.

however, my teach does believe that an electrol systems question was pulled from the exam because so many people suspected it.

Oh really? I kind of thought it could be media as last years was a bit general on voting behavior so I assumed it would be something more speific
Reply 19
Original post by sophiemcbarron
About allocating a thrid of university places for students from working class familes! I struggled with BK for that

Sounds tough, don't even know what I would write. Hope you done well, I'm sure you will have :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending