The Student Room Group

Quick question.. what does this question mean?

Explain why Britain signed an alliance with Japan in 1902.

Do I talk about just why Britain wanted to, or can I talk about what Japan had to gain?
Reply 1
But then wouldn't it be "Explain why Britain and Japan signed an alliance in 1902?"

I'm so confused :s-smilie:
Reply 2
The question says explain why Britain signed, not explain why Japan signed. You should explain the British motivations.
Reply 3
Original post by Bobifier
The question says explain why Britain signed, not explain why Japan signed. You should explain the British motivations.

But that's the thing, it's a 24 mark question and I won't run out of time because I don't have enough things to talk about.

This is all I can find:

1 Could no longer follow the splendid isolation policy, worrying about the rising powers of Germany, France and Russia etc.

2. After the Boer War, countries felt hostile towards Britain so they struggled to find an alliance. The UK found common ground between Japan, in 1900 Russia occupied Manchuria, China and Japan wanted Russia to stay away from China.

3. Keep an eye out of Russia, India and China. India was considered the 'crown-trophy of the Empire' and was vital to Britain's economic interests, signing this agreement could be seen as a deterrent to Russia in intervening in either countries.

4. Germany and France had a good naval position in Eastern Europe, Alliance with Japan would strengthen their naval position in that area. Germany and France's naval position was a threat to China, who's economy Britain owned.

Obviously this isn't worth 24 marks, can someone recommend me some other points?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending