Hi, I studied Dietetics at King's and am working on a research project currently. We are trying to recruit volunteers to our study so please get in touch if you think you might be interested.
King’s College London are currently recruiting volunteers to participate in The OptiGut Study which is a 10-week randomised controlled trial investigating the effect of natural foods and fluids on gut health in adults. Research suggests that populations with a healthy stool weight and gut transit time (the time it takes for a food to pass though the gut) have a reduced risk of bowel disorders. Fibre and fluids may help to maintain regular bowel habits. The bacteria in the bowel also contribute to normal bowel function and may be affected by diet. Therefore the use of dietary intervention has much promise for improving bowel function and helping to prevent bowel disorders.
You may be eligible if you:
- Are aged 18-65 years
- Do not consume many whole grain cereals, fruits or vegetables
- Open their bowels 3-6 times a week (i.e. less than once a day)
Here’s what we’d ask you to do:
- Consume a natural fibre food or a natural drink daily, for 4 weeks
- Provide stool samples (two 7-day collections during the 10 weeks) plus two samples that need to be delivered to us within an hour of being passed
- Have your gut motility (the time it takes for food to pass through your gut) measured by X-Ray
- Keep diaries of your bowel habits and diet.
- Complete questionnaires on your appetite and physical activity.
It involves study visits to Waterloo and Whitechapel, so we’re looking for London-based people. On completion of the study you will be compensated for your time and may claim up to £15 for travel expenses.
We’ve also got a website with more information about the study - see http://tinyurl.com/optigut
If you’d like to take part, or know someone that might, please get in touch: [email protected] or call 0207 848 4613.
Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
Already a member?
Oops, something wasn't right
please check the following:
Not got an account?
Sign up now
© Copyright The Student Room 2015 all rights reserved
The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.
Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22
Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE