The Student Room Group

How do I act/what do I say when I go to the barbers?

Black guys in particular because I used to go to black barbers

I get really anxious when waiting to get my haircut at the barbers because all the black guys look intimidating and rough...they can do their job well but I get nervous. You know those type of black guys who think they're hard and put a screw face on 24/7. Every black babers shop I see, they all look intimidating whereas the white/asain barbers look quite friendly.

In that case, I ain't been to the barbers since last summer and I'm relying on my dad to cut my hair. I'm 18 and still getting my hair cut at home. :sigh:

I can't go to the white/asain barbers because they can't do it well.

So, what do you do?

Do you just go in and sit down and wait for them to call you?

Or do you go straight up to them and talk.??

My dad used to follow me all the time and now he's saying I should go on my own
:s-smilie: My dad and I went to get our haircut at the same time...

This is probably easy for most of you guys but I HATE going to the barbers.

Scroll to see replies

you go to a barber?

Would you go to a GP for open heart surgery?

i wouldnt pay a barber to cut my hair, sooner do it myself then id have an excuse as to why it look crap.

Go to a hairdresser, they can do it well
Reply 2
Original post by silverbolt
you go to a barber?

i wouldnt pay a barber to cut my hair, sooner do it myself then id have an excuse as to why it look crap.

Barbers are better for me because I generally have short hair.

Pretty difficult cutting your own hair :erm:
Original post by Anonymous
Barbers are better for me because I generally have short hair.

Pretty difficult cutting your own hair :erm:

Short hair? Hairdressers can cut short hair

Buy a shaving kit, youll get them in boots
Reply 4
Short hair? Hairdressers can cut short hair

Buy a shaving kit, youll get them in boots

Thanks for your help.

So, when you go to the hairdressers, do you just go in and sit down. Or what?
:colondollar:

By the way, are you black?
You have to make an appointment for a hairdressers. Then, when you do go in your go up to the desk (most have them as they're like salons) and say who you are and what time your appointment is :smile: My brother goes to the barbers and you just kinda nod at the guy, take a seat and wait until the people who were there first have been unless they say you can go first. (My brother's mixed race by the way)
Reply 6
Just go right up and do that thing touching knuckles and say wag1 dread/fam/blood

:borat:
Reply 7
Just go in and sit down and they will call you when its your turn
Are you for real op? I can't believe that anyone can actually have such poor social interaction skills...
you go to a barber?

He said he's black..

For most black guys, if you want a 'trendy' hairstyle or anything other then a buzz cut, you can't simply stroll into a typical hair salon, since they will probably not have any idea what you're talking about or will send shockwaves via your hairline.

I get really anxious when waiting to get my haircut at the barbers because all the black guys look intimidating and rough...they can do their job well but I get nervous. You know those type of black guys who think they're hard and put a screw face on 24/7. Every black babers shop I see, they all look intimidating whereas the white/asain barbers look quite friendly.

In that case, I ain't been to the barbers since last summer and I'm relying on my dad to cut my hair. I'm 18 and still getting my hair cut at home. :sigh:

So, what do you do?

If it really bothers you, I would advise you to go and cut your hair early in the day. Check when it opens and try and get there within 20 minutes of opening. It won't be busy and will be far less intimidating. Usually, I just go there, and say cool lol, and then sit and wait my turn.. :unsure:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Sit down,wait till.the barber you want is free.Tell him how you want your hair.when he's finished pay and leave

Lol my barber's isn't intimidating their always making jokes its been like that at all my barber's
Reply 11
Original post by thecookiemonster
Are you for real op? I can't believe that anyone can actually have such poor social interaction skills...

I won't neg you but I don't have poor social interaction skills.

I'm a pretty confident guy but when you're in a confined space full of intimidating guys, especially when it's packed, I get nervous.
Reply 12
Original post by Tsunami2011
He said he's black..

For most black guys, if you want a 'trendy' hairstyle or anything other then a buzz cut, you can't simply stroll into a typical hair salon, since they will probably not have any idea what you're talking about or will send shockwaves via your hairline.

If it really bothers you, I would advise you to go and cut your hair early in the day. Check when it opens and try and get there within 20 minutes of hoping. It won't be busy and will be far less intimidating. Usually, I just go there, and say cool lol, and then sit and wait my turn.. :unsure:

Thanks for that, that's what I mean to say.
Normally, black guys go to the barbers

Anyways, last year I tried to go at less peak times, even then, I was a bit nervous, but it wasn't too bad
Reply 13
Original post by the bear
Just go right up and do that thing touching knuckles and say wag1 dread/fam/blood

:borat:

It's blud :sly:

And I don't normally say those stupid slang words :smile:
Reply 14
It's blud :sly:

And I don't normally say those stupid slang words :smile:

blud jam dat hype yeh
Reply 15
Well, you go in there, sit down and wait, then sit down in the chair and tell the barber what you want done with your hair. They do it for you, you pay them, then you go on your way.
Reply 16
Original post by tehforum
blud jam dat hype yeh

:tongue:

Original post by Mr.Zen
Well, you go in there, sit down and wait, then sit down in the chair and tell the barber what you want done with your hair. They do it for you, you pay them, then you go on your way.

