The Student Room Group

Is this enough for Warwick?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by roh
Someone should have told Elly Nowell that before she pulled out of Oxford for it :tongue: Wonder if she did get in.

Incidentally how hard is the new LNAT?! I remember it wasn't massively uncommon to get 23/24 when it was only out of 30!

Also KnowstheLaw remember that one tutor's interpretation of 'interesting and unique' could be another's 'comes across as a t**t'!

Err the LNAT was a bit weird to be honest. I really can't describe it any better. I did it on my travels on a few hours sleep and could barely read the screen whilst having a mental breakdown that I wasn't getting through it quick enough :colondollar: I'm not complaining about my score though, it could have been so much worse! I think half the problem with the LNAT is pacing and sustaining your concentration. It messes with your head :tongue:

The essay...well I couldn't find a question that I actually liked so basically wrote one point in a few different ways and then summed it up on a lame cheesy comment. Then I went home and cried!

Well to be fair to the person in question, the PS couldn't be awful if Oxford accepted her!
Reply 21
Original post by Bea492
Err the LNAT was a bit weird to be honest. I really can't describe it any better. I did it on my travels on a few hours sleep and could barely read the screen whilst having a mental breakdown that I wasn't getting through it quick enough :colondollar: I'm not complaining about my score though, it could have been so much worse! I think half the problem with the LNAT is pacing and sustaining your concentration. It messes with your head :tongue:

The essay...well I couldn't find a question that I actually liked so basically wrote one point in a few different ways and then summed it up on a lame cheesy comment. Then I went home and cried!

Well to be fair to the person in question, the PS couldn't be awful if Oxford accepted her!

Absolutely! But with slightly different ones you risk being either loved or loathed and it probably depends on the tutor, which could explain her UCL miss. Fair play to her for gambling, it obviously paid off!

Also, unis sometimes just don't make sense with offers. I had a friend with straight A*s and literally no marks dropped at AS who went to Cambridge to do history and Bristol rejected her.
Reply 22
Original post by Bea492
That's crazy! I had already heard a few theories that UCL reject people who they thought had a decent shot at Oxbridge. Obviously, for your friend, it didn't matter much! Out of interest, where will you be going?

Based on that, would you say that people with pretty strong grades that apply to UCL but not Oxbridge would be at an advantage if they sent off their application after the deadline closes for Oxbridge applicants?
Reply 23
Original post by Unsworth
Based on that, would you say that people with pretty strong grades that apply to UCL but not Oxbridge would be at an advantage if they sent off their application after the deadline closes for Oxbridge applicants?

Who knows! Might be worth a try if you really don't want a shot at Oxbridge...
Reply 24
Original post by roh
Absolutely! But with slightly different ones you risk being either loved or loathed and it probably depends on the tutor, which could explain her UCL miss. Fair play to her for gambling, it obviously paid off!

Also, unis sometimes just don't make sense with offers. I had a friend with straight A*s and literally no marks dropped at AS who went to Cambridge to do history and Bristol rejected her.

How bizarre! I really feel like sometimes, with people who they think are Oxbridge dead certs, they don't like to waste an offer on them.
Reply 25
Original post by Bea492
How bizarre! I really feel like sometimes, with people who they think are Oxbridge dead certs, they don't like to waste an offer on them.

I suspect that is their thinking, but for a candidate that good why not just make them an offer on the off chance they either a) have a horror show at the interview or b) decide Oxbridge isn't for them and love your uni? Such shall remain the mysteries of UCAS I fear!
Reply 26
Original post by Bea492
Who knows! Might be worth a try if you really don't want a shot at Oxbridge...

It's an interesting theory I think..
Reply 27
Original post by roh
I suspect that is their thinking, but for a candidate that good why not just make them an offer on the off chance they either a) have a horror show at the interview or b) decide Oxbridge isn't for them and love your uni? Such shall remain the mysteries of UCAS I fear!

'Tis a mystery! I think Bristol is just sick of getting insured by Oxbridge offer holders :wink: I'd love to go undercover in admissions and see what they really think though...
Reply 28
Original post by Bea492
'Tis a mystery! I think Bristol is just sick of getting insured by Oxbridge offer holders :wink: I'd love to go undercover in admissions and see what they really think though...

I imagine them ranting like Hitler at the end of Downfall. 'Another f***ing uber candidate who thinks we don't realise when they submitted on the 13th of f***ing October that they'll never come near this bleeding university. We're so close but oh no we don't have f***ing punts so we're never going to get them. I've had enough! I'm rejecting the ****! No more will we be the fallback of Oxbridge rejects, if they stuff up the interview they can f***ing well go somewhere else *calmsdownabit*. Bl**dy Oxbridge rejects...'

At least I hope it's like this!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by roh
I imagine them ranting like Hitler at the end of Downfall. 'Another f***ing uber candidate who thinks we don't realise when they submitted on the 13th of f***ing October that they'll never come near this bleeding university. We're so close but oh no we don't have f***ing punts so we're never going to get them. I've had enough! I'm rejecting the ****! No more will we be the fallback of Oxbridge rejects, if they stuff up the interview they can f***ing well go somewhere *calmsdownabit*. Bl**dy Oxbridge rejects...'

At least I hope it's like this!

Hahahaaa! Love it! This is what I'd do if I was an admissions officer :cool:
Original post by Unsworth

You can actually apply just to Oxford/Cambridge through UCAS, and then add UCL and others in later, seeing as you have the 14 day rule where you can change courses. So might be worth doing if you want to apply to Oxford/Cambridge.

