The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8500
Original post by rock.and.rose
Hi all. I hope everyone is OK. I'm now back and ready to return to normal service.

My school were incredibly supportive after the death of my cousin, and allowed me to have two days off school, to attend the funeral in the States. I flew out to LA and back within three days, which left me very jet-lagged, but I wouldn't have missed my cousin's funeral.

Anyway, I don't want to make everyone miserable, but when I was last on here I made a comment about how bullying sucks as it destroys lives. Well the reason I said that, is because that's what happened to my family. My cousin committed suicide because he couldn't cope with the bullying anymore. He had changed schools, but they continued to bully him online, and he just didn't want to go on.

In the States, people can be prosecuted for driving someone to suicide because of bullying, especially if they use words like "go kill yourself". My cousin had obviously planned his suicide to the last detail, because he had printed out screen dumps of the abuse that had been sent his way during his last week, as he knew the kids behind it would delete everything. Sure enough, in those messages, he was being told to "kill yourself, as no-one will miss you, not even your family." :cry2:

So yeah, the four main perpetrators are being investigated, and have been told it is "very likely" they will face charges.

Like I said, I don't want to make anyone miserable, but I thought I'd explain why I'd been absent for about a couple of weeks.

Right now that's out the way...

Had my first exam yesterday - English Lit - went OK I think.

Now on study leave, did some studying earlier, as I woke up at 7am. Having a break now.

I'm so sorry to hear about your cousin passing away, my condolences to you and your family.
Glad you arrived there and back safely, and I wish you the best for all your exams these next few weeks.
(edited 11 years ago)
To those that are doing AQA English Literature Unit 2: poerty across time....

How are the questions going to be structured?
After having a glance at the past paper, one question is based on the poems we have studied and you need to compare, and the next question is the unseen poem in which you don't need to compare? Is this right or am I getting something wrong?

xx
Reply 8502
Original post by justanotherindigo
To those that are doing AQA English Literature Unit 2: poerty across time....

How are the questions going to be structured?
After having a glance at the past paper, one question is based on the poems we have studied and you need to compare, and the next question is the unseen poem in which you don't need to compare? Is this right or am I getting something wrong?

xx

First question will allow you to choose from a possible two comparison questions (one poem will be named, you get to choose what to compare it with) from one section (ie Character and Voice) of poetry. You will need to compare the two poems and will be marked out of 32 if I remember correctly.
The second question will be an unseen poem and the question will be based on a)What the poem is about and b)How the poet shows this. It will be marked out of 18.
Reply 8503
Original post by c3ntury
Ouch, someone in my year got permanently excluded (not allowed to take his exams at school, or go to prom) for making a false profile about a member of staff on Facebook and putting stuff like 'fluent in Chinese and bull****'. He would have left in a week... :/

They can ban people from taking exams? Didn't he pay for them already and everything? I understand how they'd exclude him from prom...but it's pretty harsh to not allow him to take his GCSEs!
Reply 8504
Original post by Clara.
They can ban people from taking exams? Didn't he pay for them already and everything? I understand how they'd exclude him from prom...but it's pretty harsh to not allow him to take his GCSEs!

You can ban him from taking exams in a certain place, so he'll just have to go to the exam centre.

And he doesn't pay, state school.
Original post by mandi21
I'm so sorry to hear about your cousin passing away, my condolences do you and your family.
Glad you arrived there and back safely, and I wish you the best for all your exams these next few weeks.

Original post by Clara.

Hey nice to meet 2 new members :biggrin:
Reply 8506
Original post by c3ntury
You can ban him from taking exams in a certain place, so he'll just have to go to the exam centre.

Oh whoops, where I live we have to pay for them :/ I guess it's not that bad if he just has to go to the exam centre...

and blueray- nice to meet you too! (:
Original post by c3ntury

I think he could pay to sit as an external candidate.
Reply 8508
Original post by Clara.
Oh whoops, where I live we have to pay for them :/ I guess it's not that bad if he just has to go to the exam centre...

Where's that? :smile:

Original post by multiplexing-gamer
I think he could pay to sit as an external candidate.

Probably, although he's just said he's going to another school to finish school off. :smile:
Reply 8509
Original post by blueray
Hey nice to meet 2 new members :biggrin:

Haha, hey there! Nice to meet you too! :biggrin:
Original post by Clara.

Haha thanks, to quote press that +"" button next to quote :smile:
Original post by mandi21
Haha, hey there! Nice to meet you too! :biggrin:

How are you? :biggrin:
Original post by rock.and.rose
Hi all. I hope everyone is OK. I'm now back and ready to return to normal service.

My school were incredibly supportive after the death of my cousin, and allowed me to have two days off school, to attend the funeral in the States. I flew out to LA and back within three days, which left me very jet-lagged, but I wouldn't have missed my cousin's funeral.

Anyway, I don't want to make everyone miserable, but when I was last on here I made a comment about how bullying sucks as it destroys lives. Well the reason I said that, is because that's what happened to my family. My cousin committed suicide because he couldn't cope with the bullying anymore. He had changed schools, but they continued to bully him online, and he just didn't want to go on.

In the States, people can be prosecuted for driving someone to suicide because of bullying, especially if they use words like "go kill yourself". My cousin had obviously planned his suicide to the last detail, because he had printed out screen dumps of the abuse that had been sent his way during his last week, as he knew the kids behind it would delete everything. Sure enough, in those messages, he was being told to "kill yourself, as no-one will miss you, not even your family." :cry2:

So yeah, the four main perpetrators are being investigated, and have been told it is "very likely" they will face charges.

Like I said, I don't want to make anyone miserable, but I thought I'd explain why I'd been absent for about a couple of weeks.

Right now that's out the way...

Had my first exam yesterday - English Lit - went OK I think.

Now on study leave, did some studying earlier, as I woke up at 7am. Having a break now.

:hugs: Thinking of you and your family in this tough time. Glad to know you're exams have gotten off to a good start though :h:

I really hope the investigation is successful too and hope justice can be done! Sick, sick people.
My school are making all the year 11s create yearbook comments, i have not got round to writing my piece but i did however read others.
This is how my friend started off
Where you want to see yourself in 10 years
Hopefully a billionaire or his wife i'd go either way
Describe yourself in 3 words
Irreplaceable, unforgetable and irresistible
My other friend wrote in the favourite food section
I love me some KFC:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 8513
Original post by blueray
How are you? :biggrin:

I'm fine thanks, tired of revision but it's all worth it aha. How about yourself? :smile:
Original post by mandi21
I'm fine thanks, tired of revision but it's all worth it aha. How about yourself? :smile:

Feeling like you :biggrin: What you revising?
Original post by lil-mazie
My school are making all the year 11s create yearbook comments, i have not got round to writing my piece but i did however read others.
This is how my friend started off
Where you want to see yourself in 10 years
Hopefully a billionaire or his wife i'd go either way
Describe yourself in 3 words
Irreplaceable, unforgetable and irresistible
My other friend wrote in the favourite food section
I love me some KFC:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

:biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 8516
Original post by c3ntury
Where's that? :smile:

Probably, although he's just said he's going to another school to finish school off. :smile:

Hong Kong (: Hahahaha he seems so relaxed about his future!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8517
Original post by blueray
Feeling like you :biggrin: What you revising?

I've been revising RE, due to the lack of it I did during Easter since I was more focused on history and other subjects aha.
What have you been revising? :smile:
Original post by mandi21
I've been revising RE, due to the lack of it I did during Easter since I was more focused on history and other subjects aha.
What have you been revising? :smile:

Same! You doing the second exam? :biggrin:
Reply 8519
Original post by blueray
Same! You doing the second exam? :biggrin:

Yeah, I did the first one last summer. Did you? :smile:

Latest