:sigh: I guess so

So, what do you do?

loool, I HATE GOING TO THE BARBERS, too i'm black and also 18, barbers are usually fully of either young ghetto african or Yardie barbers.

Walking in there can be intimidating as their usuall blasting their music out and staring at you intently. For me as i have a mohican i usually walk in and wait for them to call me up, i prefer this one barber who always does my hair good so sometimes when i get called up and he's still cutting someones hair i let the person waiting go ahead of me.

But in general barbers are just intimidating and it's why i don't go as regularly as i should, i go about once ever two months. When you walk in on a match day like Saturday it's usually full of ghetto, rowdy, loud and annoying black people and it can be really intimdating when the barbers is like full of people and you know none of them.

The white/asian barbers always seem alot more friendly when i walk by, there alot more customer friendly, it's not packed out with a bunch of people there's not loud music blasting out etc. But the white and asian barbers can't really cut black hair that well as their not used to it so i always stick to black barbers eventhough i really do hate them.
Reply 18
Original post by Alevelsareboring
loool, I HATE GOING TO THE BARBERS, too i'm black and also 18, barbers are usually fully of either young ghetto african or Yardie barbers.

Walking in there can be intimidating as their usuall blasting their music out and staring at you intently. For me as i have a mohican i usually walk in and wait for them to call me up, i prefer this one barber who always does my hair good so sometimes when i get called up and he's still cutting someones hair i let the person waiting go ahead of me.

But in general barbers are just intimidating and it's why i don't go as regularly as i should, i go about once ever two months. When you walk in on a match day like Saturday it's usually full of ghetto, rowdy, loud and annoying black people and it can be really intimdating when the barbers is like full of people and you know none of them.

The white/asian barbers always seem alot more friendly when i walk by, there alot more customer friendly, it's not packed out with a bunch of people there's not loud music blasting out etc. But the white and asian barbers can't really cut black hair that well as their not used to it so i always stick to black barbers eventhough i really do hate them.

Everything you wrote is 100% true!!
Ha! I thought I was alone :colondollar:

When I used to go, it would usually be in the morning or just before school ends.

Why do they have to be intimidating with the way they look.
For that reason, I can't go to a new barber.

My friend is asain and he walks into any white/asain barber whenever he fancies it tbh. I looked inside and it wasn't packed and it looked friendly. It was 4PM as well!
If only they could cut black hair properly!!

How do you deal with your nerves btw?
I can't tell anyone of my black mates because they will probably just laugh
Everything you wrote is 100% true!!
Ha! I thought I was alone :colondollar:

When I used to go, it would usually be in the morning or just before school ends.

Why do they have to be intimidating with the way they look.
For that reason, I can't go to a new barber.

My friend is asain and he walks into any white/asain barber whenever he fancies it tbh. I looked inside and it wasn't packed and it looked friendly. It was 4PM as well!
If only they could cut black hair properly!!

How do you deal with your nerves btw?
I can't tell anyone of my black mates because they will probably just laugh

Lool i tell my black friends and they say the same things, they say black barbers are usually loud and annoying and they hate to go.

The barbers is probably the most unprofessional environment i've ever seen seen as it IS A BUSINESS, people shouldn't have there feet up on tables , be eating chicken on the side or not even giving you a hello when you walk in lol.

They should be like Hi or take a seat and a barber will be with you in 10 mins etc, it's nothing like that, i usually go at closing times, that's when i know my specific barber who always does my hair is there and i know it won't be packed and i can be in and out of there quickly.

It really is unprofessional i had some Yardie man biting chicken while he was cutting my hair, taking phonecalls mid hair cut i mean...really. Passing me on to some rookie barber half way through because he got board or whatever t really is a joke.

Yeah asian and white barbers are always less intimidating and PROFESSIONAL as it is a business you know, we are customers so we should be treated with some level of respect lol. As with the nerves, i just sit there and silently wait, it usually is hella awkward but i pass the time by playing on my phone or reading a newspaper, i have no clue why they look at you intimidatingly lol when i'm the guy paying part of their wage lol...RIDICULOUS.

Quick Reply