The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Have you noticed how well sunil narine spins the ball?
Original post by dgeorge
English conditions are VERY different from WI conditions, so I'm hoping that they'll acclimatise to some degree. Doesn't take away from the fact that they're performing like crap though
I hope they do. Your bowling is good enough to against England, but your batting is a real worry. The top 3 aren't going to change are they? If not, they need to start working very hard.
Original post by shyamshah
I hope they do. Your bowling is good enough to against England, but your batting is a real worry. The top 3 aren't going to change are they? If not, they need to start working very hard.

I agree. However we COULD possibly substitute the top order with Gayle, and possibly move Darren Bravo up if Dwayne returns from the IPL
Original post by dgeorge
I agree. However we COULD possibly substitute the top order with Gayle, and possibly move Darren Bravo up if Dwayne returns from the IPL
Dwayne Bravo's not a great test player is he? Gayle will play in the ODIs probably but not gonna happen in the tests, you could use him though cause he has been in sublime form in the IPL. Shiv and Darren Bravo have a lot of work to do if it stays the way it is.
Dwayne Bravo's not a great test player is he? Gayle will play in the ODIs probably but not gonna happen in the tests, you could use him though cause he has been in sublime form in the IPL. Shiv and Darren Bravo have a lot of work to do if it stays the way it is.

He's quite a decent middle order batsman when he gets going. If I had to pick between him and Samuels, I would probably go for him.

Why do you think Gayle won't play in the tests? He does, after all, have two test triple centuries
Original post by dgeorge
He's quite a decent middle order batsman when he gets going. If I had to pick between him and Samuels, I would probably go for him.

Why do you think Gayle won't play in the tests? He does, after all, have two test triple centuries

Didnt he have a deal with WICB that he would play in the ODIs but not the tests?
Didnt he have a deal with WICB that he would play in the ODIs but not the tests?

Not that I know of. Do you have a link that says that?
Original post by dgeorge

Not right now, but might be able to find one tomorrow. I'm not 100% sure on this but I think i read an article saying this.
Original post by dgeorge

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-west-indies-2012/content/story/563647.html
Original post by Frodo Baggins
Have you noticed how well sunil narine spins the ball?

hardly seems to put any action on the ball, but it does spin. batsmen cant pick him either. Thas why they call him a Mystery Bowler

Have you noticed that Rohit Sharma is batting like a master today with all the shots but on other days he can look like a useless amateur? It is why they call him the Mystery Batsmen
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/18042293

Interesting thought that- pity if this does become the case (best England test side ever) that so few people will have seen them play in real life or even on tv. Test cricket should be on terrestrial tv, and some county games, or interest will reduce.
Original post by Raiden10
I would have thought IPL standard to be at least as high at international, at least in the top teams.

Then you've thought completely wrongly. Pakistan, India, England, Australia, South Africa, Sri Lanka and probably New Zealand would all trounce Chennai, Bangalore, Kolkata and Mumbai (probably the best set of teams, based on current and past performances). West Indies probably would beat them too, if only because of Gayle.

There is a giant gulf in class between the bowling and fielding in international team s and IPL teams, and I'd fancy the international batsmen as well to be honest.
Original post by Strangeclouds
Then you've thought completely wrongly. Pakistan, India, England, Australia, South Africa, Sri Lanka and probably New Zealand would all trounce Chennai, Bangalore, Kolkata and Mumbai (probably the best set of teams, based on current and past performances). West Indies probably would beat them too, if only because of Gayle.

There is a giant gulf in class between the bowling and fielding in international team s and IPL teams, and I'd fancy the international batsmen as well to be honest.

You clarely have no clue about anything, particularly becuase you seem not to realise those international teams best players play in IPL teams anyway, becuase it is the highest standard T20 league.
Hence why an IPL team won the champions league
Filp, Sharma going berserk at the moment for Mumbai - striking at 181

And now knocked a 100 in 52 balls
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by I-Am-A-Tripod
You clarely have no clue about anything, particularly becuase you seem not to realise those international teams best players play in IPL teams anyway, becuase it is the highest standard T20 league.
Hence why an IPL team won the champions league

Highest standard T20 league doesn't mean anything in relation to the international game, and that's debatable. I'd agree that the top IPL teams are probably the best on Indian wickets, the likes of Chennai, Delhi and KKR, but I can see most English and Australian teams dominating Pune, and especially if the IPL players honoured their other commitments as they would normally do in season.

Today is a match between arguably the two strongest teams in IPL, the consistent Mumbai Indians and leaders KKR. Of the two teams, which players would make it to their international teams? Rohit, Pollard, Malinga, Gambhir, Kallis, Shakib, Lee and Narine. That's 8 out of 22 players, in 2 of the best teams. The idea that the IPL, filled with mediocre Indian domestic players that have fielding standards that don't match my old U-16 team, is on a par with the rigorously professional international game is stupid.
Original post by barnetlad
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/18042293

Interesting thought that- pity if this does become the case (best England test side ever) that so few people will have seen them play in real life or even on tv. Test cricket should be on terrestrial tv, and some county games, or interest will reduce.

I don't think that Test match attendances have ever been better in England. The reason why England have become so good lately is because of improved technology leading to excellent coaching (along with increased stress on fielding and fitness) and that's as a result of the money they get from Sky every year.
Original post by Strangeclouds
Highest standard T20 league doesn't mean anything in relation to the international game, and that's debatable. I'd agree that the top IPL teams are probably the best on Indian wickets, the likes of Chennai, Delhi and KKR, but I can see most English and Australian teams dominating Pune, and especially if the IPL players honoured their other commitments as they would normally do in season.

Today is a match between arguably the two strongest teams in IPL, the consistent Mumbai Indians and leaders KKR. Of the two teams, which players would make it to their international teams? Rohit, Pollard, Malinga, Gambhir, Kallis, Shakib, Lee and Narine. That's 8 out of 22 players, in 2 of the best teams. The idea that the IPL, filled with mediocre Indian domestic players that have fielding standards that don't match my old U-16 team, is on a par with the rigorously professional international game is stupid.

my point was the idea of an international T20 team playing an IPL one is in itslef an idiots one - becuase the best IPL teams also field the best international players- so they coulndt be in 2 teams at once. The principle that an IPL team is made up of (generally) 4 top class foreigners, a couple of indian internationals and maybe 5 fairly average domestic players is what you will find in any t20 league - look at the English championship, which is full of crap journeymen.
If you are suggessting to compare the curent international cup holders - england, who arnt really represented in the IPL, against the best of the IPL, yes perhaps the comparison with some of the domestic players man for man england would come out on top, but comapred to some the better IPL players they would be inferior (gayle, dhoni, sehwag, yuvraj, raina, murali, kohli, malinga etc etc )- so its swings and roundabouts. Out of the english players have tried their hand in the IPL, only Pietersen has made any significant impact, the rest were ordinary or failures.
(edited 11 years ago)

Thanks, I hadn't realised the NOC covered the Test matches as well
Soo many people are expecting a whitewash from England and dont expect WI to put up a fight.
Come on WI, prove to them that they are wrong.
Soo many people are expecting a whitewash from England and dont expect WI to put up a fight.
Come on WI, prove to them that they are wrong.

Considering the Windies just got thrashed by the England B team, that's not an unreasonable expectation.

In other news - Bairstow included for the first test at the expense of injured Bopara.

Latest