As for UCL, i know f all about law (more investment banking myself), but i know that sometimes UCL get a ridiculous number of applicants for very competitive courses; the course in question, was english literature. I got told by a student from UCL that they sometimes have too many 'perfect' applicants, so they literally fill their places, and then send out rejections. Much like an investment bank/law firm would act. Fair do's to them, it's keeping them as one of the best universities in the UK, but obviously it could maybe be better for the applicants. Prepares you for real life i guess though.
Reply 31
Original post by Industrious Orca
You can actually apply just to Oxford/Cambridge through UCAS, and then add UCL and others in later, seeing as you have the 14 day rule where you can change courses. So might be worth doing if you want to apply to Oxford/Cambridge.

As for UCL, i know f all about law (more investment banking myself), but i know that sometimes UCL get a ridiculous number of applicants for very competitive courses; the course in question, was english literature. I got told by a student from UCL that they sometimes have too many 'perfect' applicants, so they literally fill their places, and then send out rejections. Much like an investment bank/law firm would act. Fair do's to them, it's keeping them as one of the best universities in the UK, but obviously it could maybe be better for the applicants. Prepares you for real life i guess though.

Not sure about Eng Lit but for Law, I know UCL send out the majority of their offers after January/February so I don't feel that they just fill the places early. Who knows though, admissions is a crazy, mysterious world...
Original post by Bea492
Not sure about Eng Lit but for Law, I know UCL send out the majority of their offers after January/February so I don't feel that they just fill the places early. Who knows though, admissions is a crazy, mysterious world...

Yeah, well i've only heard about English Literature, so i'm not sure at all about Law. There are different admissions tutors for all different departments too, so might not be consistent across the university.
Original post by Bea492
That's crazy! I had already heard a few theories that UCL reject people who they thought had a decent shot at Oxbridge. Obviously, for your friend, it didn't matter much! Out of interest, where will you be going?

Yer i wouldn't be surprised. My friend was from a private school, so dunno if that had any bearing on their decision. I will be going to LSE (if i make the grades). You're going to Warwick right?

@Roh - yer i understand it's down to how the respective admission tutor perceive each statement. I just thought she was a rather exceptional candidate - not that it mattered in the end, Oxford was always gonna be her first choice.
Reply 34
Original post by KnowstheLaw

@Roh - yer i understand it's down to how the respective admission tutor perceive each statement. I just thought she was a rather exceptional candidate - not that it mattered in the end, Oxford was always gonna be her first choice.

Yeah, sometimes as I said they just don't make sense. My friend with the flawless AS grades also went to a below average comp (think we were around 45% A*-C for all subjects, 30 including English and Maths at the time. Though it wasn't a bad school in my opinion), EMA, FSM the works; would have boosted their diversity stats as well as the actual grades! Sometimes they just seem illogical. Don't think anyone turns down Oxford do they, other than maybe the odd organ scholar or medic.
Original post by roh
Yeah, sometimes as I said they just don't make sense. My friend with the flawless AS grades also went to a below average comp (think we were around 45% A*-C for all subjects, 30 including English and Maths at the time. Though it wasn't a bad school in my opinion), EMA, FSM the works; would have boosted their diversity stats as well as the actual grades! Sometimes they just seem illogical. Don't think anyone turns down Oxford do they, other than maybe the odd organ scholar or medic.

Yer, that is also another interesting example. Guess we'll never know, unless one of us gets a job at the UCL admissions department for Law one day :wink:
Reply 36
Yer, that is also another interesting example. Guess we'll never know, unless one of us gets a job at the UCL admissions department for Law one day :wink:

Trust me it won't be a whole dept! Admissions is usually an academic, at best 2, who wants to climb the ladder to a major admin post (because, unlike science, there's f**k all money in the research) and this is the first rung to making Head of School!
Original post by roh
Trust me it won't be a whole dept! Admissions is usually an academic, at best 2, who wants to climb the ladder to a major admin post (because, unlike science, there's f**k all money in the research) and this is the first rung to making Head of School!

Fair enough. I know UCL, have an enormous amount of applicants for their Law course - However I felt it was a shame they could not give me any conclusive feedback. All they said was that I was a 'strong applicant', but they have to reject many of these. Tell me something I don't know :wink:
Fair enough. I know UCL, have an enormous amount of applicants for their Law course - However I felt it was a shame they could not give me any conclusive feedback. All they said was that I was a 'strong applicant', but they have to reject many of these. Tell me something I don't know :wink:

Do you not think 17 on the LNAT was reason enough for them to reject you? UCL typically look for at least 20, even Nottingham specify 20 as their cut off point, but people do get in with less for a range of reasons.
Reply 39

LNAT? And I've not heard of anywhere give real feedback other than med if you got called for interview. Even Oxbridge, who've invested plenty of time and effort in interviewing you, usually give generic 'this year we had a lot of strong candidates (no s**t) etc.' stuff.

I had one where I applied for my course (Law with French), they then informed us the course was being pulled due to cost but that we'd all be put into consideration for the straight LLB. I then got rejected in spite of my 'strong performance in other areas' because my PS 'lacked sufficient focus on law alone'. Obvious reason for this which was distinctly not my fault, but shows how little they pay attention to feedback.

Quick Reply